SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Anything that works some times or even most of the time is a waste. It should either work or not.
Oh hell. What about democracy?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 PM

poor showman, about half this thread is soo OT. I was actually considering doing a thread split to help him. Now look I've gone and done too.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Sage Expert

OK.

I'm falling back to the tin foil theory. Works for me.

DFA
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DFA
Well, I swore I did not have a "double Enter" in my Girder "Automatic Enter" scripting but I did and Stanger caught the syntax error.
Um, no offense to stanger89, but I think it was someone else who found that script problem for you. (At least publicly in that thread.)

Quote:
I finally noticed that it only occurred during commercials and never during a show.
This is truly great news, though! Doesn't anyone else realize that there is now a new reliable way to determine when a commercial is playing so that it can be automatically skipped!?!

Rats... it doesn't work for me, though. I may have to file a bug report.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Sage Expert

Oooooops, got my people mixed up. So sorry Andy. Yep, it was you who corrected the syntax. But better than that, you showed me very simply how it could accept leading zeros. I was contemplating a lot of additional scripting for what took a simple character change.

I owe Stanger for something else. At least as I recall. It's hell when 60 is around the corner.

Anyway, this dodering dude has seen it and unless some amazing statistical coincidence as suggested, I wait to be vindicated.

Got to go to the store for some memory pills and that tin foil now.

PS: For what it's worth, Mozilla is already launched and in the Task bar. Repeated attempts during certain commercials just will not bring Moz into focus. I have to put Sage to "sleep" if I really want the browser during one of these "episodes" or wait for the commercial to end.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 06-02-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Sage Expert

By the way, where are you Shomann? How are things going thus far? Want to hear your results the second go round.

One thing you can be sure of: If we were having unsurmountable problems, we would probably not be here and gone elsewhere for PVR.

DFA
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DFA
For what it's worth, Mozilla is already launched and in the Task bar. Repeated attempts during certain commercials just will not bring Moz into focus. I have to put Sage to "sleep" if I really want the browser during one of these "episodes" or wait for the commercial to end.
This is just too wierd! I think you should start a new thread on this subject just to see who else is experiencing this. I can't think of any reason why this would be limited to commercials, though... I was going to suggest that perhaps Girder was somehow keeping SageTV in focus, but then that still doesn't fit the commercials-only scenario that you describe. You can't simply click on another window & have it retain focus??

Let us know if the tin foil works!

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by shomann
Like Sage, MythTV has been steadily improving. The Knoppmyth distro has taken MOST of the pain assoiciated with a Myth install. It is based on Debian 3.0 and has some well thought out Linux addons. They JUST released a new ISO based on the newest Myth 0.15. Install is quite simple, download and burn ISO to CD, reboot with CD and install. It is script based and will sniff out the tuner cards. They have really stressed support for the Nforce chipset, but by no means is this the only way to go.

I suggest anyone that is interested in experimentation in Myth to try Knoppmyth. Those that like to really experiment should go for a Debian or Fedora (Redhat) distro.

I did not check for logs, so once again I am being schooled

I am beginnning my re-install of Sage in the next hour.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Okay, that's it, I'm sold. I have a new NForce motherboard coming in (if fedex ever feels like delivering it) and it's gonna be a myth box right off the bat. I'll give 'er a go again and see if I can get it working, cuz like I've said many times, the commercial skip is an important feature, even if it's hit and miss. The shows that I watch and record (Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Enterprise, MXC, Good Eats, and Jamie's Kitchen if anyone's interested) all have what seem to be long segues to commercials (the black screens.) Anywya, time to call FedEx and gripe again.. later!

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
The shows that I watch and record (Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Enterprise, MXC, Good Eats, and Jamie's Kitchen if anyone's interested) all have what seem to be long segues to commercials (the black screens.)
Myth has Black frame detection and scene change detection and they can be combined. The recordings are post-scanned and the commerical data added. Black frame detection is quite a bit faster than scene change, taking about .5hr/1hr show.The only show that I watch where comm detect constantly screws up CSI, so YMMV.

Make sure you get the latest R4V4 release. It will provide you with the newer method of Zap2It guide data (DataDirect) rather than having to jump through hoops.

Quote:
By the way, where are you Shomann? How are things going thus far? Want to hear your results the second go round.
Much better. I think I must have been bitten by the bug mentioned eariler in the thread on my first install.

You guys have suggested several MPEG-2 decoders and I have also seen others mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I thought going with the NVDVD decoder would be a good bet, seeing as how all my hardware is NVIDIA. Everytime I try to use it, I get errors (either video or audio stream failed or the mixer failed). I am currently using Elecard and have noticed 2 things:

(1) The picture quality overall is about the same as what I have been used to...but I know that I can tweak it further once I start really playing with it

(2) The motion compensation is quite a bit nicer. I think this has more to do with the NVIDIA video card driver being more developed on the Windows side, and not the MPEG-2 decoder in use, but still.

I still haven't gotten the ATI Remote working, as I only had a little time to play last night. The plug-in instructions specify a folder that isn't in the Sage directory on my install. Do I have to have girder installed no matter what, or does this work on its own?

All in all, I think Sage is at least holding its own in my mind against Myth at this point. There is no question that the 2 are on the top of the list in HTPC software, each having pluses and minues.

Now I am not entirely sure which I will end up with in the end game...

Last edited by shomann; 06-03-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shomann
I still haven't gotten the ATI Remote working, as I only had a little time to play last night. The plug-in instructions specify a folder that isn't in the Sage directory on my install.
Don't the instructions specify placing those files into "the Remote software's plugin's directory"? I think they mean a directory where the ATI software is installed, not in the SageTV directory.

- Andy
Old 06-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

shomann, set your DXVA settings to default to get rid of the errors. Do not use the Nvdvd audio codec it will casue crashing on FF and RW. On my system (a shuttle) the picture is MUCH better with nvdvd.