SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

VNC/RDP/NX/X client of SageTV HD300 or any network media player -How -When? LFLFJN

LFLLHN: The subject says it all: A VNC, RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), NX technology, or X Windows client of the SageTV HD Theater300 (HD300) or any network media player? -How? -When?

LFLLI9: All you'd have to do is add a PC keyboard (as via USB else wireless of some sort) plus of course the software to do it if not already installed, so I would hope it would be already done, especially given:

LFLLIJ: There are significant motivations to do it:
  1. LFLLIR: The hardware seems all there (everything but a PC keyboard & mouse, which can be had for under $25), so doing this seems just a matter of software. Most notably one already has a display (and today typically hi-res as HDMI) plus a network media player with enough power to be a thin client (since it has to process high-def video); indeed it actually is a thin client already --for media playing plus NetFlix, YouTube (high-def audio & video) some the most demanding use of a typical thin client. So I see no reason why it can't be a general graphical computer terminal. In fact I would cringe if buying all this good hardware for a location (as the fine home-theater quality LCD display plus surround sound system, then the high-speed Internet link, and now finally the network media player to drive it all) then typically arranging a room around them, yet because that last component (the network media player) just was short a tad more software, after that, still not be be able to use all this as a general thin client, not even a good web browser --I wouldn't want that to happen. As hinted then,
  2. LFLLJ3: Another key use for this is to give the user a powerful web browser (as Firefox with extensions) which is increasingly needed as Network Media Players are being expected to access YouTube & now Facebook & more, but for which they don't typically have the processing power & perhaps storage. But including a general thin client can provide that; moreover, since it's the same browser the person normally uses (on laptop or desktop), then there is no learning curve, everything is already synced, and there is almost no compromise in functionality (downloads can be done right there, all the plugins are present) with the one exception that video playback would probably not be as good (but for that, then, we've got the excellent media player, so the best of both worlds).
  3. LFLLJK: In many/most situations, this could cut the number of desktops needed to at least 1/2 or 1/3rd, maybe more.
  4. LFLLJV: It could serve as a backup "computer" when one of the other computers down (my situation now).
  5. LFLLK8: It could allow for convenient remote operation/administration of any number of computers (in the LAN, remote locations, including the cloud), now from the convenience of a living-room couch or armchair!
  6. LFLMG1: In SageTV's case (and in the case of any server-client media distribution network, that's now becoming increasingly common even in the home), there really is a server potentially any user may want to thin-client connect-to, the media server, say if it needs some fix which is beyond the normal GUI of the supplied media clients (as running slow, or files not accessible, or software needs install or update, etc).
  7. LFLLKK: It could open up the smart network media player (taking advantage of this opportunity) to the thin client market place, and very competitively, as typical thin clients sell for more, easily 2 to 4x more plus seemingly don't automatically offer the top resolutions & sound of a network media player; and the only costs to sieze & please this new market would be a small bit of extra very standard software (often in open source already) plus a little extra marketing & support.
  8. LFLLKW: In our case we've got a reasonably powerful server (currently running Windows 7 Home Premium) and we would want to use it for me as an extra user (since my usual computer is down & in repair). This use is what brings me to search for network media players (as yours) with enough power to be a thin client, as an inexpensive thin client plus throwing in media playback well beyond what the typical thin client does.

Your thoughts appreciated!

LFLLLC: BTW, We don't yet have any SageTV products, but they seem a fairly complete & professional solution (why I take the time to write you this now) --perhaps only missing this one feature ;-) But truthfully, this actually would be the feature to sell us now on the HD300! And among other leads, we're also looking at Hauppauge MediaMVP-HD since http://MVPMC.Org suggests it will offer this,
Quote:
It currently runs on the Hauppauge MediaMVP hardware. .... There is a VNC viewer built in.

“LG4OWH: ASIDE: What are these codes as “LG4OWH” on this paragraph? They're short IDs to date-stamp & uniquely-reference most anything: see http://2.LoveRules.Info/6mp

Last edited by Crusma; 02-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Tags
hd300 thin client, nx client, rdp client, vnc client, x client