SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Sage Expert

I installed it last weekend. I had some issues with the install... first, I discovered that the firmware download link was updated, but the link to the drivers was still the one from last spring. So I emailed them, and a few days later I noticed that the link had been updated.

So I installed the new stuff this weekend. I had a couple issues with getting all the drivers properly installed -- I'm not convinced it wasn't my fault, but after a few attempts I finally got the latest versions of the drivers and the firmware installed.

Prior to this, I was losing my tuning adapter, and I'd have to go power cycle it. Since I got everything updated correctly I haven't had this problem, though it's still a bit early to say that it's fixed.

For reference, I have
Firmware version: 20130117
WinTV-DCR-2650 version: 1.0.31064.0 (dated 3/5/2013)
Tuning Adapter Driver version: 1.0.31064.0 (dated 3/5/2013)

Edit: I should add that I'm running Windows 7 and SageDCT 2.2.0.0

Last edited by Dargason; 03-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Sage Icon

It's been several years since the last post in this thread. I thinking about switching from DirecTV to Comcast cable primarily to eliminate the occasional rain/snow fade problems. I'm also thinking about switching from a Colossus to a cable card. Is the DCR-2650 still the best cable card hardware choice? How has the long term functionality been since several years have passed since the last post?

I need to do more research about how the cable cards work. My understanding is that the DCR-2650 only works with Windows Media Center, but can work with SageTV using SageDCT. I assume that the WMC GUI isn't needed and everything can be done directly (program guide and recorded programs) with the SageTV GUI after configuring SageDCT.

It was mentioned in the thread that the TS format is used by the DCR-2650. Does Comskip work with the DCR-2650? Upgrading to Windows 10 might be necessary in the future. Does the DCR-2650 work with Windows 10? Could two DCR-2650's be used so that I could record 4 programs at once? The downside is doubling the purchase cost and two monthly outlet fees.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
It's been several years since the last post in this thread. I thinking about switching from DirecTV to Comcast cable primarily to eliminate the occasional rain/snow fade problems. I'm also thinking about switching from a Colossus to a cable card. Is the DCR-2650 still the best cable card hardware choice? How has the long term functionality been since several years have passed since the last post?

I need to do more research about how the cable cards work. My understanding is that the DCR-2650 only works with Windows Media Center, but can work with SageTV using SageDCT. I assume that the WMC GUI isn't needed and everything can be done directly (program guide and recorded programs) with the SageTV GUI after configuring SageDCT.

It was mentioned in the thread that the TS format is used by the DCR-2650. Does Comskip work with the DCR-2650? Upgrading to Windows 10 might be necessary in the future. Does the DCR-2650 work with Windows 10? Could two DCR-2650's be used so that I could record 4 programs at once? The downside is doubling the purchase cost and two monthly outlet fees.
I think people would recommend a HDHomeRun and OpenDCT these days. You can have 2, works with comskip and W10.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would second the HDHR-Prime w/cable card. That'll give you 3 channels per device. And you can have 2 HDHR Primes on a box, no problem.

During the Olymipcs, I had 2 HDHR-Prime and 2 DCR-2650, giving me 10 channels to tune. Didn't notice any major problems, but again, you'll get 3 channels with the Prime vs 2 with the DCR2650. Cost efficiencies.