SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

View Poll Results: Is the mini guide navigation correct?
Yes, this is proper and works as it should. 7 43.75%
No it's backwards and is not consistent with full EPG 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

What does the community think! - mini guide scrolls in wrong direction?

So I've brought this up before but some of the devs don't agree with me(well only 1 dev that i know ahem...bialio )

So when u pull up the mini guide (when watching live tv press "down"). Pressing down moves the channels down and the text scrolls down. Likewise Pressing up moves the channels up in number and the text scrolls up.

Now the issue I see is the full EPG doesn't work like this. As you press down the channel numbers AND text scrolls up (the only thing that moves down is highlighted focus selection). Likewise when you press up the channel numbers move down and the list/text scrolls down.

Does anybody else see an issue (or annoyance) with this? Or Am i just crazy It's just two different methodologies that I feel should be uniform between both guides. Or at least add an option to make the mini guide behave the same as the full guide. Let's hear from community!

Last edited by Gustovier; 07-27-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

I think you're crazy!

You asked....

For me personally, I don't see an issue with the way it is. Probably doesn't help you plight...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

You arent crazy - the UI needs to be consistent from a uability perspective.

With that said the full guide works as commonly expected and the mini guide should follow.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh no.. I'm so used to the mini-guide that if its changed I'll never get it

Grant
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok so I just made a poll to make it easy on the community to participate. Let's see what the people say :-)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Go to the EPG, then press menu(or options if using a mouse/keyboard) Menu Options->Channel Sorting->List Channels in Reverse, change that. That will swap your epg.

I also filed a bug when 7.0 first came out, since this setting also flips your channel changing, so channel up on your remote makes the channels go lower. So you can use

ui/reverse_channel_surf=true

In your clients .properties files. I'm not sure what settings the miniguide follows, but changing these 2 settings may make them all sync up.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Sage Icon

Phoenix UI may not handle the keystrokes the same at all as the STV.
A great example are buttons like 'Pictures' that are not handled at all by Phoenix but take the expected action in STV.

Not sure if those properties are options for Phoenix... anyone test?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM
SageTVaholic

The issue is one of consistency - when you are in the Video OSD, Channel up goes to the next channel higher (3 -> 4). So Up in the miniguide does the same.

The Full guide is a 2 way table that you are moving the highlight around on, so it goes up / down / left right as you direct it.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
The issue is one of consistency - when you are in the Video OSD, Channel up goes to the next channel higher (3 -> 4). So Up in the miniguide does the same.

The Full guide is a 2 way table that you are moving the highlight around on, so it goes up / down / left right as you direct it.
But that works cause the button is actually labeled "channel up" therefore it explicitly states what's supposed to happen. Now there are cases when channel up and down buttons can be repurposed such as in the full epg. In that case they function more like "page up/down", this is intuitive based off years of cable box manipulation. People just know that down directionally actually means up/increase in channel # navigation within cable guides. Just like down means up when flying an airplane (video game). Now I know not all things function like this, but this how people expect epg's to act, and that includes mini pegs as well (look at the votes..lol)

Directional buttons are a little different as they don't explicitly state they are doing something specific as a "channel up" button. You just know your doing movement of some sort. How and what moves is purely up to the software/physics and intuitively people expect this.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree that this is backwards as to "expected" behavior from other stb. Tho, honestly I didn't notice until I checked after I first read this thread.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

So Bialio you think as a compromise we could have the direction flow be set as as an option for the mini guide?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

now stop bothering me.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
now stop bothering me.

YES!!! We truly appreciate this!!! And thank you for listening as well

Last edited by bialio; 08-19-2011 at 08:07 PM.