SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linux Server/HD300 "Hang" on show transition

Not sure if this is an extender or a Server issue. But.. I've run into an issue on my Linux server ( 7.1.9 - although the same happens in 7.0.23 ) when show transitions occur on channels present on a particular TP, the HD300 playback "Hangs". The new show on the particular channel is being successfully recorded on the server when this occurs.. Changing from the affected channel to a new one and back again "clears the issue", bit it's a PIA for my client base..

I've run the same scenario on a VM using a windows 7.1.9 server and it doesn't display the same behaviour. My setup is pretty vanilla.. A Dell T410 Server running Lucid 10.04 x64 with two DVB-T HDHomeRun devices and 3 HD300 Clients.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Peter

Note: Unfortunately The issue appears to be related to the DVB-T HD Homerun devices.. PCI/USB DVB-T Devices work as expected - All devices work as expected in windows

Last edited by peterjb; 07-28-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok.. I'm slowly going nuts with this problem.. I've pretty much tried everything I can think of.. I've tried to do some TCP tuning, via sysctl, which appears to improve some parts of the HDHomerun experience - but it still doesn't actually resolve the issue.

I'm currently running an vanilla SageTV 7.1.9 install on a OTB Xubuntu 10.04.3 AMD64 install on a Dell T410 PowerEdge server. All of my HD300's are at the latest beta firmware.. I'd really appreciate it if anyone out there that has done some TCP tuning could provide me feedback on what settings they're using..

Cheers

Peter
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

FYI - In the end a solution to this problem would appear to be simple.. Make DVB-T HDHomeRun devices look like native DVB-T Devices to avoid some issues with SageTVs handling of these devices under Linux. How? Use the dvbhdhomerun packages available from http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/wiki

In my testing so far this evening these appear to be simply freaking brilliant - scanning is fast, channel changes are fast and no hangs on my HD300's ( Touch Wood! ).. Now I just need to alter the init-script for SageTV to introduce a dependency on the completion of the startup of the dvbhdhomerun-utils service. And I was just about to give up and succumb and install & configure WHS2011.. Phew!!!!

Cheers

Peter