SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Hey guys, I want to add my 2 cents.

About a month ago I set up a new Sage server (repurposing an old workstation/gaming rig to to replace an ~8 year old setup), with cablecard HDHR and all was well with the default V7 install.

Since it had been stable for a month I decided to replace the 60W idle video card with a newer one (that idles about 45W less) and to update to Java V7 for security reasons.

I did both changes this morning, following the directions in this thread.

This resulted in high def rips stuttering badly on my HD100 and 200 extenders, but everything else was fine. I chased the problem all afternoon. I finally rolled back to a system backup from July 1. Even this did not fix the problem. Troubleshooting the network found no obvious problems (no collisions registered in the managed switch, I could get 120MB/s from fast disk to fast disk, etc.).

Finally, when playing with the network more (trying the other ethernet port on this board, other switch ports) the network crapped out completely. A fresh install of the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer and everything is as it should be. I have re-upped to the latest Java (following the instructions above) and everything is working as it should. As I type this, I'm imaging the server to lock in the setup .

The point of me writing this is that I assumed my problem was Java related, but it most likely was a very odd networking problem. I'm sharing the story of how I lost 6 hours of my precious day off in the hopes of helping someone else avoid the same thing. A potential variable here is the Asus drivers for the new video card included the x64 Microsoft VC++ redistributable. The last time I put the card in, I just let Windows install the base driver.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Sage User

Lightbulb Java 7 broke Sage's regional clock setting

I've spent the past 6 hours trying to figure out why the clock in Sage was set to GMT instead of CDT. My regional and time settings in Windows were obviously already correct. All my shows were still recording properly, but shows that start at 7 PM have their starting time listed as 12 AM and even old recordings are shown with the wrong times on them. I restarted, uninstalled and updated Java again, restarted some more, upgraded Sage from 7.1.7.x to 7.1.9 with the latest update. Several Google hits on this forum were very old, with one suggestion saying that if your clock is right at this Java-based app (it was), Java should be working properly and I wrongly ruled it out as the problem. I even reinstalled a daylight saving time Windows update from 2 years ago because someone said that fixed their issue. I tried modifying the "time zone" entry on the sage.properties file with no luck.

Anyway, it wasn't until I saw this thread that tried reverting to older versions. I tried 7 update 4, same deal, then I tried Java 6 update 33 and that fixed my clock. I'll be sticking with that version for a while.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Sage User

My clock (and everything else) is fine with Java 7-5. There is a special trick to doing the recent Java updates when you're using Sage. The Java updates used to work fine if you did them with Sage running. That is apparently no longer true. You need to close Sage and turn the Sage SERVICE OFF (via SageTVServiceControl). Then do the Java update and restart the Sage Service (if used).

Also note the posts above about the Microsoft C++ runtimes. I have not had to do this but it seems that it fixes problems with Java 7 for some people.

Last edited by jmonier; 07-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
The Java updates used to work fine if you did them with Sage running. That is apparently no longer true. You need to close Sage and turn the Sage SERVICE OFF (via SageTVServiceControl). Then do the Java update and restart the Sage Service (if used).
I did it both ways. I've found that if I forget to turn the service off, then when installation is complete, I'm prompted to restart. But if I turn the service off first, no restart is necessary.

Quote:
Also note the posts above about the Microsoft C++ runtimes. I have not had to do this but it seems that it fixes problems with Java 7 for some people.
I don't know anything about this, but if it's not included in version 7, I don't really want to bother with anything else if they don't say it's required and there's no prompts saying it's necessary. I'm fine with 6/33.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Sage User

Is anyone running 7 Update 6?

I'm doing a rebuild and my choices are between 6u34 and 7u6. Any sign of the memory leak andyvr4 described with 7u4? I'm leaning towards 7u6 (with the C++ runtimes) since the new build will run Windows 8, but figured I'd ask in case someone else has already tried it.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post

I'm doing a rebuild and my choices are between 6u34 and 7u6. Any sign of the memory leak andyvr4 described with 7u4? I'm leaning towards 7u6 (with the C++ runtimes) since the new build will run Windows 8, but figured I'd ask in case someone else has already tried it.
I have 7u6 Installed on my main client both 32 bit and 64 bit no problems.

I ran into a couple of sites that I update my drivers from that required Java 7.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post
I'm running Java 7u6 without issue, but all Java 7 releases have a substantial exploit that may take a couple of months for Oracle to patch. You may want to stick with 6u34 for the time being and upgrade to 7 once the exploit is fixed.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

the question to ask is why would anyone move up to Java7. There are no advantages for you SageTV server.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
the question to ask is why would anyone move up to Java7. There are no advantages for you SageTV server.
Unless another app on the server requires a newer java. Won't be many yet but they could exist.