SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Sage User

Unsatisfied Java dependency with Ubuntu

I'm trying to install sagetv-server on ubuntu. Running into this error:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6|sun-java6-jre

I have:

java-6-openjdk 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk

I have installed the JDK as seen here:

bbonner@mobileu:~$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
[sudo] password for bbonner:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-6-jre is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Sage User

I just added this repo:

add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

And ran

sudo apt-get remove openjdk-6-jre

and then

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-plugin

which did the trick.

Maybe openjdk6 should be allowed???
Old 09-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbonner View Post
Maybe openjdk6 should be allowed???
Openjdk is the surest way to see crashes and spurious bugs with java apps that I know of. Stick with the sun / oracle JRE, and you'll be fine.

Drew
Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Sage User

You can always just follow the "Easy installation using Debian packages (recommended)" method at http://www.sagetv.com/linuxOEMinstall.html and, um, oh wait, no. Nevermind. (Looks at feet.)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Sage User

I had this problem too when trying to install to Ubuntu 10.04. Ended up I needed to:

1. Make sure updates were up to date.
2. Enable the "Partners Links" in the Repositories.

Once this was done, sun-java6-bin showed up to install, and it also installed the jre files.

Sage then installed without issue.

Ray

Last edited by rockinray; 09-23-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage User

There must be some compelling reason why the easy installation instructions just sit there inaccurate. They're still there. And why the SageTV server .deb doesn't pull in all the recommended and/or required dependencies, once you've taken the missing step of updating the repositories. And why there's no SageTV-maintained .deb package for v4l-dvb.

I've got to wonder how many would-be-paying-customers didn't bite because they figured they must be doing something wrong, because they followed the easy instructions step-by-step and it didn't work. Some users might assume they should be able to trust the printed instructions, end up thinking it's their own fault SageTV doesn't work, and give up. It's a real shame because it could be easy.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookyC View Post
There must be some compelling reason why the easy installation instructions just sit there inaccurate. They're still there. And why the SageTV server .deb doesn't pull in all the recommended and/or required dependencies, once you've taken the missing step of updating the repositories. And why there's no SageTV-maintained .deb package for v4l-dvb.

I've got to wonder how many would-be-paying-customers didn't bite because they figured they must be doing something wrong, because they followed the easy instructions step-by-step and it didn't work. Some users might assume they should be able to trust the printed instructions, end up thinking it's their own fault SageTV doesn't work, and give up. It's a real shame because it could be easy.
The Linux version was actually for OEMs. Sage decided to make it available to end users but with the forum being its only support. Unless you were an OEM or paid for support. That's not to say they don't pop into the forums occasionally. (Forums are user-to-user support) And maybe they're waiting to get SageTV 7 out before updating those .deb packages and docs.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Sage User

I've seen a lot cleaner-managed products that are not necessarily pay-for (take Ubuntu itself for example). If SageTV were doing Linux users a favor on the side and it was free, that would be one thing. But you pay for something, you expect it to be reasonably polished, and you expect the documentation to be accurate.

Forums are very valuable because all can benefit from the Borgian sharing of knowledge. But I don't think the existence of the forums removes the requirement to have honest and accurate sales information. When money is involved, someone might even consider the inaccurate Ubuntu instructions as fraudulent. I'm not a lawyer or legal person of any sort, but I would think the presentation of "wow, look, it's this easy" constitutes sales talk and so maybe even fraudulent advertising?? Is the SageTV Linux OEM project in legal jeopardy? (What kind of FUD does it take to motivate?)

Here are those instructions by the way, in case you're a reader from the future, and this issue has become ancient history. (Note: sagetv.com doesn't show up on http://archive.org since Sept. 27, 2007)

Quote:
SageTV V6 for Linux OEM Edition Easy Installation Information

First install a Linux distribution which has support for Debian packages. We recommend using Ubuntu Linux which can be downloaded from: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
After Ubuntu is installed; or if you already have a Linux distro that supports Debian package installs; you can then download and install the Debian packages for SageTV.

The Debian package installers are located in the 'Other Downloads' section here:
http://sagetv.com/download.html

(end)
I brought it up formally to SageTV support only fairly recently, August 14th, after I had most things working. George Oms just said he would pass along the feedback. If I recall, the instructions were the same back in April 2010 when I first considered SageTV.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage User

Trouble installing Linux Placeshifter.. Help!

Tried the stable release and the release candidate...

Followed instructions here to install sun java.. have done so successfully..

Running Ubuntu 10.10..

Even manually verified the dependencies listed in the tarball isntall were properly installed...

When I click on the sagetv icon to start the placeshifter, nothing happens... nothing...

I checked the properties for the link and it points to "sageclient.sh".. even tried to execute that in terminal... got a command not found or similar...

Seems like folks have gotten this running, but I've tried everything suggested and came up with a big "0"..

Any ideas?

Ubuntu's made a lot of progress in the last few years.. skype was installed no problemo.. my video cam worked outta the box.. sound.. video.. VLC... plays mkv files.. audio files.. all play.. with zero problems.. but with this particular client, I feel like I'm back in the Linux world of 2004... Frustrated...

jbmia
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Sage Icon

Try using the full path to the sageclient.sh script. Eg, if you installed it into the suggested directory (/opt/sagetv/client), then try running /opt/sagetv/client/sageclient.sh

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Since you are using ubuntu, you could just install using the .deb package (which is what I've done).

I've never had an issue starting the placeshifter.

When I've downloaded the tarball, then I tend to start it from a console, using ./sageclient.sh from the sage directory as the extracted files.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage User

Tried those.. no success...

Tried this first:

"john@Ubuntu:~$ /opt/sagetv/client/sageclient.sh
Changing to SageTV directory /opt/sagetv/client"

Nothing happens... No placeshifter opens...

Then tried this:

"john@Ubuntu:~$ ./sageclient.sh
bash: ./sageclient.sh: No such file or directory"

Again, other than the no such file message, nothing happens...
Then did the following:

"john@Ubuntu:~$ cd /opt/sagetv/client
john@Ubuntu:/opt/sagetv/client$ dir
EULA.txt libgluegen-rt.so libjogl.so MiniClient.jar sageclient.sh
gluegen-rt.jar libjogl_awt.so libjtux.so mplayer
jogl.jar libjogl_cg.so libSage.so README
john@Ubuntu:/opt/sagetv/client$ /sageclient.sh
bash: /sageclient.sh: No such file or directory
john@Ubuntu:/opt/sagetv/client$ ./sageclient.sh
Changing to SageTV directory /opt/sagetv/client/.
john@Ubuntu:/opt/sagetv/client$ sageclient.sh
sageclient.sh: command not found
john@Ubuntu:/opt/sagetv/client$"

Again, Nada.. Nothing opens..

For the record, I tried the tar file first 'cause I didn't see the deb file... when that didn't work, I uninstalled and tried the deb file... that didn't work either...

I've got the sun java 6 jre installed and the other dependencies as well...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the deb file numerous times... No error.. Nothing, no app opens..

Any other ideas? A log file to check?

Thanks for the replies!

JB
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

from the command line...

# cd /opt/sagetv/client/sageclient.sh
# gedit sageclient.sh

The last 2 lines should look like this...
Code:
java -cp MiniClient.jar:jogl.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:. sage.miniclient.MiniClient $1 $2 > /dev/null 2>&1
#java -cp MiniClient.jar:jogl.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:. sage.miniclient.MiniClient $1 $2 > miniclient.log 2>&1
Comment out the first java, and uncomment the second one, so it looks like this...
Code:
#java -cp MiniClient.jar:jogl.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:. sage.miniclient.MiniClient $1 $2 > /dev/null 2>&1
java -cp MiniClient.jar:jogl.jar:gluegen-rt.jar:. sage.miniclient.MiniClient $1 $2 > miniclient.log 2>&1
exit gedit

# ./sageclient.sh

You should now have a miniclient.log in the current directory... i'd look in that log file and see what is happening.

If you get a permission error, then try, for now, running as root...

# sudo ./sageclient.sh
Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Are you sure you're using the correct java? If you run java -version from a terminal, what does it say? This?
Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_21"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_21-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 17.0-b16, mixed mode)
If not (eg, if it says something like this):
Code:
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)
then you need to run update-alternatives to make the default java be the Sun JRE. Eg:

Code:
$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection    Path                                      Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java   1061      auto mode
  1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java   1061      manual mode
  2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java       63        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in manual mode.
I know its not supposed to happen, but on my 10.04 system, something keeps resetting the java alternative to the openjdk. So I find it easiest to just install the Sun JRE myself in /opt/jre, and set my PATH to look there first. No offense, but that might be a bit over your head.. If not, you can do that and edit your .profile or .bashrc to have the line:
Code:
export PATH=/opt/jre/bin:$PATH
Drew

Last edited by drewg; 10-13-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Sage User

Fixed !

Thanks guys!

By chance, I didn't see stuckless reply and hit drewg's reply first and that was the exact problem I had!!

So, I manually changed to option 2 and attempted to start placeshifter and it popped right up..

So... next... As you've guessed it, drewg, that is a bit over my head... I've been messing with Linux for over 10 years, but it's been about 4 years since my last serious foray into it.. Mostly, when I've had problems, I"ve searched forums and just implemented as per instructions... Kinda like what we're doing here...

drewg, if you'd be so kind, if it's not a big deal, I'd appreciate you're spelling that out for me so that I reinstall jre ( I guess) and set that proper path so it looks there first... (?)

Much appreciation for the help here from everyone who responded !!

THANKS!

jbmia
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

[QUOTE=jbmia;456401]Thanks guys!

drewg, if you'd be so kind, if it's not a big deal, I'd appreciate you're spelling that out for me so that I reinstall jre ( I guess) and set that proper path so it looks there first... (?)
/QUOTE]

What I do is manually download the 32-bit jre tarball from the java.com download page (it is labeled "Linux (self-extracting file) filesize: 20.2 MB"). After it is downloaded, extract it, and make a symlink for it:
Code:
$ sudo mkdir -p /opt
$ cd /opt
$ sudo bash /tmp/jre-6u22-linux-i586.bin
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
   creating: jre1.6.0_22/
   creating: jre1.6.0_22/bin/
<...>
$ sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_22 /opt/jre
For the server, edit either startsage (for V6.6) or create a new file sagesettings (for V7.x) and put this line near the top (but below the #!/bin/bash line in startsage, which must be the first thing in the file):
Code:
export PATH=/opt/jre/bin:$PATH
To "fix" your own account so that the client is started with the correct version of java, either edit or create a file $HOME/.profile with that same line near the top.

When you're done log out, then back in again. You should now see this output for these commands:

Code:
drew@thunder:~$ echo $PATH
/opt/jre/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
drew@thunder:~$ which java
/opt/jre/bin/java
drew@thunder:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
Good luck!

Drew