SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Widescreen DVDs don't play widescreen...

I have to select 16x9 format in order to see the DVD properly, otherwise it puts a 16x9 into a 4x3. I tried changing it to 'source' but that didn't help

Source works fine on regular TV, not with DVDs.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:03 AM

That is probably a decoder problem. I get DVD's to work fine in source with Sonic. However, I have heard this before and the solution was to try a different decoder. Also try switching between VMR9 and Overlay to see if that helps - the decoders don't always work well with one.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

I tried both decoders... both do this.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:29 AM

You mean both renderers? Decoders are items like Sonic Cinemaster, PowerDVD, Intervideo, NVDVD. And make sure you change them in the DVD menu.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Where can I download NVDVD from? I went to nVidia's site and only found updates, not full versions.

The only decoders I have listed are the Hauppauge Non-CSS and then Intervideo, and default. I have tried every combination and I'm having no luck... and not to mention, my DVD is playing all spotty on the screen I get vertical lines dancing thru it all over the place.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:45 AM

nVidia no longer offers a trial for their decoder. PowerDVD may be a good one to try though it sounds like you may be having more issues here.

Try enabeling and disablening Hardware Acceleration on the decoder. Also, make sure all DXVA selections in the DVD section of Sage are set to default.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have hardware accelleration already enabled... and what do you mean by the DXVA selections? Just explain this to me as if I'm an idiot
Old 05-11-2004, 07:15 AM

Hardware acceleration and DXVA are the same thing. I would try it with it off in the decoder (Intervideo) and make sure all choices with the label DXVA in the DVD section of Sage are set to default.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

How do I turn it off in the decoder?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:39 AM

I think for the Intervideo decoder there is a setting in the applications WinDVD configration dialogs. I have not used it for awhile though so I am not sure. So far the best decoders for settings sticking with the decoders that I have used are NVDVD and Sonic - but that does not help you right now.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't have WinDVD though... Is there a list of decoders out there I can download... like Sonic's?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:04 AM

Intervideo (not Hauppauge Intervideo) come from WinDVD. If they are not the full blown WinDVD ones then you may be having issues because of that.

I have heard that the sonic trial decoders do not work with Sage so I would try Cyberlink PowerDVD first. There is a trial you can get.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I own PowerDVD... I have a copy that came with my DVD-R, but the decoder doesn't show up in Sage's list.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

You might want to try updating your video card drivers. I've seen this to varying degrees with the same decoders depending on video card drivers/which install I'm using.

For example, right now I can't get AR to work correctly at all with either Sonic or nVDVD, although it worked fine with both before I re-installed my system. For now I'm using VMR9 as it seems to work correctly.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hrmm.. okay I'll do that when I get home
Old 05-11-2004, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

also any version that comes with a piece of hardware is not going to be the same as if you bought it

they leave out features on OEM software like 5.1 sound

but powerDVD can be upgraded for not much to the full version

I love its audio decoder, the most features and the best quality but the video cannot do VMR 9

for picture look at NVDVD (newegg for $7), elecard if youlike to tweak or cineplayer (you just need the media center decoder version if you use get another decoder like powerDVD for sound
Old 05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

My sound works great, I just have it using AC3 filter passing thru to my reciever and it's doing all the DTS and Dolby stuff... it's the video that's messed up, so I'll install WinDVD (I think I have a copy with an older DVD drive) and hopefully that will remedy my problems.