SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Let's assume for a moment that I have a SageTV server that uses both the original Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212, and a Colossus.

Am I understanding this right, that I can clear my SageTV system of all Hauppauge software and drivers, and then install this one downloaded file;

"Version 34057 | Date: Feb. 26, 2016"
from
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor..._colossus.html

... without any other drivers, and my system should be back to good? (assuming the drivers are embedded in the single software download?)

I ask because in the release notes for this version it claims that it "Fixed an issue recording at high constant bitrates on Colossus" which is what I'm currently doing - and having issues with bad recordings.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I get about 8 to 9 clean start/stop recordings before the stuttering and audio problems start (1080i and AC3 audio via HDMI). I know this is like beating a dead horse, but this is the only device that I can find for under $200 that can do 20 mbits/sec video, and 5.1 channel Dolby Digital audio from an HDMI source, and works with virtually all SageTV processes/Devices/Extenders (right up to the stuttering of course). If this stuttering was resolved, this would be the one single affordable device that can pull this off for those of us with the copy-once flags set.

I set up 10 recordings yesterday, 5 minutes each, back to back. I have the Colossus tuning delay set to 20 seconds just to be safe. This is what I observed;

1) Recording 9 started showing the problem with the stuttering.
2) Once the recordings were complete and there were no additional scheduled recordings, I started up the latest Hauppauge Capture program (SageTV service still running), and saw the same problem stuttering there, while Sage still had a [dormant] handle on the device.
3) I shut down the Hauppauge Capture program, stopped the SageTV service, started the Hauppauge Capture software, and it was perfectly clean playback.

I don't know what it is about the SageTV/Colossus combination that is causing this, but it sure would be nice to get a handle on it. This is on an Intel 2500k system, all overclocking disabled, all processor throttling and turbo functions disabled.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I get about 8 to 9 clean start/stop recordings before the stuttering and audio problems start (1080i and AC3 audio via HDMI). I know this is like beating a dead horse, but this is the only device that I can find for under $200 that can do 20 mbits/sec video, and 5.1 channel Dolby Digital audio from an HDMI source, and works with virtually all SageTV processes/Devices/Extenders (right up to the stuttering of course). If this stuttering was resolved, this would be the one single affordable device that can pull this off for those of us with the copy-once flags set.

I set up 10 recordings yesterday, 5 minutes each, back to back. I have the Colossus tuning delay set to 20 seconds just to be safe. This is what I observed;

1) Recording 9 started showing the problem with the stuttering.
2) Once the recordings were complete and there were no additional scheduled recordings, I started up the latest Hauppauge Capture program (SageTV service still running), and saw the same problem stuttering there, while Sage still had a [dormant] handle on the device.
3) I shut down the Hauppauge Capture program, stopped the SageTV service, started the Hauppauge Capture software, and it was perfectly clean playback.

I don't know what it is about the SageTV/Colossus combination that is causing this, but it sure would be nice to get a handle on it. This is on an Intel 2500k system, all overclocking disabled, all processor throttling and turbo functions disabled.

All of us been waiting and hoping that one day one of the developer will find what cause the issue and fix it once for all

We all experience the same thing, more back to back recording the sooner shuttering will appear. Also on mine if I use the HDMI, I get shuttering sooner like after 3 or 4 recordings. That why I am using component cables instead because shuttering doesn't happen after 12 or more recordings which the nightly reboot would already had occurred before it get to that many recording.

My sageTV average about 4 to 5 recording a day and 10 or so live channel surfing. Now that summer is here and my kids surf channel a lot so there will be days where I will have to go manually reboot the server

Another thing I notice that my second HD300 which I just got when they start selling g it again would shutter after only 3 or so channel surfing while other HD300 is playing back a live chan el.

Right now we can only hope a solution will be found and this issue solved one day. I purchased a HDPVR 60 in hope that is the fix we all been waiting for but it doesn't seem to be the case

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do either of you get synchronization problems with your Colossus? I don't get stuttering, but I get audio/video synchronization issues that requires periodic restart. This is most noticeable for long recordings (3+ hour sporting events).
Old 06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Do either of you get synchronization problems with your Colossus? I don't get stuttering, but I get audio/video synchronization issues that requires periodic restart. This is most noticeable for long recordings (3+ hour sporting events).
I am Deaf so I couldn't tell you if my audio/video is out of sync. I can only tell you that my video shutters and it would need a restart when shuttering happens but now I keep my recording to a minimum so the shuttering doesn't happen before the nightly reboots.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 06-06-2016, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Once in a while. But I've found it's more dependent on what channel I'm recording. I can't say recording length has ever been a factor, a factor that I considered anyways.

Is everyone running that latest driver/capture software that I mentioned a few posts up? Before installing that driver, using an older driver, I was only getting about 3-4 good recordings, but after, I could double that.

This device is frustrating, because it's so darn close to working well. What other device can give 20mbit video and 5.1 channel audio that doesn't have some other issue with Sage software/hardware <none>. Clearly it has something to do with whatever Sage is doing when it grabs control of the capture card and writes the file.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 06-06-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Is everyone running that latest driver/capture software that I mentioned a few posts up?

Clearly it has something to do with whatever Sage is doing when it grabs control of the capture card and writes the file.
I have not yet tried the latest driver, but I'll give it a go and report back. I don't think Sage is the cause of my problems. A few years ago my brother was replacing his DVR but he had some NBA finals games he wanted me to copy for him. I could verify the source was always in sync, yet when I recorded through Sage or through Hauppauge's software, I consistently ended up out of sync. The video would start in sync, but after 3 hours it was off by a good half second. I fixed the issue in editing software, but even today I notice the same behavior for very long recordings.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow, this thread started in December 2010. Five and a half years later, this product still doesn't work reliably? Is the problem with the SageTV software so it can't be fixed by Hauppauge? Is the situation any different with the new SageTV Open Source? Are there alternatives for HDMI video capture in SageTV now?
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.

Last edited by timg11; 06-10-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
Wow, this thread started in December 2010. Five and a half years later, this product still doesn't work reliably? Is the problem with the SageTV software so it can't be fixed by Hauppauge? Is the situation any different with the new SageTV Open Source? Are there alternatives for HDMI video capture in SageTV now?
That rigth but some part it is sagetv it self and I thing of it is the file writer to but there is alternatives software like NextPVR and WinTV.
The best alternatives to SageTV rigth now would be Emby + NextPVR as Recoding backend.
With out a Windows+Java dev I don't think it will ever get it fix in tell someone come along, just like we need wait for Linux gu to come long and fix HD-PVR linux source code driver mess which if I'm rigth I believe it base on HDPVRCapture drivers and terminal rec and stop recording application.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Sage User

compatible HDMI capture cards

I have been using the 3 Colossus-2 capture cards in my system for many years with very few problems. Lately I am having problems with one of the cards not being seen by the computer. I would like to replace it with something newer, I tried a Elgato HD60-pro card and Sage doesn't see it. Does anyone have an idea of any other HDMI capture cards that will work with Sage?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-11-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Man View Post
I have been using the 3 Colossus-2 capture cards in my system for many years with very few problems. Lately I am having problems with one of the cards not being seen by the computer. I would like to replace it with something newer, I tried a Elgato HD60-pro card and Sage doesn't see it. Does anyone have an idea of any other HDMI capture cards that will work with Sage?

Thanks,

Dan
You might consider moving to a network HDMI encoder solution - See this thread for more details. https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63177
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 04-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Agree - A few of us have been using the URay encoder sold on Amazon with good success. Networking is the way to go - no worries about drivers. etc