SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Sage User

update the epg at the touch of a button please

Can I have it in the new version.
I have to update the epg using two pieces of third party software then wait until the next day to see if it worked as sagetv decides to do its update. Its a pain.
Can we just point to the epg xml file and press update now?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Sage Expert

I'm curious, are you in a location that does have access to the online EPG?
(Zap2it I think)

Would be a nice feature though.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe enabling/disabling a channel in the lineup causes and EPG update.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I believe enabling/disabling a channel in the lineup causes and EPG update.

I think you are correct, but thats such a pain to get to and do. There should really be a much easier way to do it.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

One that only takes one button press instead of two?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp View Post
I'm curious, are you in a location that does have access to the online EPG?
(Zap2it I think)

Would be a nice feature though.
no, in Ireland - I use xmltv grabber

Never got the enable / disable thing to work.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Sage Expert

I use the web interface - but I agree that it would be nice to have that functionality on the configure tuners page.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
One that only takes one button press instead of two?
Lets see......

Menu (TV, default on top)
down press
down press
down press
down press
down press
down press
right press (Setup, Configuration Wizard on top)
down press
down press
down press (to Setup Video Sources)
ENTER
down press (to first tuner)
ENTER (Channel setup default at top, mine defaults to Back to Summary)
ENTER
down press
down press
down press
down press (to first station)
ENTER (to toggle off)
ENTER (to toggle on) Forces program update.
up press
up press
up press
up press
ENTER (Done with Channel Setup)

Then MENU to go back to the main Menu, otherwise you have to hit back (return on my remote) until you get back to the program you were watching.

Correct me if I'm missing something, but I see AT LEAST 27 STEPS to do this.

Some of us use a remote control, no mouse or keyboard. I use my Sony 60" LCD TV remote's DVD/VCR mode via a USB UIRT to control SageTV.

A single button click would be GREAT.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp View Post
A single button click would be GREAT.
Seriously? You want "Update EPG Now" to be the topmost item in the leftmost column of the Main Menu, so that it takes literally only one click to invoke it from the home screen?

I agree there should probably be an "Update EPG" button somewhere, probably on the Options dialog of the Program Guide screen. (And it wouldn't be hard to make a UI mod that does that.) But it's still going to take several clicks of menu navigation to get there. I have a hard time seeing how it merits any more convenient access than that.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Right, I was being a bit facetious. But in all serousness I do just use a remote as well. You realize a truly one click solution would require a dedicated button on the remote.

More realistically a "refresh EPG" option would be the source setup menu, thus would not save you from even half of that:

Menu (TV, default on top)
down press
down press
down press
down press
down press
down press
right press (Setup, Configuration Wizard on top)
down press
down press
down press (to Setup Video Sources)
ENTER
down press
down press (to Refresh EPG)
ENTER

Or more succinctly, at best, it would only save you the select and couple arrow clicks going from the Source Setup menu into the Source channel setup menu.

Doesn't seem worth the effort for something that should not be needed very often (ever really).
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Sage Expert

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Seriously? You want "Update EPG Now" to be the topmost item in the leftmost column of the Main Menu, so that it takes literally only one click to invoke it from the home screen?

I agree there should probably be an "Update EPG" button somewhere, probably on the Options dialog of the Program Guide screen. (And it wouldn't be hard to make a UI mod that does that.) But it's still going to take several clicks of menu navigation to get there. I have a hard time seeing how it merits any more convenient access than that.
No, no, no silly , IMO the best place for this button would be on the Program Guide itself (as long as I can access it via remote control) or in the sub-menu under TV.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Right, I was being a bit facetious. But in all serousness I do just use a remote as well. You realize a truly one click solution would require a dedicated button on the remote.
Doesn't seem worth the effort for something that should not be needed very often (ever really).
There was a need for this back in previous versions of SageTV, and someone pointed out a 'back door' way of evoking or forcing an update. It was more of a patch than a fix.

Sometimes I need to update if I'm looking thru the guide, and its not time to update and I see many blank spaces on the EPG. Not often, but still nice to have. Heck, 80% of the stuff SageTV can do is not used most of the time and can be accessed easier than this!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Sage Expert

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start

Glad to help
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Since there is no big EPG update button on the Main Menu, here's a trick: use Delete 3 times while highlighting the same channel in the Program Guide. Or, use Options -> Channel Manager. You'll jump to the Channel Manager, with the guide's current channel in focus. Select the channel to toggle it; or, if it is on more than 1 lineup, a dialog will open where you can toggle it on the appropriate lineups.

I think v7 updates all lineups now when one is updated, but I haven't checked that in a while.

A benefit of this trick is that people find out that the Channel Manager menu exists & can be used to edit which channels are enabled on multiple lineups and that you can remap a channel's number in the guide by jumping to this menu & remapping it... all without having to jump back & forth between your various tuners and their lineups.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would think this should be an option like update imported media. Either in the guide screen or under options would be a good place.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Since there is no big EPG update button on the Main Menu, here's a trick: use Delete 3 times while highlighting the same channel in the Program Guide. Or, use Options -> Channel Manager. You'll jump to the Channel Manager, with the guide's current channel in focus. Select the channel to toggle it; or, if it is on more than 1 lineup, a dialog will open where you can toggle it on the appropriate lineups.

I think v7 updates all lineups now when one is updated, but I haven't checked that in a while.

A benefit of this trick is that people find out that the Channel Manager menu exists & can be used to edit which channels are enabled on multiple lineups and that you can remap a channel's number in the guide by jumping to this menu & remapping it... all without having to jump back & forth between your various tuners and their lineups.

- Andy
Good information Opus4! I was not aware of the Channel Manager. My only issue with this would be (and I haven't tried this yet, as I 'm at work on lunch) but as you stated, its a "trick" unless a user comnes here and see's your post or is activley looking/ searching for a solution they wil never see this and more than likely do it the hard way.

I also now have to configure a "delete" key on my remote just for this function. Not a big deal, but to the user who is evem less PC or software savy than I, this could be a challenge. I thought the goal was to sell this product to the masses, not just us techy people.
One of these days I'm going to have to find the time to learn Studio.....

Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start

Wow I just tried that and got 30 Lives!!

Sweet thanks!

Oh yeah the refresh EPG has been something that I thought would be nice for a long time. +1 for this request.