SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Building serial cable to control RCA DirectTV box

Hey guys,

I'm about to receive my RCA DirectTV boxes with the low speed data port and I need to build the cable to control the boxes from my serial ports.

Now, there are so many different instructions on here, on how to build the cable, and many of them are talking against each other, so I'd like to get on post going where we outline in detail how to build such a cable.

I bought a DB9F to RJ11 adapter which connect to the serial port, a telephone cable which connects to the adaper, and a telephone-receiver-cord which plug fits into the low speed data port.

Here is the picture of the materials:

What I don't know is, if I got all the right parts and how to put them together. What color of the adapter cables goes into what whole on the DB9F adapter, and can I just cut the two telephone cables and tape them back together, so one end fits into the adapter and one in the low speed port?

Also, both telephone cables are wired oposite each other, do i need to leave it that way?

I know about the DvControl website but it really doesn't make sense to me. If any of you understands it, it would be great if you could translate it in detail for all of the unknowing. :-)

Maybe the people who already sucessfully build a cable can describe in detail how we can use the parts from above to build our own cables.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ikarus79m; 05-16-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Sage Icon

I built an online order from snapstream here for the data cable for both of my RCADRD435RH receivers. They both work like champs.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I know that you can buy them, but let's put a guide together so we can build them ourselves. People have done that on here, so it is possible.

We just need detailed instructions.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi

This maynot help, but the pin out for a standard serial lead is 2 and 3 crossed and 5 straight thru

Dan
Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 AM

Wrong ikarus79m becuases you fail point out the RCA DirectTV boxes with the low speed data port are RJ10

DB9 to RJ10 better know as handset type cable.
DB9 to RJ11 then all you need is RJ11 to RJ10 cable.
Don't forget the adapters most be wired rigth.

RJ10 "handset plug" 4 position, 4 contact (narrow) same as RJ22.
RJ22 "handset plug" 4 position, 4 contact (narrow) same as RJ10.
RJ11 "std. telephone plug" 6 position, 4 contacts (outside two pos. no contacts) same size RJ12.
RJ12 "std. telephone plug" 6 position, 6 contacts (usually used for networks when 6 contacts needed, can use just inside 4 if needed to equal RJ11) same size RJ11.
RJ45 "Network Plug" 8 positions, 8 contacts (wide) not for telephones, but used on network connections.

And no RJ10 is not the same as RJ11 socket.

All really need is
1: Handset Cable RJ10 (4P4C) Coil or Flat
1: DB9 Female (Crimp Conn Female Tin Shell)
See this page for wiring http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/
All I did cut on end off Handset Cable and conn to DB9 Female