SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Harmony H688 remote users...

I jsut got a Harmony H688 remote.
I was happy to see that I was able to select Sage 2.0 during the setup of the remote.
Any user here that could offer the sage remote file (or girder)?

Is sage 1.4 and 3.0 in principle compatible as far as remotes support?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

My Girder GML is in my sig. SageTV has all of the 1.4 commands plus a few new ones, it shouldn't break anything from 1.4 AFAIK.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Sage User

I also just got an H688. Very cool remote; I had my XBox, TiVo, DVD/VCR, HT A/V receiver and TV set up in about 30 minutes. I'm not quite sure how to do Sage, though. I have a WinTV-PVR-250 and have been using that remote for Sage. Does that work with Girder? Would it be apporpriate to use your girder file? Or should I just see how the Hauppauge maps to Sage's commands, and then try set up a custom device in the H688 setup?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Depends on if you want to control other applications or not. If you just want to control Sage then just learn the Hauppauge remote buttons with the H688 and stick with the native Sage/Hauppauge interface.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Sage User

I guess I should clarify. What I really want to know is whether the Hauppauge IR receiver and its software can handle a larger set of commands than the Hauppauge remote control itself generates (I get the impression from the replies above that it does), or whether I would need some other software for this. If the Hauppauge receiver is good enough, I could get a remote control that has a richer set of commands (or possibly even use my Pocket PC), and use that to train the H688 and Sage to provide an experience that is as similar as possible to the TiVo experience on the H688 (this is for maximum WAF; I really would like to stop paying TiVo every month but this mostly hinges on the WAF).
Old 06-06-2004, 10:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Check the link in Opus4's signature. "Basics & how to extend it"
Old 06-06-2004, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

You could probably program your H688 as a Tivo remote and map the corresponding Sage Commands to match tivo buttons, I know that's been done already. Some people are actually using Tivo remotes to control SageTV.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
You could probably program your H688 as a Tivo remote and map the corresponding Sage Commands to match tivo buttons, I know that's been done already. Some people are actually using Tivo remotes to control SageTV.
Can't use my existing TiVo remote until I convince the wife to give up the TiVo or there'll be real havoc when we press the buttons! :-)
Old 06-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4

BUT... can the H688 learn both states of toggle protocols, like RC5? If so, perfect. If not, good luck! RC5 alternates its code every time you press the same button w/o pressing a different button in between & the Hauppauge IR software expects to see the code toggle or it won't work perfectly. When learning codes, does it have a mode where you teach the same button to it twice to handle such a toggle code?

- Andy
Well, I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to Ir protocols, so (until I read the stuff at the links mentioned above) much of what you are saying is over my head right now. I also just got the H688 yesterday so don't know what its capabilities are, but it appears to be extremely powerful. I'll spend some time on this during the week and report back on my results. Thanks for the pointers!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Sage User

I never did follow up on this...

It was easy to get the H688 working in place of the Hauppauge remote; didn't even have to learn the commands. I just added a new device with manufacturer "Sage TV", product "Version 2", and then the Harmony software got me to press three buttons on my Hauppauge remote and correctly identified the remote. That was all that was necessary. I really love this Harmony remote.

Unfortunately the Hauppauge IR receiver seems to generate spurious events which makes Sage TV go crazy (and is the cause of a number of other mysterious problems I have experienced with Sage before), so right now the remote is worse than useless.