SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Sage Expert

How do you get STUDIO?

what made the few who have studio special that they get to do the custom skins while the rest of us drool and beg for a few bones to be thrown our way?

Who do you have to KNOW to get a beta copy to test and start building skins for myself and others to share?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Sage User

well the few that have it now have had it for a little while and have been helping test the app all along. That's why they have it and they have been entrusted to use it.

It'll be done when it's ready.

Last edited by beyond; 06-10-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Re: How do you get STUDIO?

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
what made the few who have studio special that they get to do the custom skins while the rest of us drool and beg for a few bones to be thrown our way?

Who do you have to KNOW to get a beta copy to test and start building skins for myself and others to share?
What made mlbdude & malore (and whoever else has it) so special to allow them to beta test studio? I suspect it's because they've been using and actively supporting SageTV on the Forum for quite some time. I wish I had studio but hold no grudge for not having it. I am after all a relative SageTV newcomer.

Likely be good to know Dan & Jeff!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Sage User

well if you look, most of the people who have studio are moderators and such of this board and are actively in development of items for the application.

seriously people, just be happy with SageTv as is.. it's a great app and if you never heard of studio you would be happy anyways.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:47 PM
SageTVaholic

no we would want MVP support
and HiDef support
Old 06-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Sage Expert

yup
Old 06-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Sage Expert

Don't get me wrong, I hold no grudge towards anyone,and I LOVE the program, even with it's flaws.

I just don't understand the secretive nature of this studio program, unless SAGE is gonna drop a bomb on us all and charge an additional $50 to have it. If its a free upgrade, then who cares WHO has it?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

because its not released yet. its just like any other program thats not been released. details about it are not disclosed until they (devs/pubs) decide to do so. and they dont give an unreleased version to people for use, without docs, or support.

we all know what happened when 'unofficial mame support' was mentioned and people were told how to turn it on. it would be the same thing for studio only 150x worse.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by xlr8shun
we all know what happened when 'unofficial mame support' was mentioned and people were told how to turn it on. it would be the same thing for studio only 150x worse.
Totally speculative, but a point well made...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by xlr8shun
because its not released yet. its just like any other program thats not been released. details about it are not disclosed until they (devs/pubs) decide to do so. and they dont give an unreleased version to people for use, without docs, or support.

Then why was anyone with a licenced copy of 1.4 allowed to beta test 2.0?

Same difference.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Same difference.
I suspect they're not quite at the beta testing stage of studio, which would make it different. But if they are at that stage (and is indeed what folks who have it are doing), then you're right, it seems odd.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Same difference.
2.0 was in private beta before it went public beta though also.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

2.0 was an improvement to an existing program. People who used 1.4 were familiar enough with the software to give 2.0 a try. Nobody has used studio, therefore without documentation nobody would know how to use it, and Dan & Jeff would have to hand hold a mass of confused people.

Somebody said "If it is a free upgrade who cares who has it". Well if the program is not finished and word gets out that it has flaws, that first impression will stick with the software for some time to come. First impressions are very important in the computer business. they can haunt a piece of software or hardware for years after the initial release. Look how long it took AMD to start getting some respect. They have been making processors as good as Intel for years now. But are just recently starting to lose their reputation as being buggy and underperforming.

I'm sure that if the program were ready for public consumption, they would release it. Since it would likely mean more sales and more profits.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Administrator

I'm a studio user, though I don't get a chance to that as often as I would like. It took some time to learn how to use it, including reading several books and attending some local seminars. In fact, several local users get together regularly to discuss how to create better studio results. I even had to buy some new equipment for studio use, including some of the items for sale here. But overall, the main device I bought for attachment to my computer is this one. I find it quite essential to producing any studio work that is of high quality. (Yes, I know it isn't the only peripheral that can work, but I do like it.) If you need some links to get started, let me know!

Um... this _is_ what we are talking about, right?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I love my peripheral, and I'm already planning my next upgrade, however I don't have a studio yet.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
I love my peripheral
Hey -- that peripheral may cost less than mine, but the portion of it that is used to create those wonderful background images is exactly the same as in my peripheral! Its UI lacks a few options, making it a bit less optimal for studio use, but once it is hooked up correctly (with an add-on or two), the results are nearly the same.

Quote:
I'm already planning my next upgrade, however I don't have a studio yet.
That's a fancier upgrade than what I have, though... but usually my backgrounds don't need to be created 'handheld' or at a distance. If I could afford it, though, I would like to get this one and this one. Of course, I need to get paid more for my studio development work before they will become part of my toolkit.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I'm a studio user, though I don't get a chance to that as often as I would like. It took some time to learn how to use it, including reading several books and attending some local seminars.
Yeah but didn't you have to get A+ certified also?

-Brett
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Well the peripheral came with this accessory, and I already have this one too from my previous incompatible peripheral.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Yeah but didn't you have to get A+ certified also?
Not really -- I just brewed a frech pot of java and learned how to focus on where to stop the 'f' key (how large a hole those upgrades needed to be set to) so that my exposure to the background image was just right. Oh -- and I will never go back to analog studio work!

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 06-11-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Gota love that threadjacking.