SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
sorry to threadjack, is there similar iperf instructions for the HD100 as well?
You can try using http://download.sagetv.com/firmware/iperf8622 to download the program and follow the other instructions replacing iperf with iperf8622.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Well testing this way with iperf/jperf with the HD200 rooted out a problem I didn't know was there. My first tests proved there were problems with my graphs being all over the place. Fortunately, before doing too much more investigating I snaked another drop to my HD200, thank God I put the conduit in the wall! Ran the tests again with switch still in place and my results pegged ~94 solid. This is a great little test it helped me determine that the line is somehow messed up.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Sage Expert

Now pull that bad cable out and destroy it so you don't end up chasing this problem down again when you need another run and fine that loose cable It's like my friend who pulls a pen out of the jar on her desk that won't write then puts it back in the jar. If she'd just throw the thing away she wouldn't have to grab it again!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Sage User

Thank you all for your input! It is greatly appreciated!

I tried using a crossover ethernet cable directly between the SageTV Media Center and the HD300. It seemed to run smoothly, then as before it started randomly stuttering. I did not turn off Flow Control as it seemed to be working. I haven't had a chance to try disabling it yet. I will post my findings. I also haven't had a chance to play it back via USB or in the Media Center yet either. I will keep you posted with my findings.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
There is no other network driver included in the firmware. The best way to confirm the transfer speed is to run a iperf test between your server and HD300:

----

You will need to run the following commands on the HD300 through telnet
(login is root, no password) :

cd /tmp
wget http://download.sagetv.com/firmware/iperf8654
chmod +x iperf8654
./iperf8654 -l32k -s

Then on your server download jperf2 from http://xjperf.googlecode.com/files/jperf-2.0.2.zip

Extract it and run the .bat file (assumes you have java installed)

In the server ip enter the ip address of the HD300, click the
box next to buffer length then set the size to 32 and the unit to kbytes, click the box next to tcp no delay. After that you can run the test and it should be similar to what happens when playing files.

This will give you the bandwidth between your server and the HD300.

----

_Demo_
Great info. I'll need to give this a try to see if I can track down sporadic pauses/catch ups.

I do have a question though.

My setup is (all connected to switch):
SageTV Server (xp)
Storage Server (unraid)
HD200/HD300

So, since the files are on the Storage Server, I would put the jperf on the Storage Server?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Great info. I'll need to give this a try to see if I can track down sporadic pauses/catch ups.

I do have a question though.

My setup is (all connected to switch):
SageTV Server (xp)
Storage Server (unraid)
HD200/HD300

So, since the files are on the Storage Server, I would put the jperf on the Storage Server?
You should run the test from the server running SageTV. When playing back files on a storage server it will first go through the SageTV server then to the extender.

_Demo_
Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

I just tried the iperf instructions above and the "jperf.bat" file fails with an error. It says "windows cannot find 'javaw'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again."

I am on java 7r60. Has something changed in java?

How do I fix?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
It says "windows cannot find 'javaw'.
I had the same error. In jperf.bat, I had to change:
Code:
start javaw
to
Code:
start C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw
Works fine like that.