SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Need a WiFi Adapter for HD200

I need to move my HD200 to a location where a wired network connection is not available. Would anyone have a line on a compatible WiFi adapter? I tried a D-Link DWA-160 Rev.A2 with no luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJeff View Post
I need to move my HD200 to a location where a wired network connection is not available. Would anyone have a line on a compatible WiFi adapter? I tried a D-Link DWA-160 Rev.A2 with no luck.
Apparently the Samsung WIS09ABGN are a direct replacement of the SageTV one, bit pricey, but if you shop around you could make a good deal.

Good luck

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

I've been using one of these for the past week, so far I can't tell the difference from a wired connection. It seems perfect for a HDx00, since none of them have gigabit ethernet ports anyhow...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Apparently the Samsung WIS09ABGN are a direct replacement of the SageTV one, bit pricey, but if you shop around you could make a good deal.

Good luck
Do you know of anyone actually using this stick? I have been thinking about purchasing a WiFi solution for a long time for a stand a-lone HD300 I have setup.

I never purchased the Sage WiFi sticks because of all the issues people seemed to have with them.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I went ahead and just ordered an IOGEAR Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627. Should arrive next week so hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I went ahead and just ordered an IOGEAR Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627. Should arrive next week so hopefully that will do the trick.
Not sure why you picked this particular device, personally I would have gone with one that supports the full 300mbps wireless-n spec.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Do you know of anyone actually using this stick? I have been thinking about purchasing a WiFi solution for a long time for a stand a-lone HD300 I have setup.

I never purchased the Sage WiFi sticks because of all the issues people seemed to have with them.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone using this particular one and however I'm surprised about people having problems as it has been certified by SageTV...about myself I still prefer the wired solution, but if you're really stuck have you considered the Ethernet Over Power solution? I tried that technology years ago and very happy with it...

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Unfortunately I don't know anyone using this particular one and however I'm surprised about people having problems as it has been certified by SageTV...about myself I still prefer the wired solution, but if you're really stuck have you considered the Ethernet Over Power solution? I tried that technology years ago and very happy with it...

Eddy
Were you viewing HD or SD?
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Were you viewing HD or SD?
It was definitively HD material, I recall I had the Devolo AV200 and I was getting about 80Mbit down/60Mbit up speed, the extender was in the garage about 30Mt away from the server and I was very pleased with it...eventually I managed to get a network cable to the garage, but still that was far way better than wireless.

AFAIK, there are now solutions that even provide you a 4 port switch via EOP...

Eddy

Last edited by routerunner; 04-18-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am currently using Linksys routers/access points (Forget the model, I'll update when I'm home) at my TV's with DDWRT installed and setup as wireless bridge. I have two of them and both can be streaming HD material at the same time.

I use the Wireless N 5 GHZ band for sage and keep all my other devices on the 2.4GHZ. Had to go that way as the microwave disabled the 2.4GHZ everytime it turned on. The only problem I am having is that lately my HD300's are having a tough time picking up th server, haven't figured out if it is the HD300 or the wireless that is causing problems.

I have been setup this way for the last 6 months+ and very few issues.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

So here's an update. While the IOGear GWU627 does work it just can't provide a reliable connection for streaming video. The HD200 seems to be EXTREMELY sensitive to having a good network connection. This past weekend I picked up a couple of TRENDnet Powerline adapters (TPL-303E2K 200Mbps). Setup was a PIA on these but I now get a solid, fast connection to my network and the HD200 can stream HD with no worries. I must say I was skeptical of the whole powerline idea but it really does work.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Setup was a PIA on these but I now get a solid, fast connection to my network and the HD200 can stream HD with no worries. I must say I was skeptical of the whole powerline idea but it really does work.
Out of curiosity, what kind of a problem did you have? The Devolo just did work out of the box without problem whatsoever.

There is still the fear that the powerline is not safe and that the neighbors could potentially access you network, well it is very safe as the data are encrypted and cannot go over the main meter.

Last edited by routerunner; 06-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I made the mistake of pressing the sync button which apparently changes the network name rendering it useless. I had to use the supplied software to reset the network name. The instruction sheets talk about setting passwords, etc. which was a false lead.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I made the mistake of pressing the sync button which apparently changes the network name rendering it useless. I had to use the supplied software to reset the network name. The instruction sheets talk about setting passwords, etc. which was a false lead.
I'm glad the suggestion helped you out...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Another option is MOCA. Several years ago I bought several Motorola NIM-100 adapters on eBay and I use it to feed two of my HD-200s and I am able to stream everything, including OTA HD which is about 19 Mbps.

FYI - MOCA uses your household coaxial cable wiring for a network and it coexists with your cable signal. So wherever you have a cable TV outlet you have a network drop.

I tried PoE several years ago and I couldn't get it to maintain network speeds of 20Mbps. But I believe that was previous generation(s) and the current devices are better.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

According to the diagnostics I am getting 160Mbps out of a rated 200Mbps for the device. Since it only has a 10/100 port on it the rest is bandwidth for additional devices.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

I ended up with an Apple Airport Express (bridging this device only works if your main wireless router is also an Apple product) - just plug it into the wall outlet and run a ethernet cable to the HD200/300. HD is flawless.

You could do the same with many products from Linksys, Netgear, D-link etc. Just make sure you go Wifi-N.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

We had another nearby strike yesterday. Looks like the ethernet port on one of my HD200's went tango uniform. Looks like I'm stuck with a paperweight or wifi option and cross my fingers for HD. I have 2 300mbps wifi-n APs on-site.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, the MAC address is blank. Looks like it got the port on the switch AND opened 4 wires in the patch cable according to my lan tester. We gotta get out of this house.

Anyway, unless I missed something, I can confirm that the Trendnet TEW-664UB does NOT work with the HD200. Tried it on both of mine and neither showed it in the network settings. The WPS button wouldn't light either (assuming it has an LED behind it).

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividweb View Post
I am currently using Linksys routers/access points (Forget the model, I'll update when I'm home) at my TV's with DDWRT installed and setup as wireless bridge. I have two of them and both can be streaming HD material at the same time.

I use the Wireless N 5 GHZ band for sage and keep all my other devices on the 2.4GHZ. Had to go that way as the microwave disabled the 2.4GHZ everytime it turned on. The only problem I am having is that lately my HD300's are having a tough time picking up th server, haven't figured out if it is the HD300 or the wireless that is causing problems.

I have been setup this way for the last 6 months+ and very few issues.
Hey, I know this is an older thread, but....
What was accepting the microwave oven interference: a wireless device hooked into your HD200, or a nearby wireless router that the HD200 was hard wired to?
I am trying to trace the guilty device that my microwave is triggering.
Thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Tags
hd200, wifi