SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Running SageTV server on Windows or Mac?

Hi all..

I'm slowly moving towards using a new Sage setup for our house.. We're currently using DirecTV with two HR10-250 Tivo's. In my quest to find a cheaper alternative to dual tuner ATSC Tivo's (with no monthly fees), I ran across Sage.. I've got two HD300's on order (and a pair of HDHomeRun's) and bought a license (as part of the bundle package) for the Windows version of Sage.. perhaps hastily..

So, I've read at least one post on the Mac forum here that seems to allude to the fact that Sage may no longer support Mac's in the future -- seems more like a rumor but haven't verified yet. I've currently got a Mac Mini (2010 model) running OSX 10.6 server (aka SLS) which works as a mail, web, postgreSQL server and was wondering if I should even bother trying to run the older SageTV 6 on the Mac or just buy a dedicated machine and run Windows 7..

The current Tivo's consume (so I've been told) about 80 watts per box and we've got two boxes = 160 watts. I'd prefer to keep our power consumption down which seems to indicate the use of a PC system utilizing an Intel Atom D525 processor (1.8ghz, dual core, quad thread) which will probably have an external drive system (eSATA or equiv) so the power might be about the same.. With this system I can run SageTV 7 (or 6 I guess)

I just read a thread elsewhere here indicating that Sage7 was about 100 times better than 6.. Is that true if you're using the HD300's?

Anyone know which side of the fence is better? I realize this is pure judgement but I figured I'd ask anyway..

Comments?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
The current Tivo's consume (so I've been told) about 80 watts per box and we've got two boxes = 160 watts. I'd prefer to keep our power consumption down which seems to indicate the use of a PC system utilizing an Intel Atom D525 processor (1.8ghz, dual core, quad thread) which will probably have an external drive system (eSATA or equiv) so the power might be about the same.. With this system I can run SageTV 7 (or 6 I guess)
Comments?
If you're aim is to beat the Tivo's power consumption then you don't need to go all the way down to an Atom and could use a Celeron or Core2Duo or Corei3 PC. If you're not bothering with something CPU intensive like comskip or transcoding, what you'll find is that most if not all the time the processors will stay at their lowest powerstep at which point they use ~18W. The Max ratings of 65W Celeron/Core2Duo 73W i3 is when the processor is under full load.

Don't think the only way to get a low power PC is to use an atom. You can use a more capable cpu, so should you need the power it's already there.

I currently have an Intel SS4200 with 4 Seagate barracuda drives. I upgraded the CPU from a single core Celeron to a Core2Duo E4700 (65W) and maxed the memory to 2Gb. Power usage is ~50-60W running WHS and Sage 7 whether I'm watching or recording. The server has the standard 200W psu it came with still. The biggest, but fixed, impact on power usage is the H/Disks at something like 8W each.

I'm changing to a HP Microserver, faster than the atom but obviously slower than the Core2Duo. Main reason for changing is it's more expandable as it has PCIe x16 (25W power limit) & x1 slot, will take 8Gb memory, internal USB socket and smaller form factor. It is rated at 70W or 80W (can't remember which) maximum power usage. ie fully loaded - 8G, 4 H/Disks, 1 optical or tape drive, PCIe slots used, cpu maxed.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks! I keep forgetting that just because a powersupply is rated at 250 watts, it does not mean it always eats 250W.. I'll keep poking around.. Thx!