SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up Plugin Request: Next Episode Screen

I think there is an area not being capitalized that either would make a great plugin or get incorporated into a theme like Diamond or the new TVBrowser Broconne just put out, or in Phoenix.

One of the nifty features I really like about TVB is the play next episode feature. It works awesome. I think it would be great to extend functionality like that or similar to that in another screen too. The new screen I’m talking about would popup after a show has been watched. So instead of being pushed back to the recordings browser or whatever you’d be presented a screen something like this:

I just cobbled this screen together to represent some ideas and get some buy-in/feedback from others. Obviously, someone else would need to actually implement it as I haven’t a clue how to build something like this. I’m just throwing the idea out there and trying to give a good visual perspective of something similar I would like to see.

I think there is some promise for a feature like/similar to this. I also think that it would be great if the play next part would gather the episode specific screenshot from TVDB or something, rather than a generic photo/poster...

What do you guys think? Promising? Needs work? Hey, it would be cool if that screen had such-n-such...

Last edited by wrems; 11-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't see the purpose myself. Diamond will auto playlist all the shows from the next show so they auto play from the next show. I don't see a purpose for a screen in between episodes myself. Tve did it the same way diamond will.

To me if you are wanting to watch more than one show the autoplaylist is the preferable as it can be stopped anytime.

My 2 cents.

Plucky
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think anyone's ever really nailed the behavior for what to do when a recording/video stops so this is as good of an idea as any.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I don't think anyone's ever really nailed the behavior for what to do when a recording/video stops so this is as good of an idea as any.
To me going back to the screen you came from makes the most sense.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
To me going back to the screen you came from makes the most sense.
But if you're just gonna start the next episode when you get there then this would be a nice shortcut.

In fact, i'd say a nice addition to this would be to have the next episode popup on a timer so that after x-seconds it just starts playing the next episode. I could have used that last night, I threw on an episode of Scrubs while I was cleaning the kitchen and it took much longer than I anticipated so I had to run back to the TV 3 times to start playing the next one

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 11-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But if you're just gonna start the next episode when you get there then this would be a nice shortcut.
With the autoplaylist mentioned above in diamond it auto starts that is why I don't see the need for an extra screen when it can be automatic.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Plucky, there would be some option like on the bottom the screenshot to go back where you'd normally be dropped. Like EP said just a shortcut. Simple and clean. But, both options should remain, and maybe some additional ones.

Last edited by wrems; 11-16-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
In fact, i'd say a nice addition to this would be to have the next episode popup on a timer so that after x-seconds it just starts playing the next episode.
I like that idea too
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I don't see the point in either of these.... if I want to watch the next episode I'm more than capable of pressing a couple of buttons on the remote to start playback of the next episode.

Just my 10 cents worth
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
With the autoplaylist mentioned above in diamond it auto starts that is why I don't see the need for an extra screen when it can be automatic.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the autoplay list requires me to plan ahead, and i'm not a fan of that

Besides, in the cleaning situation I mentioned above setting up auto playlist would be like admitting "i'm going to be cleaning a long time, so I better have a lot of TV queued up" and that's just depressing. I'd much rather lie to myself and say "cleaning will go fast, just one episode will do" and then let Sage handle the reality

Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess to me I just don't get it to me it is an extra screen I have to back out of to get back to where I came from.

No the timer idea is doable say make an autoplaylist and have a timer between each episode where you can chose to stop the playlist that is doable.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

As long as the 'Play' button works in the recordings screen (if a group is selected) to play the next unwatched episode, i don't see the need to NOT go back to the recordings screen. Focus would be the same, simply press 'Play' again, and the next unwatched would fire up.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm also envisioning this as being useful for guests, specifically parents. If they're ever lucky enough to get one episode of a show playing, i'd like to make it as easy as possible to watch another without me having to be called into the room to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben
press a couple of buttons on the remote to start playback of the next episode.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

This is a good example of user design vs. engineer design. But I think the says it all:
Quote:
I'm also envisioning this as being useful for guests, specifically parents. If they're ever lucky enough to get one episode of a show playing, i'd like to make it as easy as possible to watch another without me having to be called into the room to...
Sometimes it may not make sense because we already understand the program and know what to expect. Just injecting the simple screen between the playing of episode makes it understandable to joe neverusedit. This goes back to the discussion of Sage having an option for a basic user theme or interface. Gets rid of everything being out there for anyone's use and reduces it to bare core processes. Sure a theme could do the same thing but how nice for it to be an option to check for new users or the default for a basic install. (With an advanced install and default being an option.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Maybe simply flipping the options would help too.

Put the “Back to Recordings Browser” as the first/top option. Focus starts there. Then put the Play Next block underneath.

This way if you have no desire to play the next episode a quick tap of the enter button will put you back where you’d expect. Otherwise, the person that wants to play the next episode in the series can drop down one and start playing it...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think there is some merit to this. Right now when a show ends there is a pop up that comes up asking if I want to delete the show, I think it is the multi-function stop plugin, but that would be a good place to have a button that says play next episode. Requires no planning ahead, and will play when you are ready.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
As long as the 'Play' button works in the recordings screen (if a group is selected) to play the next unwatched episode, i don't see the need to NOT go back to the recordings screen. Focus would be the same, simply press 'Play' again, and the next unwatched would fire up.
+1 that play from grouped automatically selecting the next episode is a must and diamond will do this as does tvb.

So maybe someone will take your idea wrems and run with it but I don't see diamond doing it, but that isn't to stop anyone else