SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Sage Expert

ATSC Channels Not Available On All Tuners, Just Some Sage v7

OK, not sure if this is hardware or software, but never seen this before under Sage v6:

I have 3 tuners for the Rockford, IL market, which has ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox available.

2 of the tuners are tuners 1 & 2 of my Hauppauge 2250 card. Tuner 3 is a 950Q USB stick from Hauppauge. All tuners have been fed from the same antenna/amp/splitter combo for over a year now, without issue.

As of last night, arbitrarily, my 2250 card's tuners will not tune the local NBC affiliate's primary or secondary channel. The 950Q continues peg it and its secondary channel. My 2250 tuners and my 950Q continue to peg the meter on all other affiliates, so I am assuming the cables, amp, etc. are good, otherwise none of the 3 tuners would be tuning all the other channels at 95-100%.

I do not do remaps. All 3 tuners draw on the same lineup that was created a year ago. The all channel ID and channel tuning specs are identical when I look at them under the Video Sources.

I tried deleting the 2250's and re-adding them with the same lineup the 950Q uses. No good. All channel data for 13-1 under the 2250's is the same as the 950Q, so I assume they must be using the same lineup correctly.

My DISH via HD-PVR does not have any of these affiliates as live channels since that caused me problems in the past when I had Charter, and I would not burn my HD-PVR tuner on an OTA ATSC channel anyway, so it's not that.

Anyone seen these sorts of things? And why wouldn't Sage default to the 950Q or go to one of the 3 Madison, WI market tuners that were available to capture that show last night on the Madison NBC affiliate, which is listed as a viable channel choice under the favorite? Why endlessly try to use a tuner that did not work when FOUR other ones, one in the Rockford market and 3 in the Madison market, are available?

Honestly, I think Sage 7 is buggy. What is the point in having a multi-tuner system if the PVR software can't default away to an available tuner when the first one it tries fails?

To the best of my knowledge my tuners are not preferenced.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.

Last edited by Savage1701; 01-20-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Administrator

When you reconfigured your tuners to use the same lineup, did you go through the process of entering a zip code & choosing a provider, or did you choose "Use or Copy an Existing Channel Lineup for this Source"?

You either need to rescan on each digital tuner or else choose the option to use an existing lineup for it to automatically copy another digital tuner's scan results.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Sage Expert

Both Opus; neither worked.

First I tried the simple copy of the same lineup used on the same tuners for at least a year.

Then I tried a full rescan for the 2250's.

No difference. Neither 2250 tuner will tune Rockford 13 WREX-DT 1 or 2, but will faultlessly tune digital channels 17,23, and 39 out of the greater Rockford, IL area.

The USB 950Q tunes all greater Rockford, IL stations, including 13 WREX-DT 1 & 2, faultlessly.

All come off the same antenna/amp/splitter. The antenna has never been repositioned.

Channel description info is identical for 13 WREX-DT on all tuners when test tuning them. I have never rempapped any channel info.

I also had one other odd thing happen - I may have posted this - Fox 47 out of Madison had its channel ID change and I could not tune it either (with a different tuner (Hauppauge 1650)). I did a re-copy of the same lineup used by my 2 other Madison, WI tuners (a couple of K-World ones) and it worked again. No such luck in this case though.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1701 View Post
No difference. Neither 2250 tuner will tune Rockford 13 WREX-DT 1 or 2, but will faultlessly tune digital channels 17,23, and 39 out of the greater Rockford, IL area.

The USB 950Q tunes all greater Rockford, IL stations, including 13 WREX-DT 1 & 2, faultlessly.
This indicates that there is a difference in how the tuner hardware handles the signals you are having issues with.

Are you able to tune those stations using the WinTV software that comes with the 2250?

Was there a recent driver update where the problems occurred after that? Or, is there a driver update available that isn't yet installed?

What type of amp do you have? It could be amplifying too much, not enough, or just doing a poor job of amplifying (depending on the quality of the amp). Is the amp after any splits or before them all?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage Expert

Respectfully, I don't agree with you, for the following reasons:

1. I can tune with WinTV
2. No recent driver update. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
3. I don't know the amp type, but it's the same one driving both 2250's and the 950Q. It still works fine with the 950Q on all channels and the 2250's on all channels but this one. I don't think an amp or splitter failure could be that selective or notch-like to take out one channel. And even then, why would it work with WinTV?
4. Why did it work up until 2 days ago? A variant of this happened with a tuner in the Madison, WI market that I posted about - Sage changed the 5 digit channel ID on one of my 3 Madison, WI tuners. I just caught it by chance. I deleted it, added it back, and saw that it's lineup number info now matched the other tuners. That did not work here, and channel ID's for 13-1 match across all tuners, but the fact is Sage 7 did something arbitrary their, and I think it is doing something aribitrary here.