SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Sage User

Playing MP3's Cause HD200/HD300 to lockup

I have encoded all of my CD's using LAME with a variable bitrate (the extreme setting for best quality). After playing these MP3's on my HD200 or HD300, they eventually freeze/power off. When I try to power them on again, the green light on the front will briefly light and then go out. The only way to get the unit to respond again is to unplug it and then plug it back in. The freeze/power off never happens in the same place or on the same MP3, i.e. a given MP3 will play fine several times and then suddenly freeze/power off, where it previously played fine before. The MP3's are playing off my NAS, but the same NAS holds all of my videos, up to 1080p, and my HD200 and HD300 play everything else great from the NAS, so I don't think it has anything to do with the NAS or my network.

Has anyone seen this behavior with their HD200 or HD300's? Is this a known issue? How do I capture a debug log to help troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for your response/help.
-Stach
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

I have seen this occur but only when I have had the music playing for a long time. On my old HD100 extender, it used to occur exactly after 20 minutes, but a firmware update seemed to fix it (this was years ago, circa Sage 6.3)... then I saw it on the HD300 during the Sage7 beta phase, but I also saw locking up for another reason around that same time (turns out that was a bug in the EPG update), so that might have been that causing the problem. Since then, I can only recall one time where it happened, and the music had been playing for a while.

Unfortunately, the occasions where I play music long enough to try to repeat the behavior do not happen often enough for me to track it down, so I have never submitted it as a bug. Also, typically when I have the music playing for a long time - such as having a party - I'm not engaged enough in the music to notice exactly when it stopped playing (whether it was mid-song, whether it occurred after an exact period of time, etc.).

Was yours after a short period, or had the music been playing a while?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Sage User

PJPJPJPJPJ, thanks for the reply. I too use my SageTV setup for mainly video purposes, but with a new baby in our bedroom, I have been using the SageTV to play lullaby MP3's for long periods of time. Because I'm trying to fall asleep at the same time I've never paid too close attention to when it powers itself off. I can definitely say that it's not after a certain amount of time or on a specific song. Some nights it plays just fine for hours, other times it will shutoff after 15 minutes or so...and on a different song.

Can anybody point me to a document that details how to turn on debugging and submit a bug report?

Thanks again in advance!
-Stach

Last edited by Stach; 01-04-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

I just noticed this today too. PLaying Christmas MP3s on the HD300 - auto powered off after a few hours. I haven't noticed it before on either the 100/200, or previously on this 300.

Didn't check the logs, but maybe I will to see if I can spot anything.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I just noticed this today too...auto powered off after a few hours.
Matt91, when it automagically stops/powers off, I have to pull the power plug and then plug it back in to get it working again (i.e. powering on via remote doesn't work). Do you have to unplug as well?

Thanks for your reply.
Stach
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Sage User

Since updating from v6 to v7 I've had this happen twice now to my HD200 while playing music (mostly mp3s, a few wmvs). TV screen goes black, and nothing but a hard power cycle restores it.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I just noticed this today too. PLaying Christmas MP3s on the HD300 - auto powered off after a few hours. I haven't noticed it before on either the 100/200, or previously on this 300.

Didn't check the logs, but maybe I will to see if I can spot anything.
Add me to the list of HD200 lock ups while playing songs.

This is the first time I have been playing lots of Christmas songs on our HD200 and YES, mine locks up too after playing several songs.

BUG!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I've had several lock-ups due to playing Christmas music on my HD200...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Sage User

Fyi, I've submitted a bug report with debug logs for this. Will keep you posted if progress is made.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Sage User

Great, thanks Miloj!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage User

Me Too

I would like to add my voice to this problem as well.

I use my HD200 exclusively as a Media Player - I don't have SageTV installed anywhere on my network.

I started to see this power off/lock up behavior very shortly after updating to the latest release firmware for the HD200. It happens to me almost every time that I leave my system on playing MP3s from my Freenas server for over a couple of hours. I have never had it happen when watching videos.

Hopefully our support friends can get this fixed.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloj View Post
Fyi, I've submitted a bug report with debug logs for this. Will keep you posted if progress is made.
Just an update that Sage is actively working on trying to reproduce and pinpoint the issue in-house, as they believe it's a firmware problem affecting both HD200 and HD300. I also have an HD100 and haven't seen it there yet.

It also doesn't seem to matter whether music is streamed from the Sage server or another source in standalone mode, as both usages seem to be experiencing the problem.

Last edited by miloj; 01-13-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloj View Post
Sage is actively working on trying to reproduce and pinpoint the issue in-house....
Great to hear that Sage is actively working on the problem as playing MP3's is the only time that I have to physically pull the power cord to restart, every other part of the SageTV experience just works!

Would more dumps from us help with diagnosing the problem, or is that pointless now that they are trying to reproduce it?

-Stach
Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stach View Post
Would more dumps from us help with diagnosing the problem, or is that pointless now that they are trying to reproduce it?
If you find an easy way to reproduce the problem let us know since we haven't been able to so far.

_Demo_
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Let me know if you still have this issue when using the latest beta 20110114-0.

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage User

_Demo_, I played some MP3's on my HD300 with the latest Beta, as you suggested, and it still locked up (after an hour or so) and the only way to get it working again, was to unplug it and then plug it back in.

Thanks again for trying to get this fixed!
-Stach
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stach View Post
_Demo_, I played some MP3's on my HD300 with the latest Beta, as you suggested, and it still locked up (after an hour or so) and the only way to get it working again, was to unplug it and then plug it back in.
Are you able to capture debug logs when it is locked up? If you are able to please send them.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Sage User

My HD300 seems to do this fairly regularly 1-2 times a week.

How do I turn on debug mode, where are the debug files stored, and what are they called?

Should I be able to FTP into the device after it goes into "power off" mode (red light displayed)? Do the debug files get wiped out if I power cycle the device?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiese01 View Post
How do I turn on debug mode, where are the debug files stored, and what are they called?

Should I be able to FTP into the device after it goes into "power off" mode (red light displayed)? Do the debug files get wiped out if I power cycle the device?
You can find instructions for debug logs in http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...671#post375671

You should be able to get the logs when the red light is displayed as long as it didn't hang completly. The logs get cleared when you remove power as they are only stored in ram.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
Are you able to capture debug logs when it is locked up? If you are able to please send them.
_Demo_ attached are the logs from my HD200 when it locked up in extender mode playing MP3's. Unfortunately there was no log file in the installation directory on the SageTV Server.

Let us know if you find anything or if you need additional info from me.
-Stach
Attached Files
File Type: txt messages.0.txt (200.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: txt messages.txt (5.4 KB, 164 views)