SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
It seems pretty clear that the files are being cached somewhere else for extenders (or not being cached at all... but it acts like there's a cache somewhere).
Look in the Sage.properties and clients/extenders properties files for Phoenix directories configuration it might be possible that you have to manually add/change the "caching" directory there...alternatively you can ask to the Phoenix developers...

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 05-11-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

I didn't see anything in there.

At this point, I'm pretty well convinced that the cache exists within the java heap. Caching stuff to the hard disk doesn't make any sense unless the images are being rescaled or otherwise processed.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

You are correct, and caching is only done IF scaling is done - which most of the plugins DO perform - some just scale, some scale and actually transform the images in the caching process (rounding corners, for instance) - That or in client installs, it makes sense to cache the files locally on the client instead of pulling them fro the server every time, whether scaling is performed or not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Saw the video and it is very impressive.

Will this tweak works with everything or is just oriented to using the phoenix theme? I'm using Diamond and MyMovies, will this tweak helps those plugins too?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielcab View Post
Saw the video and it is very impressive.

Will this tweak works with everything or is just oriented to using the phoenix theme? I'm using Diamond and MyMovies, will this tweak helps those plugins too?
You can cache anything you want and don't mind to loose really (it's a RAM Disk drive) and is not tied to Phoenix whatsoever, in fact, I should move this thread somewhere else. The video is not Phoenix STV, I'm using THIS plugin for my Fanart and the scripts in this thread are mainly designed for that, but can be customized to your requirements.

If you want to speed up Fanart caching, an SSD is one choice, but not the only one, RAM is cheaper these days.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

I was wondering...

...whether anyone is having good time with this? Does it work for you? Have you been using this to accelerate others part of you system? If so which one?

About me I'm very happy about it and so far no more circle of death whatsoever...

Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm getting this error:

Error creating C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\userdata:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Error creating C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\GeneratedThumbnails:

Any idea?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
As requested, please find in attachment version 3 of the FanartRamDisk script. Basically I've just commented out the part that copy the Fanart files into your RamDisk drive, the rest of the script is the same as v2. Also, despite the file size, the script is not evil at all

To summarise you need to do this:
  • Download OSFMount from here
  • Install the OSFMount with defaults, but please do not run the OSFMount as requested during the installation process.
  • Download the junction software in attachment to post #14 of this thread.
  • Install the junction software in "C:\Program Files\Junction\" as the batch assumes that directory.
  • Unzip the "FanartRamDisk v3.zip" file in attachment into your SageTV installation folder.
  • Edit the "FanartRamDisk.bat" batch file and configure your RAM Disk drive size and RAM Disk drive letter as appropriate (Default is F:\ WARNING! The RAM Disk drive will be formatted, so please make sure the assigned drive letter is not used already).
  • Run the "FanartRamDisk.bat" batch file.
  • You should have two directories in your new RAM Disk drive which will be soft-linked to their original place into your SageTV installation directory.

Please let me know how you're getting on...

Eddy
After doing this, how SageTV knows where to fetch data from the "new" cache directory?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
After doing this, how SageTV knows where to fetch data from the "new" cache directory?
It is completely transparent to sage, the Windows junctions are the equivalent of Linux soft links, so basically you're telling the OS to redirect any R/W request to those directory into the RAM disk. Once you understand how they works you can customize the script to your requirement.

Which Windows version are you using? Please bear in mind that I don't use diamond or Phoenix STV, so it might be possible that your fanart cache (not the fanart repository) is stored in a different place...

I'm currently using the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" plugin

Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It is completely transparent to sage, the Windows junctions are the equivalent of Linux soft links, so basically you're telling the OS to redirect any R/W request to those directory into the RAM disk. Once you understand how they works you can customize the script to your requirement.

Which Windows version are you using? Please bear in mind that I don't use diamond or Phoenix STV, so it might be possible that your fanart cache (not the fanart repository) is stored in a different place...

I'm currently using the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" plugin
I'm using WHS v1 and the Diamond plugin for the movies and recordings but i have "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" plugin installed so the script should work?

edit:
This lines is getting errors:
C:\Program Files\Junctions>rmdir /S /Q %SageTVDirectory%userdata
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.

Error creating c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\userdata:

Last edited by gabrielcab; 05-27-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm using WHS v1 and the Diamond plugin for the movies and recordings but i have "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" plugin installed so the script should work?

edit:
This lines is getting errors:
C:\Program Files\Junctions>rmdir /S /Q %SageTVDirectory%userdata
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.

Error creating c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\userdata:
I suspect you need double quotes in the names...Also, I recall I said this already, try "rd" command instead of "rmdir" as they are equivalent and the latter maybe not supported in WHS1...

Last edited by routerunner; 05-30-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I suspect you need double quotes in the names...Also, I recall I said this already, try "rd" command instead of "rmdir" as they are equivalent and the latter maybe not supported in WHS1...

My sagetv configuration "Diamond Plugin" seems to only create and use cache data from "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\cache" Inside this cache folder i have differents folders for all the posters of my movies and tv recordings.

I think that what i need to chache are these folders:
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\GeneratedThumbnails"
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\cache" --> with all the child directory that is inside

But I have no idea of how to write a script
Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My sagetv configuration "Diamond Plugin" seems to only create and use cache data from "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\cache" Inside this cache folder i have differents folders for all the posters of my movies and tv recordings.

I think that what i need to chache are these folders:
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\GeneratedThumbnails"
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\cache" --> with all the child directory that is inside

Just replace in the script version #3 the lines where "userdata" word is used to "cache". I suspect that Diamond will auto create the sub-folders if they doesn't exists. The "GeneratedThumbnails" is always there as is part of SageTV original installation.

EDIT:
I'm also a bit confused as you said that you're using the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" same as me which definitively uses the "userdata" directory, but Diamond uses "cache" for movies and recordings? But then what you need the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" for as your movies cache is already sorted out by Diamond, unless by movies you're not intending the "Video" menu in SageTV v7.? Please clarify as it might be possible that you need to cache both folders (userdata & cache). Also there is the possibility that the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi" is clever enough to use "cache" for everything if does exists?

Last edited by routerunner; 05-31-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I've got an idea, to cut a long story short, can you please take a snapshot of your exploded tree structure from "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV" onwards and send it to me? I'll then make a script file tailored to your situation that you only need to modify to suit your SageTV installation directory (if not standard) and RAMdisk drive letter if different from default "F:"

Eddy

Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I've got an idea, to cut a long story short, can you please take a snapshot of your exploded tree structure from "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV" onwards and send it to me? I'll then make a script file tailored to your situation that you only need to modify to suit your SageTV installation directory (if not standard) and RAMdisk drive letter if different from default "F:"

Eddy
Here
Attached Files
File Type: txt dir.txt (215.5 KB, 327 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Here
- From the tree it looks like that you successfully managed to make the junction to "userdata", was it the "rmdir" to "rd" change suggestion or the double quotes suggestion? Please confirm.
- Also it looks like that you disabled the "GeneratedThumbnails" being a junction in the script, was intentional?

Please let me know and I'll attach the new script

Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
- From the tree it looks like that you successfully managed to make the junction to "userdata", was it the "rmdir" to "rd" change suggestion or the double quotes suggestion? Please confirm.
- Also it looks like that you disabled the "GeneratedThumbnails" being a junction in the script, was intentional?

Please let me know and I'll attach the new script
I changed rmdir to rd, but i didn't did the double quotes. Do i have to put ""..."" to everything that has "..."?

For the second question I just run your batch file v3 but didn't make any change so if i made any change was not intentionally
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage Icon

re: New FanartRamdisk v4

Hi,

in attachment a new FanartRamDisk v4 which will work with Diamond as well as the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi".

ASSUMPTIONS
===========

- The destination RAM disk drive is "Y:"
- The default RAM disk size is 1024Mb
- The default RAM disk allocation unit size is 64K
- The default SageTV installation dir is "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"

Please change the above to suit your requirements.

In order to confirm that everything did work as expected, please open a DOS command prompt and "CD" to the SageTV installation directory, you should see the following directory marked as <JUNCTION>:

- cache
- userdata
- GeneratedThumbnails

Also, please bear in mind that after executing the script the "whole" current cache is deleted, so if you don't want to loose it for any reason, I suggest to make a copy somewhere of the above directories first and after running the script copy back the same directories into the RAM disk.

Enjoy!

Eddy
Attached Files
File Type: zip FanartRamDisk_v4.zip (670 Bytes, 336 views)

Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hi,

in attachment a new FanartRamDisk v4 which will work with Diamond as well as the "Phoenix Fanart for SageTV by JREkiwi".

ASSUMPTIONS
===========

- The destination RAM disk drive is "Y:"
- The default RAM disk size is 1024Mb
- The default RAM disk allocation unit size is 64K
- The default SageTV installation dir is "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV"

Please change the above to suit your requirements.

In order to confirm that everything did work as expected, please open a DOS command prompt and "CD" to the SageTV installation directory, you should see the following directory marked as <JUNCTION>:

- cache
- userdata
- GeneratedThumbnails

Also, please bear in mind that after executing the script the "whole" current cache is deleted, so if you don't want to loose it for any reason, I suggest to make a copy somewhere of the above directories first and after running the script copy back the same directories into the RAM disk.

Enjoy!

Eddy
Now i'm getting only one error at the end of the script:

Access is denied.

Everything else is ok
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Now i'm getting only one error at the end of the script:

Access is denied.

Everything else is ok
That is because the directory is being in use or SageTV service puts privileges on it. What I normally do in the morning is to run the script with the sage service off first...

Tags
cache, extender, fanart, ramdisk