SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I have had this problem before on some of my PCs and I was never able to resolve it. I am guessing it was an authentication error but I could never prove that.

In my instance clicking on the SageTV logo in the gadget would successfully open the web page so that would seem to indicate that I had the correct password.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I have had this problem before on some of my PCs and I was never able to resolve it. I am guessing it was an authentication error but I could never prove that.

In my instance clicking on the SageTV logo in the gadget would successfully open the web page so that would seem to indicate that I had the correct password.
I get the same results "In my instance clicking on the SageTV logo in the gadget would successfully open the web page"

I was told by cncb that because this works, the credentials and settings are correct. But he is not sure why the gadget is not working. He thought maybe that an update to the sagex-api may have "messed something up" ?...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettech_gt View Post
Anyone having issues with conecting using the newest version of the sagex-api?

I have installed version 2.1 on my Sage server (7.1) (Windows 7 Home Premium 64) I'm able to connect to the web interface via a browser but I'm not able to connect with the gadget. I have triple checked my username/password etc. Ideas? THANX!
I'm having the same issue here. I just installed it for the first time since I just upgraded to Window 7 64 bit and the gadget can't connect.

I suppose I will stay with sagetray.exe until this is resolved.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

THANX! I didn't know about sagetray.exe. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage Expert

I've been using it for a couple of years on Win7 without any issues... Could there be a firewall or router setting causing a problem?

Also, I think I use the loopback address 127.0.0.1 for the ip address. Have you tried that? (I guess this assumes you're running on the same machine the server is on... which may not be true.)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

It also may be related to something going on in your computer. On my computers (Win Vista -> Win 7 and Win 8 Consumer Preview), the gadget works fine >98% of the time but I've noticed that, for some reason, the gadget will not detect or connect to the Sage Server whenever certain programs, most notably the backup software I use, are running. During this time, the gadget displays "NA-Check network connection, server, and settings" and as soon as the conflicting program ends, the gadget reconnects and displays the recording information.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

I had been using this gadget (not the latest version I found out) and up until recently it had worked great.

Then suddenly about a week or so ago after updating some api's and plugins on SageTv v7 it would no longer connect. So I did a bit of searching and found out there was newer version of the gadget so I installed that. Still no connection.

Now I notice in the installation instructions it says to install the Windows Sidebar/Desktop Gadget Support plugin. Installing that fixed my issue.

Maybe it was because I hadn't been running the newest version of the gadget itself which doesn't reside on the SageTV machine, but on my other machines on the network, but I swear it had been working up until recently even without the desktop gadget plugin. <shrug>

Anyway, all is well for me now. No more dropped connections, or inability to connect to the SageTv Server.

The old adage "if ALL ELSE fails, read the instructions" applies I guess.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

awe... Windows 8 no longer supports Gadgets.. Going to miss this little guy.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Sage Icon

There are a couple of alternatives:

Win8 Non-Metro SageTV app: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59068
Rainmeter Gadget: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59065 (end of the thread for the download, requires Rainmeter desktop to be running, not sure if it's Win 8 compatible)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Sage Expert

The rainmeter skin works fine on Windows 8, but I haven't uploaded it yet because I don't have a place to host it. If someone wants to try it out, just send me a PM.

edit: Hmm... maybe I can use my dropbox account. I'll check into it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Sage Icon

They should come up with some kind of Windows 8 Metro app that is just a container for gadgets. That way we could dock it on one of the sides of our desktop (like you can with all metro apps) and then use it like the actual sidebar in Vista which I preferred over the "floating" gadgets in Win 7 anyways.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Sage User

Trying... not working

I installed several plug-ins for the first time, including the webserver, SagetcpServer, and the gadget support plug-in, on the SageTV installation located on my server.

I'm trying to work with the gadget first. All the settings are stock (except the tcp) and I cannot get it to connect.

SageTV is loaded on a Vista-Business machine called chaosserver02, at 192.168.32.105.

I've got the gadget loaded on a Windows V7 laptop, with the following values:

Server: chaosserver02 (also tried 192.168.32.105)
Port: 8080 (seems to match the http port assigned in the Jetty Web Server)
User name: sage (don't know why - but others have this set)
Password: frey

It never connects.

I have SageTV running on a client on another machine, and it sees the server just fine.

Suggestions?

-Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I have seen the same thing. For some reason the gadget works fine on some PCs but not on others. And it seems to be an authentication issue.

What happens when you click on the SageTV logo in the gadget? Does it open up the Sage web UI in a browser? I am guessing it will. I think that means that everything is correct except it just won't connect from the gadget app for some reason.

I am pretty sure that cncb, the developer of this app, left Sage as soon as the Google purchase was announced.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am pretty sure that cncb, the developer of this app, left Sage as soon as the Google purchase was announced.
That is, indeed, unfortunate. This Gadget is extremely useful. I would have liked to see more utilities by him/her.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Agreed - Craig did a great job on this.

The annoying thing about Gadgets is the Microsoft orphaned them about a year ago. They want everyone to move to the Metro UI tiles - but that is stupid as many corporates are just now adopting Win7 are unlikely to move to Win8 within the next 5 years. So gadgets are fading away and I found them very useful for SageTV, CPU usage/temp, etc.

Rainmeter is something that kind of replaces the Gadget bar. Check out the rainmeter thread in this forum and give it a try.

Here is a screenshot of Rainmeter from that thread:
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The annoying thing about Gadgets is the Microsoft orphaned them about a year ago.
Yeah, when I upgraded my Windows 7 machines to Windows 8, I was disappointed find that Gadgets were not supported in that OS. Then I found http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/. And, now, have them all back... as well as some nifty new ones.

(I have not tried the SageTV Gadget in this OS because I have Sage installed on a machine running Vista but suspect it would install and run as expected on Win 8.)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

after upgrade to w10creators, gadget 2.1 can no longer connect

after upgrade to w10 creators on the client side, gadget 2.1 can no longer connect. Using 8gadgetpack, latest version 22. Curiously, Gadget version 1.4 still works! SageTV server side remained unchanged so it is not an issue with plugins missing or not up-to-date.

Last edited by guho; 04-09-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
after upgrade to w10 creators on the client side, gadget 2.1 can no longer connect. Using 8gadgetpack, latest version 22. Curiously, Gadget version 1.4 still works! SageTV server side remained unchanged so it is not an issue with plugins missing or not up-to-date.
I just got the W10 Creator's Edition and it partially works. It just continuously says "Connecting" after waking up from the screensaver kicking in. (no hibernation on this machine)
However the flyout schedule is still there even though nothing appears on the main gadget window. Also odd, it does connect, display, and work fine on a reboot, just has the issue after waking from the screensaver.

As noted, it isn't anything on the SageTV side causing the issue because my other machine (this one) which does not have the Creator's Update yet works perfectly fine even after waking from the screensaver. (again no hibernation set on this machine either)

I did check and I'm pretty sure the Creator's Update changed the setting on the wireless card on the offending machine to let the system shut it off. I changed it back to make it leave it alone.

I'm going to test something. The only other significant difference between my two machines is the offending machine hooks to my lan/internet via WiFi while the working machine uses a wired connection. I doubt that is it since it was working just fine over WiFi before W10 Creator's Update, but it might narrow it down to whether it is something with wireless vs. wired.

Update, a while later: I verified that I had the latest version of 8GadgetPack installed as well as V2.1 of the SageTV gadget. As I stated before on a reboot the gadget works perfectly, displaying your upcoming recordings, free space, etc. I fired off the screensaver and then came back to the desktop and as before a blank screen where the scheduled recordings should be with the exception of the word "Connecting". This with a wired connection vs. WiFi, so it isn't about the WiFi.
Rebooted again and once again it came up fine. However this time I just hovered over the "Recording Schedule" and when it changed to "Click to Refresh" I clicked on it. Oh-Oh, blank screen with "Connecting" once again. also note when this happens in all instances the free space disappears as well.
So it isn't the screensaver, nor WiFi, but apparently something it does differently between initial connection/display and either the scheduled or manual update. So it appears it may be something that the Creator's Update has "broken" inside the gadget.

Last edited by waynedunham; 04-17-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

After upgrading my server to Sage V9 64 bit, this sidebar gadget no longer connects to the server (from another PC).

The SageTV Web Interface works fine and I set the user/pass to my old name (confirmed with Web that old user/pass is working). Not sure what's missing.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
After upgrading my server to Sage V9 64 bit, this sidebar gadget no longer connects to the server (from another PC).

The SageTV Web Interface works fine and I set the user/pass to my old name (confirmed with Web that old user/pass is working). Not sure what's missing.
Are we speaking of this Gadget? SageTV_2_1.Gadget.txt (change .txt to .gadget)

I had never tried it before but I installed it on another computer (non-SageTV Server) on my network. It worked exactly as it does on the SageTV Server machine. (All machines are Windows 10 64 bit and SageTV v9 is installed on the Server machine..)

Am I way off base?