SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 AM
Sage User

7.1.7 Randomly Closing - Java / Memory Problem?

Ever since I installed 7.1.7, I've been having issues with SageTV just randomly closing. I thought it may be due to the Java heap size so I changed it to 1024mb but that didn't seem to help. Last night after watching a recorded show, I hit exit on my remote and it crashed. There's no warning or message, SageTV justs closes. The one thing I've noticed is that power cycling the extenders seems to quickly max the Java heap and speed up the frequency of the crashes. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Sage Icon

On Sunday morning I did encounter Java heap issues with version 7.1.7. Sage did not crash on me but my system did go to sleep. Sage did generate a system message of "out of memory", the body of the message did suggest increasing the Java heap size which I did as soon as I could. I have not seen any further issues. I have Java version 1.6.0_24 and am running on a 64 bit windows 7. Perhaps your crash occurred while trying to write the system message. Have you increased the heap size? I believe the extenders use the same heap space as the server so the extenders appears to max it out. But Sage probably should be giving warning messages that heap space is low so it be corrected before crashes are caused.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your input, Carlgar . Yes, I do have my heap set at 1024mb (400d). After it crashed last night, I went ahead and updated Java to version 24. We'll see if that helps. I forgot to mention that this is happening on a fresh install of both Windows 7 64 bit and Sage 7.1.7.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Administrator

bmh: You've got posts in the customizations sections of the forum. Do you still have active customizations? If so, you should first try disabling or uninstalling them all to see if the issue remains.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Sage User

The plugins I have installed are Diamond 3.30, Comskip Playback, and SJQ4. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the latest Diamond and Comskip plugins. Also, I just installed SJQ4 a few days ago so I wouldn't think that would be the culprit either. Do you think it will help to turn on logging in Sage? I'd really hate to disable the plugins as the WAF will plummet

Last edited by bmh; 06-03-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Unless they fixed the memory leak issue in diamond that could be your problem. I use it and have had it happen, but it hasn't lately (in a long time actually).
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Unless they fixed the memory leak issue in diamond that could be your problem. I use it and have had it happen, but it hasn't lately (in a long time actually).
I believe it was fixed with the latest version. Before Diamond 3.30, I tried SageMC with 7.1.7 and had the same problem. I have since reinstalled Windows 7 and SageTV.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

As of yesterday I am working a similar bug with Sage ... client crashes to desktop with no warning frequently ... most often happens when starting playback or skipping trough a video during playback. This is 7.1.7 with a colossus installed but the issue doesnt seem to be related to recording via colossus or my other tuners. I have seen it immediately after a restart so at least in my case i dont think it is simply a heap size /out of memory issue but it is certainly generating Java exception log files.

I did a clean install of Sage to eliminate plugins and no change ... Logs were captured and sent to Sage last night.... Lets hope they help with the analysis. At this point the family are afraid to watch TV when i am not home so i hope its an easy fix.

Additional system info ... in the interest of full disclosure ..... Te OS in Win7 32 bit and the additional tuners are FIOS STBs connected via firewire.....

Last edited by FlyingDoc; 06-02-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Aded more system info
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Have either of you submitted a bug request.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh View Post
Also, I just installed SJQ4 a few days ago so I wouldn't think that would be the culprit either. I'd really hate to disable the plugins as the WAF will plummet
I had memory leak issues when I had sjq4 installed. I had to uninstall and my memory problems went away.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Sage User

Updating the Java software from v10 to v24 seems to have helped. The heap size now fluctuates from 400mb to 800mb where before it would stay in the 900mb to 1gb range.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes .. hence the statement "i have been working a bug with Sage"

They reviewed the logs and based on that suggested updating the Intel Video Driver.....Note in my case something was producing a crash log called hs_err_pidXXXX.log. From this Sage Support determined the module apparently responsible and identified it as an intel driver module.

This update was done earlier this evening ..... still testing the stability but i have been able to skip backwards and forwards on a couple of test recordings without a crash ..... more testing tonight ... i'll provide another update later.

OK i have run the system all evening with no crashes .... This has definitely improved the stability for me... Thanks Sage Support!

Last edited by FlyingDoc; 06-02-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Ststus update
Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc View Post
Yes .. hence the statement "i have been working a bug with Sage"

They reviewed the logs and based on that suggested updating the Intel Video Driver.....Note in my case something was producing a crash log called hs_err_pidXXXX.log. From this Sage Support determined the module apparently responsible and identified it as an intel driver module.

This update was done earlier this evening ..... still testing the stability but i have been able to skip backwards and forwards on a couple of test recordings without a crash ..... more testing tonight ... i'll provide another update later.

OK i have run the system all evening with no crashes .... This has definitely improved the stability for me... Thanks Sage Support!
Yeah, I was asking a general question that didn't apply to you. Sorry. Glad it works though.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I was planning on submitting a bug if the respones from this thread indicated it was indeed a bug. So far, it seems like Java was the culprit. I'll do some more testing and report back later
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh View Post
Ever since I installed 7.1.7, I've been having issues with SageTV just randomly closing. I thought it may be due to the Java heap size so I changed it to 1024mb but that didn't seem to help. Last night after watching a recorded show, I hit exit on my remote and it crashed. There's no warning or message, SageTV justs closes. The one thing I've noticed is that power cycling the extenders seems to quickly max the Java heap and speed up the frequency of the crashes. Anyone else having this issue?
I've been noticing random closes too lately. I'll turn on the TV hooked up to the extender and Sage won't come up. Upon checking the server, I'll SageTV isn't running.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Sage User

It's been 4 days since I updated Java and I have had zero issues with memory or random crashes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was having constant Out of memory issues with version 7.17. I tried disabling some of my plugins, but could find the one(s) causing the problem, so I reverted back to Sage 7.15 and now the problem is gone. I will not upgrade until the figure out the issue with the plugins. And no I didn't submit a bug report. I do not have the time to run all the logs and send everything in. If I get the time at a later date I might do this but I need it to just work so I will stay away from beta for a while.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300