SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

XBMC as a sage client?

Has anybody tried this and gotten it to work nicely?

There are two things driving me to look at this. First is that the Mac placeshifter client is incredibly slow and frustrating and since I just purchased a Colossus I have found that it wont play those files back at all, even though a program like VLC will play them back fine.

The thing that drove me to look into this now was the google deal. But the slow mac performance is the real impetuous.

I looked into XBMC a bit. Here are the features that I think are a must from XBMC:
  • being able to see my recordings
  • having my recordings organized by TV show like they are in Sage
  • being able to delete a watched show as I can in Sage
  • being able to have xbmc get the current location of where I am in a show from sage
  • being able to set the current location of where I am in a show back to sage

I think if I could do that with an integration I would be a very happy camper with xbmc. I think that means that I would have to use SJQ to move recordings around:
  • Movies would have to go to their own folder (xbmc doesn't deal with mixed tv and movies)
  • each show would have to go into its own directory
These two things I think are generally useful anyway when my wife wants to find a show outside of sage.

Has anybody tried doing this and could share their wisdom?

Thanks
Greg
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

hi,

Most of what you want can be done - there are 2 ways to go: one is a SageTV script which is a python script in xbmc and the other one is a plugin which is an xml file that instructs xbmc to get content from the SageTV webserver.

My feeling is that you are between platforms - why would you want to see things organised as in SageTV and why jump back and forth between the two with current location in a video? I wouldn't want to convince my houshold to use a different way to get to content on different screens.

I ended up with the xbmc as the frontend and the plugin which makes SageTV a source for videos and use SageTV as a backend only. It is the webserver that glues everything together. Reason for that is that this way xbmc has a consistent skin whereas if you use the script it looks a bit different.

I think if you do a search on xbmc and plugin you'd be able to find something.

Jan
Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Jan

Thanks for the info. You say that you ended up with xbmc as the frontend using a plugin. Is the plugin that sageTV python script? I did see mention of it so I should be able to find it fairly easily.

The reason I stated my requirements to include xbmc telling sage where the current watch point is for each video is because we often do move from watching in one location to watching in another location. I have two hd300s, a couple hd100s and placeshifter on any of the Macs in the house.

The reason I am looking at this is that the HD300 is barely fast enough with sage7 and the Mac client is horrifically slow.

The other thing that I ran across last night is that I was reading a blog post about xbmc and it says that it has to scrape the directory every time the contents change and this can be slow. It seems that xbmc is best suited for a static library, but with a PVR system, the contents are changing every hour. Are you using xbmc to watch your TV recordings? How is it working for you?

Also, I think that means that xbmc would be scraping the directory system on each client individually because it is a client based system only right? I think I saw that you can setup the fanart to be in directories so that the scraping isn't necessary. Are you doing that? If so, are you using something like SJQ to move TV shows into their own directories?

Thanks
Greg
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveres View Post
Hi Jan
Thanks for the info. You say that you ended up with xbmc as the frontend using a plugin.
Plugin: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35765
Script: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37206

Quote:
The reason I stated my requirements to include xbmc telling sage where the current watch point is for each video is because we often do move from watching in one location to watching in another location.
There is something on lifehacker.com that allows you to sync watchpoints over different xbmc's but I haven't bothered. SageTV lives in the basement so I had no need to sync with that one at all.

Quote:
The reason I am looking at this is that the HD300 is barely fast enough with sage7 and the Mac client is horrifically slow.
I run xbmc on several XBOX machines so I shouldn't really comment on speed but I find it good enough - I record from satellite but no HD as the XBOX can't cope with that.

Quote:
The other thing that I ran across last night is that I was reading a blog post about xbmc and it says that it has to scrape the directory every time the contents change and this can be slow.
Yes - but it is ok given that you scrape a webserver which is local. Now I see something funny I was sure I had updated it to read the xml file version of the site but it seems it just scrapes the site. Screenshot 1 says it's reading 300+ shows - I find it workable until about 500 recordings. Screenshot 3 shows it integrates nicely with the overal xbmc look.

I use the xbmc daily - both to watch tvseries ripped from dvd and recorded tv. Given a possible shortage of licences an xbmc client is quite nice as it doesn't require any - although I bought more than I use which I didn't mind to support an excellent product. Series are ripped and have .nfo files while recorded tv gets all data from SageTV webserver. Given that we're not English speaking that's about the best we can get for now.

Quote:
I think I saw that you can setup the fanart to be in directories so that the scraping isn't necessary. Are you doing that? If so, are you using something like SJQ to move TV shows into their own directories?
I cheated a bit - I created a /thumbs directory under the SageTV webserver and I put thumbnails in there manually which have favourite id as their filename and the webserver passes these on to xbmc nicely. I hardly record anything manually so it's a one-off effort (and compromise) and I have included an icon for manual recordings as well which is good enough.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot001.jpg (14.4 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot003.jpg (76.0 KB, 271 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV.zip (35.9 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by jhh; 06-22-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added ref to screenshots
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
SageTVaholic

@Jan -
There appears to be another plugin for XBMC here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...ghlight=sagetv

What are the pros and cons of your method vs this one?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Wayner,

They are 2 different approaches which can be used next to each other.

In xbmc you have: movies, tvseries and videos. I think bradvido88 is using the library functionality in xbmc on movies and tvseries to do scraping/organizing. I use the videos view where SageTV is my default source - I don't use xbmc to do metadata scraping as I only use information which is in SageTV. Originally I had a thumbnail for all my favourites so that got presented in xbmc for every recording (if found) in addition to epg details but now I don't even bother about the series thumbnails.

If you're interested in longer term storing, fanart, correct descriptions then bradvido88 is the way to go - if you just want access to your recordings then mine is good enough. Both integrate nicely in xbmc and they can co-exist so why choose?

I looked a bit into aaronb's plugin here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=645838&postcount=8 - he has the same approach as I have. Only he has an option to categorize recordings in folders while I have just one looong list. If you want to do this zero maintenance - you could group them by favorite then there would be no need to modify the plugin to accomodate more categories.

Jan

Last edited by jhh; 06-24-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: ref to aaronb plugin added