SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Silicondust leaving me in the dust?

I was wondering if anyone knows anyone at silicon dust or a phone number or maybe someone from silicondust monitors this forums but I have made numerous support requests and not received any response. I had two tuners go bad on me in the 0 tuner not the -1. They replaced one on warranty and I ordered a brand new one from amazon. The new one came and now the -0 doesn't work on that one?! I emailed in response to the same request and started a new ticket when they didn't respond to that old one. It has been 4 weeks without a response now!

Help!

Neil
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Have you checked your spam folders? Maybe they run into the same issue that SageTV tech support does -- they send a reply, but it is blocked by spam filters.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage User

Hi Neil,

I am from Silicondust.

You should receive a response to any trouble ticket post/email within one working day. Sometimes two if the case needs to be reassigned.

What is the case number (or case numbers)? - I will look up the history.

Nick
Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thank Nick I did get a reply. I replied back and nothing back. Something is really amiss there with the ticketing system or you guy do hate me

Neil
Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Thank Nick I did get a reply. I replied back and nothing back. Something is really amiss there with the ticketing system or you guy do hate me
What is the trouble ticket number?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ticket 9710. I need something to happen here. The quaility of my recordings / watching tv is really degraded. I have had comcast out here on two different occasions and there isn't an signal issue at this point.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have had HDHR units since they were first available. Over the years I have had questions and issues. In every case, I have received a personal response from a SD employee within 24 hours of posting on their forum.

In fact, I am pursuing an issue right now and received two message today; one responding to my question over the weekend and a second message in response to log files that I sent at their request.

Truly responsive. I can only think that your trouble report got wedged somewhere in their system. It certainly is not their typical behavior.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

I get some responses but ultimately now I have three HD Home Runs and only two tuners I can say work - ok at best! I am getting some responses but ultimately I can't send back my three non working units in advance of replacements. I have to run three units to have enough recording capacity. Anyway sometimes I get replies from them and other times I do not.

I am evaluating alternatives at this point as I can't continue this way. I will probably box up the newest one I bought from amazon about three weeks ago and send that back with no hassle. I should have done that a couple days after it starting causing trouble!

Also I had comcast come back out again to verify the problem is the tuners and it is without a doubt a tuner problem and not a provider issue...

Last edited by heffneil; 03-24-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added comcast.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Sage Icon

question is did comcast check only the signal coming into the house or did they check right before going into the HDHR?

What kind of splitters are you using?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

The last guy was pretty knowledgeable talking about return path and other signal levels. We have a particular tuner on one unit that is always bad. We moved the RG11 input I ran to this tuner direct and it was a big problem. Moved it to the other tuner on the same box and it wasn't too bad. I have a single splitter that goes to the cable modem and then a booster to a 1 x 8 splitter for all the tuners. We eliminated everything that could have been a problem and it still is. We checked signal quality with his test equipment and the comcast STBs and everything indicated cable signal was fine...

I have been traveling for a week and haven't heard back from Silicondust but I was anticipating the replacements being shipped to me this week so I could receive them and implement next week...

I don't believe this happened.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Sage Icon

I'm no way an expert. but boosting your signal could also give you issues. I have a 0 gain cable drop amp which worked wonders when I had all sorts of trouble.

You can have 2 type of trouble when you boost your signal; noise and over saturation.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think that your HDHR units are newer than mine, but after quite a bit of troubleshooting (with a lot of help from silicondust) it has been determined that my one unit is just plain worn out. kaput.

Now I need to figure out if I can limp along with one unit until their cablecard devce is released.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I also have a fairly old dual-tuner HDHR unit. Here's just a few little tidbits that I'll add to the discussion:

1) I've only had to contact Silicon Dust once, I don't even recall what it was at this point. They responded in less than 24 hours, and I setup the equipment to forward info to them, and within 3 days, the questions was answered.

2) After first purchasing the HDHR unit quite a while ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could move it to any room in the house and test the signal quality to that coax using the HDHR software from any computer - a nifty side-effect.

3) I have a cheap Radio-Shack signal booster where the coax enters my dwelling. It does appear to boost signal without negative affect on the quality.

4) I'm using some fairly decent coax cables, but I do have a 4-way splitter just before the HDHR device, and if I carry my notebook computer over to the HDHR while viewing signal meters, just simply moving the cables around a very small bit will alter the signal quality. I'm not really sure why that is so extraordinarly sensitive.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Before admitting to myself that my tuner was dieing, I bought a commercial grade 1:8 drop amp. Now every cable consumer has its own feed right from the drop amp.

Then, with SD's help, it was determined that my tuner was going out.

Still, I love the HDHRs and can't wait to buy their cablecard tuner.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

I keep emailing and no response. I bought some components to build a new server for sage and with that I am installing avermedia duet. I am going to see how it works. I expect better than my HDHomeRuns. I have two - one they recently replaced and another brand new one from amazon that are under warranty. The other one is older and not covered but at this point I am ready to throw my hands up and look elsewhere.

No phone number to contact anyone, numerous emails aren't getting me anywhere and I even pleaded my case to this forums which little improvement.

Overall I am disppointed in the customer service. I have a ceton card I can use as well so maybe in a few weeks I will be silicondust free.

Neil
Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Neil,

Have you posted on www.silicondust.com/forum? I have never waited more than 24 hours for a response from SD. Might be worth a try.

--John
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Also make sure you add their email address to your address book / white-list & make sure that their messages to you are not being dumped into your, or your providers spam folder(s)

I have 3 HDHomeruns & in the past they have always been very responsive whenever I've either submitted a trouble ticket or posted a problem on their forum.

-Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Guys I just want to reiterate that at this point silicon dust has been completely unresponsive to me. I have three of their tuners and they promised to replace them however it has been almost two weeks with not so much as a single email. At this point I strongly suggest looking elsewhere for your tuners needs. I hate to do that but I can not stand for poor customer service that I am experiencing.

Neil