SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Connection Lost

I've recently upgraded my server and clients to 2.0, from 2.0 beta. I actually retired one of the clients, and substituted in a newer machine.

I had the server and client 1 working well, immediately after the upgrade. I waiting on client 2 because I was swapping it out. I had problems with client 2 because of the license swap to a different machine. A reset of the server cleared this up....and now client 1 will not connect to the server.

It's not a "more than one computer using the same license" kind of error. It's showing a "lost connection, trying to reestablish" type of error once the UI has loaded. It never connects. I tried exiting the client, and starting it up again, with no luck. Next I tried exiting the client, the restarting the server, but the client still won't connect.

I can see the server (or shares on it) with no problems, so it's not a coincidental network failure. I could have used the wrong client license on client 2, but wouldn't that result in a different kind of error message? I don't want to go swapping licenses around, for fear of tangling everything up.

Little help?

--Mike
Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you connecting with an IP address or machine name? Whicever you use, try the other. Double check your IP address hasn't changed on the server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Sage User

OK, it looks like it was a license issue...of sorts.

Here's what I did: To check out Gerry's suspicions, I deselected autoconnect to server in settings, exited, and restarted the client. I got the "more than one license" dialog.

At this point, I wondered if I got some wires crossed when making my list of licenses. I have a server, two clients, and a recorder license. I pulled things out of email recently and combined them into a text file. I figured that perhaps I aligned the client licenses with the wrong machines.

I restarted the client with the register parameter, and entered the key that I thought it was supposed to have (according to the list, without trying to switch anything around). It took the key, and connected to the server. Then I had to see if the other client was still working, or if I had just taken its license. I closed that client, and reopened. No problem, it connected just fine.

Huh.... So, it was a license issue, but it looks like it already had the correct license. This would point me back to the fact that something in moving my other client to a new machine, with a new machine name, with a different number of letters, different system drive, etc. caused the servers license tracking to corrupt.

Thanks for getting me moving in a productive direction, Gerry.

--Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

You're welcome. Glad it worked out. The toughest troubleshooting is forum troubleshooting. At least one thing led to another.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.