SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Lola Remotes on the cheap on again

http://www.x10.com/techliving1/index_lola.htm

Lola X10 remotes on the cheap again

free with 5.90 in shipping
Old 05-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nice, you totally beat the slickdeals community to this. I'm really happy with my remote, works great. I'm running it with the free version of girder without any problems using the x10 and sendmessage plugin.
Hauppage 350 Bundle = $220
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 05-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just placed an order for one. For less than $6, hey, you can't go wrong *lol*
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 05-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Am I seeing it right, that's an RF transceiver, not IR?

If it were IR - I'd buy it just for that.
"-)
Old 05-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

While its IR and RF, my disappointment with the remote is that you can't control the mouse and the numeric pad does not control my TVs channels.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

The remote is a bit proprietary and isn't a true universal. What I was about to do is program the code for my tv and gain control over power, chn+/-, vol+/-. Then what I did was "learn" the A/B button to the video1 input on my TV remote so I can quickly switch my tv in to video mode for Sage if not already in that mode. The other button you can "learn" for the tv is the mute button....other than that the numeric pad buttons and others are strictly for use by PC mode on the remote.

About IR and RF.....the remote does bout IR and RF and the USB Tranceiver does only RF...they don't explicitely say that on the site but:

Does the Lola Remote use IR (Infra Red) or RF (Radio Frequency)?
Actually, the Lola Remote uses both IR and RF. It sends signals to your computer to control the Lola software using RF so that it can be used in any room of your house, up to 100 feet away. The RF signal is also used to control other X10 devices in your home like lights or appliances.

For all of your other home entertainment equipment (TV, Stereo, Cable, etc.), the Lola Remote uses IR. The Lola remote will even learn IR commands from any new equipment you purchase.
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Deal looks to be gone now. Fortunately I managed to pick oine up. Looks like it will work out really well with SageTV. 've gotten Girder to recognise it, no problem. Now it's just a matter of mapping all the keys through Girder and I'm off to the races!

Thanks for tip on the deal!

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 05-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

They took my order for it this time... and it showed up on my doorstep from FedEx at 2:30 AM. (OK, so that was just the time when I noticed that the tracking page said it was delivered at 1:30 PM... don't know where I was at that time. ??) I would like to use this on my client -- does it really need Girder to have it work with SageTV, or can it work with the SageTV plugin for the Remote Wonder, since I believe you are all saying it is similar to that remote?

Now to go read more of the Lola posts...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

man I used girder it was nice
the thing can even control a Regular old TV, Cable/ DSS box, well you see the buttons
girder is easy though I can upload you mine
It will work perfect for you
it has everything configured but the TV, cable/DDS, audio and X10

nicely too

you need 3.29 free version
it is posted here more than once

and the gml

configure a couple things in girder and ready to go

without stranger89's gml though what a B!#(#

http://translate.google.com/translat...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

thats where I found it

I would use it before the plug in anyways, even if it does work
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv lola.zip (2.5 KB, 615 views)
Old 05-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I'm halfway through that other Lola thread & found your link to the free version of Girder in this post.

I'm so used to using the Hauppauge remote & _really_ know how to make use of it... now I have to learn how to get this thing to work with Girder after all!

I'm still reading the other thread, so I guess I'll come back & ask more questions if I'm still lost later.

- Andy

Edit/Update: I found some instructions from Alex0230 in this post.

Last edited by Opus4; 05-13-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I took the one step at a time approach with girder....first I just wanted to map the buttons. So I had a gml that did that....then I wanted to learn how to do the whole send message thing, so I took stangers file and tweaked it....there's still so much to learn about girder...but for now I got something that works!! : )
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 05-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Between your instructions, kny3twalker's GML, and a few other posts, I've got the basics working already, surprising myself quite nicely... so: Thanks to everyone who worked on this before me!!

Since I'm using this for SageTVClient, the next thing I need to do is find that post I saw a while back regarding changing the targets for all the commands' SendMessages all at once.

Edit: Well, that was easy too. Essentially I just had to check the SendMessage target for one command & note how it was set, then right click on "SageTV" & select "Set Group Targets", making sure the target was set up exactly as previously noted except for changing SageApp to SageClientApp. <whew> I guess now I just have to change the layout of the buttons to suit myslef.

kny3twalker: BTW... what did you have to do? Teach all the Lola buttons to every one of those commands from stanger89's GML? I'm glad that's in there already!

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 05-13-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:47 PM
SageTVaholic

it is easy just install lola not need for ati program at all
then install girder

run girder
have it autostart with the gml that you use
the the plugin section choose x10 and send message
choose open select gml
click on the function you want

like ff#2
then check enable all
then hit learn command
and press it on your remote

so easy
advance stuff I have not tried yet
only a few days in front of you

do you use theatertek?
if so and write or find a gml let me know
Old 05-13-2004, 10:52 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah I choose what every button does
make the rmote configuration to suit me

you can delete any of the commands (well not the cammands just the lower tree and remap the buttons any way you want) I just thought it would help get you started

and my buttons are probably not mapped as you want them

but I did think about this for a while
Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
you can delete any of the commands (well not the cammands just the lower tree and remap the buttons any way you want) I just thought it would help get you started
As I noted in the edit of my previous post, all that is left for now is to remap any buttons I might want to change -- thanks again for the help getting started!

I still have absolutely no idea how to use any of the advanced features of Girder, but at least this gets me going for the time being with a rmote for my client. Not bad for $6!

I guess the other thing to figure out is along the lines of what you are dealing with -- using the buttons for other programs too. I still have to read the Lola manual, but when I press TV, for example, only a few buttons change, while most still emit in PC mode, thus still affecting SageTV.

Oh well... all that other stuff can wait for some other time...

- Andy
Old 05-13-2004, 11:37 PM
SageTVaholic

you may need to setup the TV codes or cable box codes like regular remote
to change that stuff

it is probably nice and limited when it comes to stand alone hardware but can do enough of the basics to get you by

I think the TV, cable box and audio are mapped for stand alone hardware only using the codes

I wish I could get those buttons so stop that I want to us them ( well for now) with Sage

and it is a cheap remote, I would buy something more grand if I needed it
Old 05-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
I would buy something more grand if I needed it
Definetely... I'm using an MX-700 for my main system to control everything in the living room & it is great, but I sure wasn't going to get another one of those just to control SageTV in my office!

- Andy
Old 05-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

(Andy - my wife's annoyed because I got YET ANOTHER new remote - but that's OK, I like the Lola's responsiveness better than the JP1 plus IRREMOTE. Maybe I need to get an IR receiver to work with Girder now ;-)

To the group - I'd like to remap or double-use the lola buttons with something like WinDVD - I found and imported a WinDVD GML file, and assigned some keys to commands, but none of them affect WinDVD.

Any hints?

R