SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Move recordings

I would like to move my recordings to my unraid server after they have been recorded locally. Can I move those recordings and still have them show up under recordings even though the files have moved?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM
SageTVaholic

You can do this with the Move recordings functionality of SJQ, and they still show up in recordings - you may have to move them to folder that are in your Video Library but I am not 100% sure.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think I got it but I am not sure. I can script it myself I guess but I added the other directory in my recordings directory and set a rule to use 0 gigs meaning it would never be used for actual recordings (I think). I just need some confirmation that this is correct.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
I think I got it but I am not sure. I can script it myself I guess but I added the other directory in my recordings directory and set a rule to use 0 gigs meaning it would never be used for actual recordings (I think). I just need some confirmation that this is correct.

Thanks!
I would not do that. I add my unRAID shares as "Media Center Import Directories". If you add them as recording directories you might get Sage trying to record to them or automatically deleting files if it wants to record to it but doesn't have the space. The majority of the files I have in Imported Directories are still listed as recordings.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

But I don't want my recordings to show up under Videos just under Recordings. Won't that change their location if I put it in my Import Directories?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I would highly recommend using SJQ - this is exactly the types of tasks that it was designed for.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I would highly recommend using SJQ - this is exactly the types of tasks that it was designed for.
If you plan on using SJQ for this and are new to SJQ then I'd highly recommend waiting for the SJQv4 public beta. We're done coding for the initial public release and once the docs are at a point we're happy with then I'll be making the first public beta builds available in the SageTV plugin repository. ETA is Dec 5.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But I don't want my recordings to show up under Videos just under Recordings. Won't that change their location if I put it in my Import Directories?
No. If Sage identifies a video as a recording then it only shows up in recordings, not in imported videos.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

But will Videos show the recordings? That is what I want to avoid as well.

I am all for SJQ even though I looked through some of it last night and it looks like a large learning curve just to move some file. I am sure I can find some examples somewhere that will do what I want to...

Thanks!

Neil
Old 11-27-2010, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But will Videos show the recordings? That is what I want to avoid as well.
No, recording don't show in imported videos. If Sage recognizes it as a recording it only shows up in recordings, no where else.

Quote:
I am all for SJQ even though I looked through some of it last night and it looks like a large learning curve just to move some file. I am sure I can find some examples somewhere that will do what I want to...

Thanks!

Neil
If all you ever do with it is move recordings then, yeah, the learning curve is probably too steep for the benefits (though there will be cut and paste examples provided to do this specific task in the final docs). But, once you learn and understand how to move your recordings with SJQ then the sky's the limit... conditional comskip execution, regularly scheduled Sage/system reboots, automatic video conversions with scheduled "do not run" windows, etc, etc. Not to mention things I haven't thought of that other users will contribute to the community.

Last edited by Slugger; 11-27-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Grammar police!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

To help you understand, there is little difference to sage whether a folder is specified as a recording folder, or an import folder. The only diffrerence is it will try to record to recordings folders. It won't record to import folders. As for the files themselves, if sage still recognizes them as recordings, even though they are in the import folder, it will treat them as such (displayed in recordings, not videos). It will recognize them either by the file ID in the filename, referenced to an entry in the wiz.bin, or by embedded metadata (SageTV v7+).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If all you ever do with it is move recordings then, yeah, the learning curve is probably too steep for the benefits (though there will be cut and paste examples provided to do this specific task in the final docs)
Slugger. In SJQ V4, will the move recordings be like in V3 in which they end up being marked Archived? Or will they just move and the flags remain unchanged?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Slugger. In SJQ V4, will the move recordings be like in V3 in which they end up being marked Archived? Or will they just move and the flags remain unchanged?
They will be marked as archived. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to change this behaviour because the only way I can do the move and have it remain recognized as a recording is to move the file, delete the old media file object from wiz.bin and then trigger a core media directory scan. Sage then finds the file in its new location and updates the wiz.bin with the recording details. Unfortunately I have no guaranteed way to know what the media id is for the moved recording so as to restore flags. I could make a pretty good guess, but it wouldn't be perfect (under various conditions it would fail) and it's a crazy amount of complicated, error prone code to even try to make it happen. Therefore, moved recordings become archived recordings when moved. Maybe once the move script is out there for others to look at someone will come up with ideas on how to "fix" it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
If all you ever do with it is move recordings then, yeah, the learning curve is probably too steep for the benefits (though there will be cut and paste examples provided to do this specific task in the final docs). But, once you learn and understand how to move your recordings with SJQ then the sky's the limit... conditional comskip execution, regularly scheduled Sage/system reboots, automatic video conversions with scheduled "do not run" windows, etc, etc. Not to mention things I haven't thought of that other users will contribute to the community.
Sorry if I'm being dense but where's that cut and paste example? This is exactly what I want to do. Move recorded shows from a local drive to a network share automatically. Thanks!

Win7 VM -4gb ram
Ubuntu 14.04 VM -4gb ram (attempting with OS v9)
3 extenders through the house
Plex integration
HDHR
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

You might consider using Dirmon2 and a simple script to move your files until you figure out how to use SJQ. Dirmon2 will monitor the SageTV computer's directories and move the files to your unRAID server.

There's other ways to do it too. You could use the free Microsoft powertoys software called Synctoy. You could use the free Syncback software. I've heard of some people using GoodSync, but I don't think that is free software.

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 01-17-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBass View Post
Sorry if I'm being dense but where's that cut and paste example? This is exactly what I want to do. Move recorded shows from a local drive to a network share automatically. Thanks!
Do you want to transcode to a different format as well? In a week or so I will post a thread that will transcode an MPEG file to AVI and save it in a folder with the name of the tv show and the filename will be changed to the name of the episode title.

I am not sure but you may be able to use this script without transcoding as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

This is the script I use:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...ia_file.groovy

And this is the script I schedule in cron to find the recordings I want to archive:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...archive.groovy

There's two ways to go about this:

1) If you have favourites that you want to always move when they're done recording then it's dead simple: Create a task that executes the first script above and attach it to the favs you want to archive.

2) If you want to be a little more selective about what gets archived and when then use the second script and schedule it in cron to run periodically. It'll scan all your recordings and schedule the archive task (script 1) to run on the recordings it finds. I use this method to move things like all recorded movies (except documentaries), recordings that hit a certain age, certain syndicated programs, etc. You'll obviously need to tweak the script to your needs.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Sage Icon

Slugger - when your first script runs and moves the files, are they then automatically marked as ARCHIVED? Or do they retain whatever flags they currently have (archive/not archive, watched/not watched, etc)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
This is the script I use:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...ia_file.groovy

And this is the script I schedule in cron to find the recordings I want to archive:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com/...archive.groovy
Ooh I didn't know those scripts were secreted away in the codebase. I need to checkout the project and poke around in there to see if there are any other nuggets hiding
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Slugger - when your first script runs and moves the files, are they then automatically marked as ARCHIVED? Or do they retain whatever flags they currently have (archive/not archive, watched/not watched, etc)
They are marked as archived. You have to move the file and tell Sage to rescan the directories and find its new location. Even if I knew the flags, I wouldn't be able to reset them because I don't know the new media file id Sage has assigned to the moved file. If you wanted to remove the archive flag/set the watched flag, etc. then you'd have to create a new task that finds the newly archived recordings and flips the flags as desired.