SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Sage Expert

Turning off EPG

Is there a way to have a timer on the EPG so that if nothing is being searched or no buttons being pressed,, it will dissappear and go back to the program being watched?

(Like the screen does when you change volume, only not so quickly)

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

if you use mlbdude's skins there is a mini guide that does disappear and otherwise you will have to use a button
Old 06-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

broderp: do you mean the full screen EPG with all the channel guide listings, or do you mean the OSD that pops up over the playback screen?

If you are on the EPG screen (or any menu, for that matter), you can assign the TV command to a button on your remote (which one are you using?) & then use that to toggle between the playback view & the last menu you used.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
if you use mlbdude's skins there is a mini guide that does disappear and otherwise you will have to use a button
I like mlbdude's mini guide, but thats about all. I don't want to clutter up my options and re-arrange the menu's when I'm still learning how to use this program. I haven't used any other features (audio or DVD or pictures or any of that stuff)

IS THERE A WAY to get JUST the mini guide??? (This should have been included with SAGE2.0 if you ask me.. Brilliant idea.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
broderp: do you mean the full screen EPG with all the channel guide listings, or do you mean the OSD that pops up over the playback screen?

If you are on the EPG screen (or any menu, for that matter), you can assign the TV command to a button on your remote (which one are you using?) & then use that to toggle between the playback view & the last menu you used.

- Andy
I have my menus set up for tranparency over the video. When I pull up the EPG with ALL the channels, it would be nice if it would time ot after say 15-20 seconds of inactivity and automatically go back to the video or tv show that was displayed behind it. My cable box did this, I'm just trying to improve the WAF (wife approval factor). I know I can press the back or return button, we are just not use to it thats all.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

request it to mlbdude
Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
request it to mlbdude
I was not aware he was accepting requests. He seems to be "the MAN" when it comes to tweaking SAGE.

I'll see.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4

- Andy
This unfortunately is not an option, as I'm using the Hauppauge remote and ALL buttons are used! I really need a software solution.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
This unfortunately is not an option, as I'm using the Hauppauge remote and ALL buttons are used! I really need a software solution.
Have you remapped the Hauppauge buttons? If I recall correctly, it used to be that the Back/Exit button was assigned to the TV command -- which is the one you want in this case. If you haven't remapped any of the buttons... are you sure you really need them defined as they are now? If there is soe button you find yourself never using, change it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
SageTVaholic

WOW I gues you just did not request it
Old 06-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Sage Expert

I'm fighting with the WAF here guys. I just got rid of our cable box after 6 years of intense use.

Obviously, the EPG guide went away on it's own after about 20 seconds.

It's obvious I can press a button (or two) and get back to the TV. It's a request to NOT have to press ANY button.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:11 AM

So where do you think the EPG should send you after 20 seconds?

BTW my digital cable EPG does not go away ever until I tell it. The OSD part does though.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

It should go back to whatever was on/ is on in the back ground ground.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 AM

So it should detect if you came from a full screen video and if you did send you back there after 20 seconds automatically. If you did not come from full screen video do nothing?

Have you tried just using the mini-guide in my STV instead?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Sage Expert

Thinking about it, making the EPG button a "TOGGLE" button would be a great help as well. Press once to turn on EPG, press a second time to turn it off. I'm not sure why it was not designed this way from the git-go.

It just doesn't make sense to press one button for on, then an obscure button to back out to the program being watched.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:11 AM

My 1.4 STV has that feature mapped to the Custom1 command. Once to go to EPG from full screen video then same command to jump back.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
Thinking about it, making the EPG button a "TOGGLE" button would be a great help as well. Press once to turn on EPG, press a second time to turn it off. I'm not sure why it was not designed this way from the git-go.
Because currently, a 2nd use of the EPG command returns the guide to the current time, useful if you've scrolled to some other time in the listings. Edit: maybe it could be changed such that if the guide is already at the current time, it returns to playback?

I know you don't want to hear about another button, but the TV command _really_ does work as a toggle between current playback & the last menu. There is your 1 button toggle solution for the time being.

Who knows... maybe your request will get implemented in the future (did you submit a request to Frey, or is this the only place you've asked for this feature?), but there are ways around it for now.

Oh -- and I now see that mlbdude has another 1 button solution for you.

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 06-05-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
So it should detect if you came from a full screen video and if you did send you back there after 20 seconds automatically. If you did not come from full screen video do nothing?

Have you tried just using the mini-guide in my STV instead?
It would work just fine if it would just time out and take you to LIVE TV, what ever station is in focus or last used. If you did not come from a full screen video, then it should take you to LIVE Tv as well. Keep in mind that most people will be looking at the guide actively to find something to watch, so thier most likely destination is LIVE TV anyways.

Of course menus such as setup SHOULD have no time out until you MANUALLY elect to exit.

The problem with the mini-guide for my wife (much more so than me) is that it's only good for one station at a time. We tend to do a lot of "time checks" which means we PAGE down fairly quickly to see whats coming on pr what else is on (we get bored quickly, either that or there just isn't much on TV these days)

I can get thru our entire cable lineup in fewer keystrokes, and much faster than one at a time.

I like (love the idea of the mini guide, but don't need or want the entire package. For my taste, please dont be offended, the displays take up too much on screen real estate. Lets not forget I'm very new to this and I'm a bit intimidated by changing a setup that works. Once I get use to the default menus, I'll more than likely WANT your enhancements. Right now I'm lucky to have figured out how to set up favorites and such.

I wish there was a true MANUAL for this program. This foru and technical people such as yourself are great, and part of the reason I decided to buy SAGE 2.0 over BEYOND TV or some other technically challenging pVR app.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:32 AM

Well, making the LiveTV guide to to full screen video all the time is probably not something I would want to put into my STV's. I actually almost never watch LiveTV and only use the EPG for finding things to record.

However, this could certainly be done. Once Studio is out I think you could do this yourself fairly easily.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to use the software a custom way. I think that is one of the big reasons Studio exists.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage Expert

You guys are great. You really try to help. I really appreciate it.

I've requested it on the forum, as well as tossed the idea to MLDude, and as embarrassing as this is, I see what you guys all mean, but the solution is still to advanced for me to grasp.

I see these solutions, but can't afford to change anything while we are learning how to use this program. What all will change if I add the 1.4 STV? A lot changes with the mini guide.

Too bad these items aren't available as separate modules. Let us install WHAT parts we want and need. Now THATS am idea! I could take the 1 button solution, and the mini guide, and hopefully not change the basic menu and program structure I'm use to.