SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
This continues to happen. It takes most of the day to start and Task Manager shows SageTVService.exe memory usage slowly but continuously growing. Once it starts getting close to what the JVMHeap is set to (768MB) live TV starts to get choppy and stutter. A net stop/ net start on Sage resolves the issue for another day.

Time to submit a bug report.

S
I also having similar problem and I submitted a bug report then they asked for logs.

So I restart SageTV with logs enabled and cancelled all my recording for tonight and added a bunch of manual recording for the next 5 hours or so. When it is getting ready to crash server which I can tell when things starts to handle sluggish I noticed that java heap and sagetvservice in task manager are climbing.

It finally crashed I sent them the log, log filesize is almost 10 megs so it seem to be a pretty big log for only 5+ hours of SageTV

Hopefully they will find something in the log to fix this memory leak problem

I am back on my PVR-500 for now.

One thing that I got to thinking is that my server only have 2 megs of ram total and maybe it not enough for the Colossus and need to install more rams

I probably need to go back read all those posts on Colossus and check to see if ones with no problems happened to mention how much ram they are using on their server in thier post or signature and compare it.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x

Last edited by TechBill; 03-19-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Sage Expert

Mine has not had an issue since I upgraded the driver and has been recording without issues through HDMI. I don't have 5.1 turned on in the reciever yet.... I can't use my HD-PVR since I installed the colossus, if I try to capture with it, it seems to lock up the PC...

I have my java heap set to 1200mb and mine usually runs close to that most of the time...

Thanks,
Jeff

EDIT: Also, I am running on Win7 64bit... with 4GB total memory
Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

RAM shouldnt matter since all the encoding is done by the card. Extra ram won't help that situation you are noticing here.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Sage Expert

The main issue I have seen with the RAM is if the jvm is maxing out, I have seen that cause shuddery recordings and playback.. With the plugins I have running, mine usually runs in the low 1.2gb of memory for sage and the system runs right about 2gb in use. I did have to move my comskip off to another server because it was overloading the cpu on my dual core...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This continues to happen. It takes most of the day to start and Task Manager shows SageTVService.exe memory usage slowly but continuously growing. Once it starts getting close to what the JVMHeap is set to (768MB) live TV starts to get choppy and stutter. A net stop/ net start on Sage resolves the issue for another day.

Time to submit a bug report.

S
as far as Java heap size, noticing the same thing here - as the day goes on, it approaches my max of 768. Restart clears it all out
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
RAM shouldnt matter since all the encoding is done by the card. Extra ram won't help that situation you are noticing here.
I agree with what you are saying but my own observation is that when the colosuss was messing up recordings and ultimately BSOD'd my server heap size was maxed out at just over a 1GB. The amount of ram sage consumes increases over time. Since implementing a daily stop/restart I have not had anymore issues with Colosuss.

I always used to think that it was cpu and only cpu over utilization that could bring my system to its knees....that was until I saw it happen with the cpu at 10% but my DRAM at 78%. My PC behaved like a slug. Sage+PlayOn+MyMovies sucks up a lot of DRAM!

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
I agree with what you are saying but my own observation is that when the colosuss was messing up recordings and ultimately BSOD'd my server heap size was maxed out at just over a 1GB. The amount of ram sage consumes increases over time. Since implementing a daily stop/restart I have not had anymore issues with Colosuss.

I always used to think that it was cpu and only cpu over utilization that could bring my system to its knees....that was until I saw it happen with the cpu at 10% but my DRAM at 78%. My PC behaved like a slug. Sage+PlayOn+MyMovies sucks up a lot of DRAM!
I was refering to RAM and the collussus. There is obvoisly a driver or sage issue causing a memory leak. Adding more ram won't correct this issue has nothing to do with playon or mymovies.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I was refering to RAM and the collussus. There is obvoisly a driver or sage issue causing a memory leak. Adding more ram won't correct this issue has nothing to do with playon or mymovies.
My response was not very clear. I absolutely agree that there is no relationship between RAM and the Colosuss being able to do its job. What I was trying to say was that my experience with Sage+Colosuss suggests there is a connection between messed up Colosuss recordings/system crashes and maxing out the java heap size. I have no idea what is causing the steady increase in java heap size but I have observed that behaviour with my setup since I started using Sage 1.5 yrs ago. I do not think Colosuss causes the java heap to increase but I do think the Colosuss is adversely affected when the heap is max'd out.

I did interject one other observation (this is not a complaint) not really related to Colosuss and that is simply that if one is running PlayOn, SageTV PC desktop, Extenders and is working with MyMovies a lot of DRAM can be quickly consumed. I have seen MyMovies use nearly 1GB of DRAM all by itself when it is refreshing the data on a HDD or HDDs....and that when a large portion of a systems DRAM is utilized your PC will become just as sluggish as if your CPU were being 100% utilized.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage Expert

Strange, just found the shuttering/slowmotion recording again... Sage was only at 800MB and CPU was only about 10%, but I was also getting hang detected in the sage log while the slowmotion recordings were happening. I cycled sage and it cleared up again..

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

I also had another occurance today. Snagged the logs and sent them in to support. This time I had to reboot as the service refused to stop when I tried to restart it.

Also, as support pointed out to me you should be looking at System Information for the JVM memory usage numbers and not Task Manager. I think the first number is what Sage is currently using, second is the largest that the JVM has reached so far (Often matches Task Manager), and the last is what you've set the max to in the registry.

S
Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage Expert

The 800MB was the current and max used from the jvm monitor in Sage. My total is set to 1200MB.

For some reason, my HD-PVR would not work at all on my windows box, I attached it to my mac latop and did a manual capture and all worked fine. I re-attached it to my windows server, and now it works fine on there as well.. Must have been some strange state, I now have both the colossus and my HD-PVR working on sage, and they both seem to record fine right now with audio/video...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm seeing some memory issues as well with the beta sage. I don't even use an hd-pvr or colossus. Interesting
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

And to make this more confusing --

While setting up my Colossus this evening, after several channel previews (maybe a couple dozen) in the channel setup, I began experiencing (apperently) the slow motion problem, where the preview updated only about once a second. I confirmed it also did this full screen. But when I checked my Java heap it was very small (I don't recall the exact number, but my max is set to 1024 and it was not even above 3-400). When I closed sage to reboot my Pea Sea, I was almost immediately greeted with a BSOD, stop error 0x0000000a "Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal".

Could it be the "slow motion" and memory problems are unrelated?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Sage Expert

I don't think the memory is specifically related, but does cause similar effects. I used to have problems with sage hanging until I boosted the memory, but now the symptoms seem to come from something with the colossus capture, and not an out of memory condition since I was having the shutter at about 800MB and my max jvm settings is 1200MB.

I am curious with other people have the following set to in their sage.properties file:

mmc/set_crossbar_redundantly=false

I thought on one of the release notes it was switched to default to true, but if mine is set to true, it shutters really bad, if I set it to false it can go a day or so before an issue.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

I'm pretty sure the memory issues are not the cause of the stuttering but a symptom. When the stuttering occurs memory usage in Sage climbs. If it reaches the JVM limits then Sage itself becomes unresponsive and even locks ups. The one thing I can't account for is the fact that as soon as the Sage service is restarted the stuttering ceases and all is well again for another day.

S
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage Expert

Last night my recordings started getting really choppy and I tried just playing a movie from my imported media, and the playback of that was very choppy. I also waited for all the recordings to complete and then tried playing the imported movie, and it was still choppy. I cycled sage and then it played fine.

So what ever is happening seems to effect sage on any playback until it is cycled..

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Sage Icon

Support just replied with the results of my logs and it was the HD-PVR driver that caused the issue not the Colossus or Sage itself. The HD-PVR was trying to record something else and Sage noticed that the file size was no longer growing so it tried to reset the HD-PVR. At that point the HD-PVR driver completely locked up and brought the whole Sage process down with it affecting the Colossus recording and the Sage UI.

Since this was a fresh install on a new drive, I installed all the latest drivers even for the HD-PVR (1.5.7). I had previously stuck with the 1.5.6 beta and also have the 1.0.53 saved. Any recomendations?

S
Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

Last night after all scheduled recordings had finished I reverted the HD-PVR driver back to the 1.0.53 version. My SO will have live TV going on the Colossus all day while I'm at work.

S
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Last night after all scheduled recordings had finished I reverted the HD-PVR driver back to the 1.0.53 version. My SO will have live TV going on the Colossus all day while I'm at work.

S
I am running the 1.5.6.0 HD-PVR drivers and have similar issues. Looking forward to the results of your 1.0.53 testing.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Sage Icon

Got it to replicate this while only using the Colossus for recording live TV. HD-PVR's had not been used at all the entire day.

Same symptoms, stuttering audio and video, soon the Sage UI itself started having issues and became unresponsive. The services control panel was unable to stop the Sage service and I had to end task on it.

I'm pretty certain the Hauppauge drivers will be proven to be the culprit I just wish someone could reproduce this in WinTV so Hauppauge would help troubleshoot and fix their &*#$ drivers.

S