SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Feedback on BMT - Batch Metadata Tools

I'm setting up this thread as a means to provide feedback to Sean as I'm working on my documentation/blog articles about BMT. As I notice anything I want to mention as a suggestion or anything I'll put those comments here. I figure this way others can see those comments and add their own where appropriate.

I love BMT and that's why I'm working on a couple of write-ups about it to help give it more exposure (I don't think many realize what it can do) and to help people get started with it. I am by no means an expert on it - just a guy trying to help
To do my writeup I completely reinstalled SageTV7 and one-by-one followed the steps to install BMT.

1. The first thing that might cause confusion (I'm easily confused) is the naming of this thing. I see Batch Metadata Tools, BMT, Metadata Tools for SageTV etc. It would be helpful to choose a single name for the whole thing and stick with it. In the plugin manager it's called "Metadata Tools for SageTV - Web Interface".
2. On the plugin manager there's a slight misspelling. "Enables you to do edit metadata manualy (should be manually) or doing a looking from the browser." By the way, is that really right anymore? Installing this from the plugin manager gives you a lot more than just the web interface doesn't it?
3. From the plugin manager when you select "view web site" it takes you to this link which is for BMT 3. I personally would send them to a forum thread devoted to BMT 4 as one link AND either this Wiki for BMT 4 or some other landing page devoted to BMT4
4. This is a minor one: On the BMT web status page, I can't scroll up/down to see all of the SageTV info when using Safari. (okay I'm going to duck under a table now while Sean yells "Safari! why would you use that!." I actually view BMT's web settings page from my iPad so I thought I'd mention it.

I'll continue to update this post as I work on the articles. All of the above are simply my observations and suggestions - do not feel obligated to follow any of it if you don't want to.

Last edited by Brent; 11-14-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Brent, this is very helpful. I'll check this thread from time to time and move the comments into enhancements (and issues) on the bmt issue tracker.

BTW, while I don't use Safari, yet, I'm sure it's bound to happen... My wife is asking for an ipad now... I swear, it's like an apple virus in my house I'm currently trying to hold her off until the Samsung Galaxy Tab is released with Wifi only

EDIT:
Also open to suggestions on the name. BMT originated from when I first wrote this tool to be a command line (ie batch) processor that was meant to be run outside of sage... it's grown much beyond that now
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
... it's grown much beyond that now
There, fixed that for ya.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I swear, it's like an apple virus in my house

Dare I say it.....IStuckless
Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Most important would be a sticky with the naming formats BMT will parse so that people could convert their files BEFORE installation.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

What I would love to see is a template sample of the .properties file as it should be if completely and correctly configured. This would include a nice standard ordering of fields (and any of the extras that could be supported)and possibly a comment of what each entry defines (and possibly where/how) it can be used in the GUI.

Grant
Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Out of curiosity, is the scrolling issue the same one discussed here?
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Also open to suggestions on the name. BMT originated from when I first wrote this tool to be a command line (ie batch) processor that was meant to be run outside of sage... it's grown much beyond that now
I got a few names:

The ease peasy fan art go-getter
Stuck less Metadata or should it be Metadata Stuckless (not Stuckmore)
BEYOND BMT (BBMT)
<trying to be funny with my dry humor>

What about:
MetaFan
FanMeta
Metasaur
FanMetasaur
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!