SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD300 Wireless Issues

I just got my HD300 and I am having some issues connecting it wirelessly to my network using the recommended adaptor that I bought together as a bundle. I looked around for threads detailing how to resolve issues or a tutorial in case I was missing something, but I couldn't really find anything.

I am able to connect the HD300 using a Wired connection and have updated the firmware. When I try to connect wirelessly, I am able to see the SSID's of several networks within my range, which means that the adaptor is working, but I cannot connect. I have also connected the adaptor to my computer and it was recognized and seems to be working fine. I am using an AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B router broadcasting in wireless G with WEP-Open encryption. I've tried entering my WEP key and I get a message saying that the Access Point has timed out. I've also tried the "Reset Network Connection" button and I get the same message. I have also tried playing around with DHCP and Static settings in the HD300, but it all gives me the same timeout message. I am able to connect my iPhone, Wii, Xbox 360 and other computers wirelessly with no issue to this same router. The only "interesting" setting that I see when I connect via Wired is that the Gateway is set to "home" when choosing DHCP which is an impossible value under Static. The DNS (255.255.255.0), Subnet Mask and IP Address (192.168.1.XXX) all look normal. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Sage User

I had the same problem and found that because you can only enter capital letters into the network password field on the HD300 I had to change my WPA password on the router to be capital letters. I dont know that you could even do that for WEP...but I don't use WEP. There was a post somewhere else on this that helped me figure this out...can't recall where though. My is now working flawlessly.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

One of the buttons on the remote will change the display to show lowercase characters. I think it's the - key but I am not certain. Just do a search on the forums for lowercase remote button and I'm sure it'll turn up.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the responses. I am actually using a pass-phase using numbers only to avoid any kind of issues. I will disable wireless security alltogether and see what happens...
Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

SOLUTION - Wireless via WPA

I never was able to have the HD300 connect using WEP - I tried a combination of upper and lower case pass phrases as well as all numeric. I changed my wireless encryption to WPA and could connect using a pass phrase with characters - numbers didn't seem to work. I'm not sure if this is a limitation with the HD300, but nonetheless, the issue is resolved... now I must go and change the pass phrase for all the other electronics in the house that were connected to my wireless network.

It is the ABC/123 key to the right of the "0" key on the remote that can toggle bettween Upper, Lower and number characters when entering text.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Sage User

I'm received my HD300 today in the mail and I'm having the same issue with the adapter. It sees my wireless network but, wont stay connected for more than 10 seconds. I know I have the password right because it connects and I can confirm it on my router. However when it does connect it wont get an IP from DHCP and it can't seem to connect to Sage if I use a static IP. Its very frustrating especially since I have 3 other devices that connect without issue. I did some research on the internet and there are lots of people having similar issues. Is there another adapter that works? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Sage User

I was able to get my connected using wpa2 and aes. Like Retrobox I had to make the password all characters, NO numbers or anything else.

Im glad I didn't have to go to a lower security setting. However I have to say the connection is really slow.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

I too am having these issues. So it is very real. I'm also quite disappointed the hd300 won't support ad hoc networks. My guess is that the underlying Linux OS is missing it. Can someone from sage comment on this?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Sage User

I connected the adapter to my laptop last night to see if I could get better reception. It wasn't so good. To start with I checked the signal with my internal wireless and had 3 out of 4 bars. When I connected the encore adapter it dropped to 1 out of 4 bars and was too slow to go to Google. I moved around my house and the best reception was when I was in the same room as my AP. I'm using a D-link DIR-655 router.

It would be nice if we had other options instead of the encore. At this point I cant use my HD300.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the HD300, Encore (purchased from NewEgg) and DIR-655 combination working quite well. However, I was having problems with my HD100 when the Hd300 was turned on at the same time. Turning the HD300 off would resolve the problem. Initially, I thought this to be a bandwidth issue -- in addition to the Encore/HD300, I have two wireless bridges (with a total of 6 devices) connected to the DIR-655 plus 3 devices connected locally (11 devices in total on my LAN). The problem turned out to be too little memory allocated to the Java heap. Apparently, when I set up the new OS (Win7) or upgraded to SageTV 7, I forgot to reset the heap to a higher value (currently at 1 GB).

Several other differnces may apply:
Since my two bridge devices are 802.11 g, the Encore cannot operate as an "n" device. The HD300 is located approximately 50 feet from the DIR-655 with several walls in-between, including one (the nearest wall) that is tiled and at a steep anlge. Lastly, I used a USB keyboard to enter my wpa encryption key (both letters and numbers) without issue.

You might try "g" for a stronger signal and/or increase the heap size.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage User

I was finally able to get it connected last night. I moved the AP to an adjacent room so it's only 15 feet away.

For now its the best solution I have until I have to add another HD300 upstairs.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Sage User

While I was able to get the wireless to work, it would still cause the videos to pause for a second. I think that's just typical wireless connection problems.
So I moved over to a Netgear Powerline connection. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product. It setup in less than 5 minutes, no configuration needed and works great. I would recommend it if you are having wireless issues.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Sage Expert

I too used the netgear powerline stuff (i'm acutally wanting the newer higher mbit ones to come out), very successfully. Blu-ray, was the only thing that seemed to stall it, but I was also going through a wall where the fuse-box was.

Also a couple of times the gf plugged in a space heater, vaccum or hair dryer and made things go pretty crazy, but it was still much more stable than wireless for me. . .
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Good luck getting it to work. I had absolutely no luck with the wireless and ended up going wired. The interesting part was that the wireless adapter worked fine with my Win7 desktop which was much further away from the router than my HD300. You can read my about all of my 'exploits' here in this thread. I can't believe that there haven't been more complaints nor some kind of fix issues. Oh well, wired is working great for me.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I had just the opposite experience with powerline networking. Throughput was so bad that 802.11g was actually faster. The only time wireless became a problem was when someone else was browsing the internet using wireless.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I had just the opposite experience with powerline networking. Throughput was so bad that 802.11g was actually faster. The only time wireless became a problem was when someone else was browsing the internet using wireless.
This is why I too have stayed away from powerline, but I have to admit that my ideas about it date back about 5 years ago when I first tried them. I should revisit it and try it out - I am sure it has gotten a lot better and easier to configure. After all, I am sure it beats my 75-foot ethernet cable I use and then hide to connet my HD300 right now (it is in the exercise room and I only use it when I'm on the treadmill on really cold days).

Thanks for your comments. Any suggestions on what to get for PowerLine? Is Belkin still the only game in town?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I would stay away from powerline. If there was no reasonable way to run Ethernet in the walls go with ethernet over coax. It uses the catv cables in your house. Much more reliable than powerline and has better throughput. As for myself. I took the time to run ethernet in my house.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I would stay away from powerline. If there was no reasonable way to run Ethernet in the walls go with ethernet over coax. It uses the catv cables in your house. Much more reliable than powerline and has better throughput. As for myself. I took the time to run ethernet in my house.
I have never heard of ethernet over coax - that would be awesome! I will do some research on it... any suggestions on equipment or success stories?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Sage Expert

keep in mind that if you have satellite though you can't run ethernet over them. . .but yes if you just have cable they are the best. . .

the newer powerline things can definitely be hit or miss but it was fine for me. . .either way I'd say make sure to buy them at an actual store (not online), so that you can easily test them out and return them if it doesn't work for you. ..
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually you can. You just need satellite compatible devices.