SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I believe it depends on the type of error... though I'm not not sure which errors those logs are created for.

Edit: It seems that it is a java error log, not from SageTV itself.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 06-01-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Sage User

Still waiting on Frey to make Intel chipsets + PVR-350 w/TV-Out compatible.

In the mean time, I'm trying out Knoppmyth:

Install of OS w/Mythtv simple. I'm used to Mandrake with all it's addmin apps, the Knoppmyth/Debian OS appears to be min. install for MythTv.

Configuring Mythtv more complicated.

Able to get signal with PVR tuner on monitor, but unable to to get S-video input to work.

Local channels are filled in (for tuner), but no other information, found out Zap2it now requires a log-in (which lasts 3 mnths) and requires new "grab" software.

After compiling/installing new grab software, acts like it's downloading tv program information, but does not populate the database (mysql). However I'm able to change (local) channels.

Spent about 8 hours over the weekend trying to get it to work and will continue to plug away, because I don't know if Frey will ever get their sofware to work with my hardware.....
Old 06-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

"Still waiting on Frey to make Intel chipsets + PVR-350 w/TV-Out compatible."

Is this somthing that Frey is even working on? They dont write the drivers so that might make it a little difficult for them to do.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
re: commercial skip
Since this can't be done reliably it is not worth doing.
Wow you're the first person I'ver ever heard say that. Sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's always been at least 80-90% for me. It is sooo nice when a commercial comes on, you click a button on the remote, and all of a sudden the show is starting again. It also makes archiving to DVD without commercials easy - the commercials are marked as chapters and you just delete them out.

I think there are a lot of people that would love to see this implemented in Sage. It is also a big selling point of competive software. It is definitely something worth doing.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yep, very much so. Even at 70% accuracy it would be worth it. Early Replay is awesome because of this (and there, it wasn't even the click of a button...totally automatic). I wasn't aware that any other app was doing it because of the problems they ran into, but someone really should design a way to do it, even if it's not standard inclusion with the program.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Yep, very much so. Even at 70% accuracy it would be worth it. Early Replay is awesome because of this (and there, it wasn't even the click of a button...totally automatic).
Yep, Myth can do the automatic thing too

I think this thread is getting a bit off track though - we shouldn't be diagnosing/boasting about Myth in the Sage forum. My orig. post was not about starting controversy, merely to point out that Sage had a little way left to go compared to what I was used to.

BTW, I got Sage installed and after a frustrating hour (not days like I had on my first Myth install, or even the 8hrs like utica has had to deal with for the new guide data) with playing with various decoders/overlay/mixer settings I got a picture in Live TV. I found setting up my recordings fairly easy with very similar options as Myth.

I am curious...how do I go about custom keybindings? I have an ATI Remote Wonder (RF) that I use...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by shomann
Yep, Myth can do the automatic thing too

I think this thread is getting a bit off track though - we shouldn't be diagnosing/boasting about Myth in the Sage forum. My orig. post was not about starting controversy, merely to point out that Sage had a little way left to go compared to what I was used to.

I don't think it's about boasting or talking about Myth, simply that Sage seems to do most things better than any other app, except this, and I'm not sure why. I understand why Frey themselves decided not to go this route, but not sure why so many of the programmers on here haven't tackled the idea (if it's possible), particularly those with access to Studio (though I may be mis-understanding its function). In my mind, this addition would make Sage perfect for my uses.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

shomann,

You really should give Sage another shot, there was a problem with the trial that causes it to exit. It's supposed to be fixed now.

As for key bindings, it's under Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Link Commands...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am curious...how do I go about custom keybindings? I have an ATI Remote Wonder (RF) that I use...
Apart from linking keys to particular commands as stanger89 mentioned, have a look at this thread: SageTV plugin for ATI Remote Wonder.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You really should give Sage another shot, there was a problem with the trial that causes it to exit. It's supposed to be fixed now.
Funny, you are the first to say that since I posted yesterday LOL. I have re-installed Sage and am re-evaluting it as we type...
Old 06-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Commercial skip was about 80% accurate for me in any system I used it with (and getting worse as the network do their tricks). Which meant I could not trust it and would always have to check and make sure I did not miss anything. In the end it was too slow to use and just jumping the commercials was faster and less aggravating. No guessing games.

Anything that works some times or even most of the time is a waste. It should either work or not.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

Same experience here... Maybe 70-80% accurate. Was frustrating though. Sometimes it would start into the show, sometimes in commercial. When it didn't work you never knew exactly how far away you were from where you wanted to be.

For me and my wife, the FFWD2+1 or 2 FFWD1 is MUCH faster and almost 100% reliable.

So, each to their own.

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Commercial skip was about 80% accurate for me in any system I used it with (and getting worse as the network do their tricks). Which meant I could not trust it and would always have to check and make sure I did not miss anything. In the end it was too slow to use and just jumping the commercials was faster and less aggravating. No guessing games.

Anything that works some times or even most of the time is a waste. It should either work or not.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Funny, you are the first to say that since I posted yesterday LOL. I have re-installed Sage and am re-evaluting it as we type...
Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Sage Expert

MlbDude:

Agreed.

I have noticed one oddity with commercials. When viewing Live TV, I frequently will bring up the Browser and read a few forum threads/posts. Frequently, but not always, the commercial will not let me take "focus" from Sage and bring the focus to the browser. I have confirmed this many times that as soon as the commercial ends or in between commercials, I can steal focus. I can always take focus away from Sage when the "show" is back on.

Not a problem but a curiosity. How does a commercial manage to keep focus? Anyone else ever notice this?

DFA
Old 06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

[Tinfoil hat on]
It's the man, it's a conspiracy to make you watch commertials. They monitor the output of you display to and when commercials are on they make Sage "Always on top" then when the show's back they change it back. Just line your house with tin foil and it will stop.
[/Tinfoil hat on]
Old 06-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Sage Expert

Exactly. Although I've had better luck with crystals and pyramid dangly things.

I have not checked to see if this is true of recorded shows because we always jump the commercial. But in a way, Live TV is also a "recorded show" so I would think it is probably there as well.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 06-02-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

But those are more expensive.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DFA
How does a commercial manage to keep focus? Anyone else ever notice this?
Um... uh... are you sure there isn't someone else in the room with a remote? We did that to a professor in college -- every time he pressed Play on the VCR to show us a film one day, someone else pressed Stop on the remote.

It hasn't happened to me & I just tried it with a commercial just now. (I just had to!)

- Andy
Old 06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Sage Expert

Well, I swore I did not have a "double Enter" in my Girder "Automatic Enter" scripting but I did and Stanger caught the syntax error.

So.. anything is possible but someone went to a lot of trouble to buy an extra GyroMouse if that is the case. But like I said, not ALL commercials do it. At first I thought it was something to do with the different Sage betas I was running through and did not put it together for a while. I finally noticed that it only occurred during commercials and never during a show.

I swear! Scouts honor.

I am using Brighthouse with digital box. What I have not taken notice of if it is from the s-video signal or the direct cable hookup. The lower channels are configurd for the direct analog cable hookup. I'll pay attention to that variation in the future. Like I said, a curiosity.

DFA
Old 06-02-2004, 02:59 PM

Don't feel bad opus4, I just read this post and had to try it too. Nothing weird on my setup. I have to say if it had happened to me I would be very freaked out.

Showman,
Good luck with Sage.

Quote:
Like I said, a curiosity.
Still a very interesting one. Please be sure to let us all know if you descern another other patterns. Though I can't figure out how this could happen thru external(content providers) control. Most likely a statistical anomoly about commercials and it''s something else in your setup. Still very strange and yes, I do believe you.

Last edited by justme; 06-02-2004 at 03:03 PM.