SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

enabling ffdshow issues

Didn't want to hijack the other fellow's thread re codecs and settings, but I'm having a related issue. I can select ffdshow as my dvd and video decoder in Sage without altering Sage's properties file (maybe this is a v2 thing?) and it works well on anything that isn't copy protected. But it won't play commercial dvd's. I have two other codecs (PowerDVD and WinDVD4), but selecting them means no ffdshow. Is it possible to use ffdshow for postprocessing, and if so, how?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:10 PM

The last version of Sage 2 includes that filter automatically so you don't have to do the properties file change any more.

The problem is you are using Elecard I am guessing? Elecard can not do encrypted MPEG2 (DVD's). Other good decoders to use with ffdshow are Sonic and NVDVD. Those will do DVD's as well.

BTV Hauppauge Intervideo works same as Elecard in case you are using that.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I can use the Intervideo (WinDVD) or the Cyberlink (PowerDVD) codec, as I have both. But if I choose one of those as my video decoder filter in Sage, ffdshow doesn't do its thing -- at least there's no OSD.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:59 PM

ffdshow will only use your default decoder when you select ffdshow in Sage. If you want to try one of those you need to get one of them set as your default decoder in Windows.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
ffdshow will only use your default decoder when you select ffdshow in Sage. If you want to try one of those you need to get one of them set as your default decoder in Windows.
OK, great! How do I do that?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:15 PM

Check out my question and then the answer.

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...7700#post37700

Also, I have noticed that with some decoders it is a last one in situation. So maybe if you un-install one then install it, it will be the default.

When you select ffdshow as the decoder in Sage, make sure ffdshow is configured to put a tray icon in the task bar. If you right click on it a big pop-up menu will come up and the decoder it is actually using will be shown at the top.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Still no joy. Downloaded the tool Stanger referred to in that thread, tried all manner of uninstalling, reinstalling, prioritizing and de-prioritizing the various filters (I only own PowerDVD and WinDVD). Nothing works. I am dealing with the DirectShow filters in the filter manager tool, right?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:00 PM

I think so. What decoder is listed as being used by ffdshow?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Great, this is the one last thing i was really interested in.. I use ffdshow with my projector all the time (reclock as well for audio) .. I just enabled it and had a look...

NVDVD is the preferred renderer though i'm still not 100% convinced by its ffdshow capabilities... just a note.. windvd is one of the most highly recommended filters with ffdshow/software decoding ..

Anyways.. all works except one minor problem.. upon getting to a video i get 3 ffdshows appear in my toolbar.. i assume they're all running simultaneously as the framerate is poor and yet i know this machine can handle these settings for movies in zoomplayer..

any ideas?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think so. What decoder is listed as being used by ffdshow?
When I play a non-CSS DVD, the Intervideo Video Decoder is listed under ffdshow. Of course, I don't know whether that's the non-CSS version that comes with Sage, or the version that's installed with WinDVD4.

DVD's play fine in WinDVD. I've uninstalled PowerDVD until I can figure this stuff out.

I do appreciate your patience and your willingness to help.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

I tried to get Fddshow working but also get the mpeg1 & 2 broken error when I go into Fddshow config to enable codecs all suported RAW. I've uninstalled reinstalled Fddshow twice and just uninstalled it again. Reinstalled WinDVD5 and uninstalled Clinet and am about to reinstall Client on my main system, rebooting now after uninstall... Not that my PQ is bad via ATI dongle @ 1080i, better than analog cable direct and better than VCR recording, but if Fddshow can make it even crisper and smoother I WANT it too!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:40 AM

I have a feeling that you guys having issues are due to decoders. I don't think PowerDVD or WInDVD can work with ffdshow. It is possible but I have not heard of it being done.

So far ones that have worked for sure are Elecard, Sonic (after a registry setting), and NVDVD.

Last edited by mlbdude; 05-20-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I suppose nvDVD is worth a try. Sadly, though, it appears that nVidia has removed the trialware download for nvDVD v2 from its website. Anybody have a link to a different site that has it?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I found a trial download of nvDVD 2.55 (in Romania, of all places) and installed it. Uninstalled WinDVD. Selecting nvDVD as the decoder filter in Sage works fine. The only choices in that menu are Default, nVidia, ffdshow, and Intervideo (which I suppose is the non-CSS version that comes bundled with Sage, since I uninistalled my copy of WinDVD4). Prioritized nvDVD using that filter selection tool (I think). Still can't play CSS dvd's using ffdshow. What on earth am I doing wrong?
Old 05-20-2004, 06:09 AM

So in Sage you selected ffdshow as your vdeo decoder? From your post is sounds like you chose NVDVD.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So in Sage you selected ffdshow as your vdeo decoder? From your post is sounds like you chose NVDVD.
I've tried both. I selected nvDVD to confirm that it installed correctly and was decrypting CSS properly. Worked fine, but of course no ffdshow filters. Then I switched to ffdshow, restarted Sage, and tried again. No joy.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Lets recap.

You select ffdshow in Sage. You restart, and go to playback a recording (don't do DVD's yet). What happens exactly?

Also, make sure Hardware Acceleration is disabled everywhere Sage and the decoders.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I don't yet have a TV feed into my pc (cable guy is coming this afternoon), but I do have a non-CSS DVD for testing.

In desperation, I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything (Sage, ffdshow, nvDVD, WinDVD) to see what would happen.

Working with my test non-CSS DVD, I select the nVidia decoder in Sage. Works fine -- the DVD plays, the nVidia icon appears in the tray. I try a CSS DVD, same deal. Everything's jake.

Now, I select ffdshow instead of nVidia for video output. Quit Sage, restart. Play the non-CSS DVD. The nVidia icon appears in the tray, as does the ffdshow icon. The DVD plays, but the video output is all bollixed up -- many horizontal lines and what looks like several images of what's supposed to be on the DVD. Clearly, there's something wrong with my ffdshow settings (wasn't before, but hey, we can fix that problem later).

I try a CSS DVD. The nVidia icon appears in the tray, which is good -- I think it means that ffdshow is using the nVidia decoder. But then I get the dreaded "Key Exchange for DVD Copy Protection Failed" message.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:02 AM

I think you have some ffdshow settings wrong. See if you can reset them all back to default (except for the Raw Video codec setting and the OSD or Tray icon settings).

Also, have you verified that NVDVD is not using Hardware Acceleration? That is a property in that control panel that shows up.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is getting very strange. When I disable Hardware Acceleration in the nVidia systray and then restart Sage using the nVidia codec for video playback, Sage locks up when it tries to play the video (from hd or from dvd). If I enable hardware acceleration, Sage plays the video just fine using the nvDVD codec.

I'm at my wit's end. If the gains from using ffdshow didn't appear so dramatic, I would've given up long ago.