SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

the dreaded Shaw Direct blackout screen

When Shaw runs a hockey game that's regional, say on Sportsnet 260, a "not in your area, loser" screen comes up if you're not in that region.

Additionally, a yellow "cancel" requester pops up.

As we all know, you can't change channels at this point using numbers.

So, when SageTV tries to change the channel for a scheduled recording, which always takes from five to 20 seconds, that damn screen won't allow the channel change = ruined recording.

Has anyone come up with a script that could somehow trick Shaw Direct receivers to either hit the "cancel' button, or an alternative?

If Shaw would just wait ONE MINUTE before they blackout the picture, this wouldn't be a problem, but I guess we're not going to get them to do that, are we.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Sage User

Same problem here, I hate that thing.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I solved this problem rather easily:

I configured my USB-UIRT to send the "Enter" key with each channel change. I believe you configure it as the "prefix" command when configuring channel changing in Sage (it's called something like that). So every channel change sent to my DSR505 receivers by Sage is actually n + 1 IR commands, where n is the number of digits in the channel. For a change to channel 261, the UIRT sends:

"ENTER" + 2 + 6 + 1

That "Enter" key will clear the blackout screen by clicking cancel, if it's displayed, and if it's not it simply brings up the OSD before sending the digits. Either way works and allows the channel change whether or not the black screen is present. Since making this change, it hasn't failed me yet. Shouldn't need any external script to address this on Shaw Direct.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I solved this problem rather easily:

I configured my USB-UIRT to send the "Enter" key with each channel change. I believe you configure it as the "prefix" command when configuring channel changing in Sage (it's called something like that). So every channel change sent to my DSR505 receivers by Sage is actually n + 1 IR commands, where n is the number of digits in the channel. For a change to channel 261, the UIRT sends:

"ENTER" + 2 + 6 + 1

That "Enter" key will clear the blackout screen by clicking cancel, if it's displayed, and if it's not it simply brings up the OSD before sending the digits. Either way works and allows the channel change whether or not the black screen is present. Since making this change, it hasn't failed me yet. Shouldn't need any external script to address this on Shaw Direct.
That's very cool, thanks. Sadly, I don't have a USB-UIRT.
This may be the reason to get one. It would still be really great if Shaw delayed the graphic for 30 seconds. At least that way, viewers would SEE what they are missing.