SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
LiveTV is on the radar and is actually coded, but untested and certainly rough around the edges (at best). SMM - no. This is a boxee app and so does not support any Sage plugins. We're basically aiming to provide a way to access PVR functionality (playback recordings, live tv**, view EPG, scheduled recordings, view/edit favourites). All the bells and whistles are not on the radar and likely aren't even possible, such as SMM. SMM for Boxee would have to be integrated into the our Boxee app's codebase. Certainly not stopping anyone from trying, but the UI framework for Boxee is lacking, to say the least. I think basic PVR functionality on a small device is the best we can hope for (and personally, is all I'm aiming for from this project). Others may have bigger hopes and dreams so time will tell where this project ends up.

** Live tv is a tricky one and isn't a priority if the currently implementation does not work.
Do you have enough people to test, or would it be a help to the effort if I found myself a BB to help?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck55 View Post
Do you have enough people to test, or would it be a help to the effort if I found myself a BB to help?
Go check out the thread in the media extender section. Anyone can test it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't encourage anyone to get a BB device just to test this app. I always say there's a chance we hit a road block along the way that simply can't be worked around and then the project halts. So I'm not telling users to pop $200 on a BB device because there's a chance you may end up with a $200 BB device and no Sage app. Feel free to join the Google Group for the latest on where we're at:

https://groups.google.com/group/sagetv-boxee-dev
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
My point was that they did not screw you, and no-one ran over anyone with a bus numerous times. The feature list of the SageTV software did not even mention the extender, though it did mention placeshifter (with a link to the purchase page for placeshifter) and that you could stream to other PC's with SageTV installed. It never once mentioned the ability to expand that system at a later time.
You didn't say anything about them screwing anyone. You said "everything I had before the acquisition I have now . . . ", and that's not true. That's the point I was addressing.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
My point was that they did not screw you, and no-one ran over anyone with a bus numerous times. The feature list of the SageTV software did not even mention the extender, though it did mention placeshifter (with a link to the purchase page for placeshifter) and that you could stream to other PC's with SageTV installed. It never once mentioned the ability to expand that system at a later time.
Fuzzy -

I respect your opinion, and just like rear ends, everybody's got one, and it's their right. But I respectfully disagree with some of it.

I think if you had just bought the entire system, and were evaluating an HD-300 and after having it for a little bit, went to purchase remaining needed HD-300's to build out the whole house setup, and find that the store is gone with a "Full Speed Ahead" replacing it, then getting a short period of placation, then nothing but beer banter for two months, I think your opinion would be a bit biased in the other direction. I call this "point of view", otherwise known as "which end of the gun are you on?".

Being that you've been around these forums way longer than I, I'm willing to bet that you had all the extenders, licenses, etc. you needed as of G-day. Am I wrong?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Fuzzy -

I respect your opinion, and just like rear ends, everybody's got one, and it's their right. But I respectfully disagree with some of it.

I think if you had just bought the entire system, and were evaluating an HD-300 and after having it for a little bit, went to purchase remaining needed HD-300's to build out the whole house setup, and find that the store is gone with a "Full Speed Ahead" replacing it, then getting a short period of placation, then nothing but beer banter for two months, I think your opinion would be a bit biased in the other direction. I call this "point of view", otherwise known as "which end of the gun are you on?".

Being that you've been around these forums way longer than I, I'm willing to bet that you had all the extenders, licenses, etc. you needed as of G-day. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. I have need of 2 more extenders/clients. I also am resourceful enough that the lack of the store isn't going to stop me from completing my system. Absolute worst case, I've already created a proof of concept bit of code about a year ago that presents a virtual directory of symlinks to sage recordings, in a navigable layout so that they can be browsed by any UPnP device. I can't manage favorites, etc - but it works good enough for secondary locations (garage, bedrooms, etc). Yes, the sage extenders are nice... but I honestly don't like them, I much prefer full PC's... (and didn't even consider them an option until the HD-300).

In my mind, the only irreplacable part of sagetv is the back-end. If you've got one of those, you can have whatever sized system you want. It may not be as pretty as the official sage interfaces, but the functionality will be there.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
to infinity and beyond
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

And people are wondering why the forums seem to be dying? It's because of threads like this. I hear enough b!tching at work. I sure as hell don't want to come here and read post after post of it. That's why I barely come here anymore. I killed all my thread subscriptions and no longer auto-sub. People are removing the "fun... hobby" aspect of the SageTV forums.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7

Last edited by Skirge01; 08-18-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Apparently I wasn't clear enough. ;-)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage Expert

For me, the last big thing sage delivered was the plug in manager. The core is rock solid and all the fun stuff that has come lately is from the plugin developers. As long as they stay on board, the fun for me will continue. When they depart, I'll set up my sage system with the ones I like the most and ride it until something better comes along.

Yes I was pissed when it first happened and had to spend a few extra bucks to gt a couple of HD300s and and HD200 off ebay, but now I have backups and will soon be building a client to reevaluate how they work.

I feel for those who do not have enough client licenses and will need to use work arounds, but where I am, sage is the best thing going and the company may be dead, but the product lives on.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
People are removing the "fun... hobby" aspect of SageTV.
By "People" you must mean Google...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
By "People" you must mean Google...
Edited.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting thread split. Why am I in here twice with the same post? Not complaining, I just thought the first one being my dead horse post is pretty funny.

We get it. People are pissed about sage. Get over it already. It does suck that things you can't control will affect you in life, but getting angry accomplishes nothing. I'm not happy that sage was purchased and may cease to exist (meaning no guide data, no community), but I'm not angry. All things must one day come to an end.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage

The purpose of this thread is for moving all the pointless posts that aren't contributing to the community at all so that those who still want to have a usable discussion forum can have someplace to go. So to all of the contributing community members; you can just ignore everything in this thread. To those that want to bitch, complain and just be outright disrespectful and rude...welcome to your new home!.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
To those that want to bitch, complain and just be outright disrespectful and rude...welcome to your new home!.
Wow. So people can't post about how they are feeling impacted by the apparent abrupt end-of-life for a product they loved so much, without being considered disrespectful and rude by the previous owner of the company.

This is my second and last post on the entire topic out of this whole situation.

Last nail is pretty much in the coffin for me now with this action.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Sage Expert

Now that we have a thread for all the people who are still bitching, can we have another thread where Opus can move all the posts where people are bitching about the fact that people are bitching about sage going away.

Only then will the rest of the forum be clean for the community.

Last edited by Rob; 08-18-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The purpose of this thread is for moving all the pointless posts that aren't contributing to the community at all so that those who still want to have a usable discussion forum can have someplace to go. So to all of the contributing community members; you can just ignore everything in this thread. To those that want to bitch, complain and just be outright disrespectful and rude...welcome to your new home!.
Edited - not even worth the anger i had with this post.

Clients: 3 x MediaMVP, 2 x HD-300, 4 x SageTV Client

Last edited by hoep; 08-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
+∞

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, these same people who are complaining apparently feel that they're the only ones allowed to do so. The rest of us aren't supposed to complain about the complaining. Oh well. Time to rejoin the rest of the forum and put this behind me.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

I consider no information for 2 months to loyal (paying) customers about the future of the product highly "disrespectful and rude". And if you still don't have the details worked out about what's going to happen with it well that's just sad and unbelievable...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Sadly, these same people who are complaining apparently feel that they're the only ones allowed to do so.
I guess you were referring to me, but if you will read my last few posts, I don't think I'm complaining about sage. It is what it is and I'm happy with my setup.

But, I do not see much difference between those that are bitching and those that are bitching about the bitching. It is all just bitching and I'd like to see all the bitching put into two threads. One for bitching and one for bitching about bitching. Then I can unsubscribe from them and enjoy the rest of the forums.