SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Utility: SageTV Auto Restarter (SAR)

This is a simple executable jar that will connect to a SageTV server, determine if a restart is necessary (usually due to plugin installation/upgrades) and if it is will restart the server only if certain conditions are met. This version supports the following checks before restarting the server:
  • Minimum time until next scheduled recording
  • Do not restart if one or more clients are connected
  • Do not restart if a recording is in progress

Unzip the sar.jar to any location and run as follows:

Code:
$ java -jar sar.jar -h
sar.jar [-o|--host=localhost[:1098]] [-b|--mins-before-next-rec=15]
        [-f|--force] [-i|--ignore-clients] [-r|--reboot] [-s|--shutdown]
        [-t|--test-mode] [-v|--verbose] [-h|--help]

Default values shown above; if -t set then server is never actually restarted

-f forces restart if safe; -f with -r or -s will force sys reboot or shutdown

-i will restart server even if clients are connected

-r/-s will reboot/shutdown entire system instead of restarting SageTV
System reboots/shutdowns (-r/-s) occur on the host specified, which MAY NOT BE
THE SAGETV SERVER INSTANCE!  SageTV app restarts are ALWAYS triggered on the
SAGETV SERVER APPLICATION.  System reboot/shutdown only supported on Windows
and Linux.

Port number is the registered RMI port for the sagex-services plugin

This utility requires the sagex-services plugin be installed w/RMI enabled
I run this program from cron (Linux/Cygwin) to detect necessary restarts and do them when the server is not busy. A similar setup should be possible with the Task Scheduler on MS Windows.

This program will only succeed if you have the sagex-services plugin installed on your Sage server with the RMI service installed, enabled and running.

Download from here.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...

Last edited by Slugger; 09-27-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just to be clear, does this restart the service or the machine?
Twitter: ohpleaseno
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpleaseno View Post
Just to be clear, does this restart the service or the machine?
Currently, it just restarts the SageTV server application (it does NOT reboot the entire machine). Also, regardless of whether you specify the IP of a Sage server or a Sage client, it will ALWAYS test the state of the server host and only restart the SageTV server application.

The next version will add the option to do a complete system reboot of the Sage server host (Windows and Linux only - OS X support can be added if someone gives me the command to reboot OS X).
Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 AM
SageTVaholic

On a related note - why do upgrades of Jetty apps now require a Sage server restart? Didn't they used to upgrade on the fly?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks, Slugger!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
On a related note - why do upgrades of Jetty apps now require a Sage server restart? Didn't they used to upgrade on the fly?
Depends on how the app is packaged for Sage v7. Basically, if the Jetty app also provides a plugin implementation and that plugin implementation also wants to use code from the Jetty app then you have to move the Jetty app's code into a jar in SageTV/JARs/ since a plugin class can't access code from a Jetty war file (different class loaders) and once you move the Jetty app into SageTV/JARs/ then hot deploy is no longer an option. If you completely isolate the Jetty app from the core (meaning no plugin config via STV and no plugin implementation class OR the plugin config/impl does not use any code from the Jetty app) then you can keep it all in a war and maintain hot deploy capabilities.

For me, all my plugins use the plugin implementation framework except for SJQv3 so hot deploy is not an option for any of those plugins. The next version of SJQ will also take complete advantage of the plugin framework so it will lose its hot deploy abilities as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Latest build now available. Adds support for ability to reboot or shutdown the host running the sagex-services plugin you are connected to.

Restarting SageTV always restarts the SageTV server application, regardless of whether or not you are connecting to the server or a PC client to run SAR. However, if you specify the system reboot or shutdown option then it can only shutdown the system it connects to.

System reboot and shutdown is only supported for Windows and Linux (OS X could be added if necessary and someone has to provide me the shutdown command for OS X). The build has only been tested on Linux - I have not nor will I have an opportunity to reboot my Windows (production) server for the next few days anyways.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM
SageTVaholic

I have unsubscribed from this thread. "Quick(ish) response" support for this plugin is no more. I may or may not read further posts in this thread and if I do read them then I may or may not respond to them. More details here.