SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage User

Micro freeze when playing bluray over NAS but not from Server FS

Never been able to stream blu ray from my readynas box to HD200 or HD300. DVDs are fine but bluray will micro freeze every few seconds (15-45secs) for no apparent reason.

From the Sage Server it plays fine no freezes.

Tried multiple connections to HD200 and HD300.

The HD200 in bedroom gets the micro freeze.

The HD300 sitting in the equipment rack, next to the server, NAS and switch gets the micro freeze.

Tested the network cable to the HD300, NAS and Server and no issues.

Thought it was the NAS... still might be but read file transfers between the NAS and the Server pushed 99Mb with a steady 10-12MB to the server disk with no issues.

Any ideas? This is killing me because I can't put all my bluray movies on the server drive (1TB vs 10TB on the NAS).

Maybe a transfer problem between the NAS and an extender? Transfers to the server seem rock solid. Maybe the HD200 / HD300 NICs don't like my 10/100/1g Netgear switch. The switch is the recommended one for the Netgear ReadyNAS unit from the netgear site.

Help!?!?! lol
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Could you just bypass the switch and direct connect the NAS to the extender to see if that resolve the issue? Anything else on the switch that might be sharing bandwidth?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikel View Post
Tested the network cable to the HD300, NAS and Server and no issues.
By "tested" you mean, I swapped out the cables for new ones don't you? If not, I'd try changing out the cables. sometimes they just go bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikel View Post
The switch is the recommended one for the Netgear ReadyNAS unit from the netgear site.
I've never liked netgear's network equipment, it's always given me issues. You might try tracking down a different switch and seeing if the problems persist. If it turns out to be the switch, it might be as simple as a firmware update.

If the extender is talking directly to the NAS, then I'd look at the switch and cabling first. If that doesn't do it, then I'd start thinking about power supplies.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage User

Tested as in buying a $500 CAT5/6 certification tester and running it against the cables to validate they are up to snuff (i.e. no failures). Can be used in my work as well so didn't just buy for this purpose.

The first bluray I ever ripped to the NAS was skyline so I thought it was a streaming problem. Copied it over to the Sage Server and changed the import path to include it and didn't have an issue. So hence the "can't stream bluray" post.

Recently I have ripped a few more bluray discs to the NAS like Fast5 and watched it with absolutely no issues...

Thought it could be a fragment problem on the NAS drive, so I cut it to the server and then pasted it back to the NAS. Since that I found the problem no longer occurs on that specific movie. Too bad the ReadyNAS doesn't have a real defrag since dumping 5-6TB over to an external drive and copying back is not realistic.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage User

Had another problem with freezing every now and then (random 5sec - 2 min times). Rewinding it would not have a problem. Running in standalone mode to the NAS did not show the problem with certain bluray disks, but running in extender mode... again using the data on the NAS it would freeze up every now and then. Checked just about everything and found my NIC in the server was running at 100MB Full duplex instead of 1GB. Changed it over to 1GB and POOF the problem went away.

Why it needs to talk to the server when pulling the files off the NAS, I have no idea but it does and when the server has a problem.... it affects everything. Funny though that my HD channels streaming off the server for PVR functionality was not showing an issue.

Just want to post this so others would check the server as well....

Try in stand alone mode to the NAS, if that is good... then it's something with the server NIC settings.

Good luck!