SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR 2

Anyone seen this?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...r2-gaming.html
Sage Server: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Core2Duo E6300 v1, 4GB, XP Pro SP2, Radeon X1550, Sage 6.6.2, 2 HD-PVR, 2 HDHR 4xOTA, Hauppauge HVR-1600 1xOTA and 2xDish ViP211 Receiver, USB-UIRT, 3x640GB WD6400AAKS, headless
Sage Client: 1xSage HD200 HD Extender
Sage Client: 2xSage STX-HD100 HD Extender
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Sage Icon

Instead of spending their money developing new HD-PVRs, maybe Hauppauge should spend the money getting the existing HD-PVRs to work reliably. Just sayin'...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Instead of spending their money developing new HD-PVRs, maybe Hauppauge should spend the money getting the existing HD-PVRs to work reliably. Just sayin'...
You have no idea how much I agree with you!!!
Sage Server: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Core2Duo E6300 v1, 4GB, XP Pro SP2, Radeon X1550, Sage 6.6.2, 2 HD-PVR, 2 HDHR 4xOTA, Hauppauge HVR-1600 1xOTA and 2xDish ViP211 Receiver, USB-UIRT, 3x640GB WD6400AAKS, headless
Sage Client: 1xSage HD200 HD Extender
Sage Client: 2xSage STX-HD100 HD Extender
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Speaking historically, the first Hauppauge WinTV PVR-PCI was, shall we say "quirky", it took a hardware redesign (the WinTV PVR 250) before they had a solid hardware-encode SD capture solution.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Speaking historically, the first Hauppauge WinTV PVR-PCI was, shall we say "quirky", it took a hardware redesign (the WinTV PVR 250) before they had a solid hardware-encode SD capture solution.
I think there were a bunch of us that thought the Colossus was that hardware redesign, from an HD-PVR perspective...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use an HDPVR (albeit with NextPVR) and I decided to record and watch "The Big Bang Theory" since I haven't yet and so far this month I have recorded 57 episodes component/ac3 with zero errors and I have never powered off my STB or the HDPVR. I have been using it for 2+ years for recording and live tv and have had no complaints. I'm looking forward to the HDPVR2 for HDMI needs plus I am hoping the 1080p offers good deinterlacing of 1080i

Martin
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

Man, watching 57 episodes of The Big Bang Theory in a month has to be some sort of record...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I haven't watched any yet because I want to watch in order! It's on so many channels, and episodes are all over the place but unfortunately I am still waiting for the first 11. I will have about 75 by the end of the month and still no luck with the schedule. Hopefully in Sept the cycle will restart on at least one channel.

Martin
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM
SageTVaholic

What is the diff between the regular and the gaming edition?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think it is features like the styling (I sure hope I can disable the light like the HDPVR), and the ability to upload to YouTube that define "gaming". I figure Hauppauge are trying to expand this market since HTPC as I know it, seems to be dying out.

Martin
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
...so far this month I have recorded 57 episodes component/ac3 with zero errors and I have never powered off my STB or the HDPVR.
Quote:
I haven't watched any yet because I want to watch in order! It's on so many channels, and episodes are all over the place but unfortunately I am still waiting for the first 11. I will have about 75 by the end of the month and still no luck with the schedule. Hopefully in Sept the cycle will restart on at least one channel.

Martin
Curious how you know you have recorded 57 episodes with zero errors if you have not watched any of them yet?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Curious how you know you have recorded 57 episodes with zero errors if you have not watched any of them yet?
Fair question. I know I won't be watching the 120 or so episodes for up to a year so I run them through a ts file continuity check program I wrote that looks for errors and it also looks at the time stamps to make sure I got 30 minutes.

Martin
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
SageTVaholic

This just seems like an external colossus with HDMI passthrough. I've been happy with my colossus since I got it almost a year ago. I can't remember the last bad recording I've had.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
This just seems like an external colossus with HDMI passthrough. I've been happy with my colossus since I got it almost a year ago. I can't remember the last bad recording I've had.
Wish I could say the same. Usually get 2 a week and happens on stations with commercials more but it still happens on premiums like HDNETM as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Fair question. I know I won't be watching the 120 or so episodes for up to a year so I run them through a ts file continuity check program I wrote that looks for errors and it also looks at the time stamps to make sure I got 30 minutes.

Martin
This sounds pretty handy. What does it check for? For example, would it pick up on the fact that my satellite signal went out that night and recorded a "searching for satellite" message with long gaps in audio and a bouncing DTV logo for an hour instead? If so, I'd love to give your program a try. Our household seems to watch programs similarly to how you do (long after they've aired), so knowing that something went wrong and needs to be rescheduled is much more useful when you know it right away.

Also, how are you triggering it to run? I suspect I can get SJQ to trigger it, but I'm curious how you're doing so.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Sage Expert

Records from HDMI (non-protected content) in addition to component and records 1080p (only in HDMI though it looks like). Original HD-PVR records only up to 1080i.

Too bad they couldn't up the max bit rate for recording, although there's probably some sharp diminishing returns past 13.5Mbps anyway.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Records from HDMI (non-protected content) in addition to component and records 1080p (only in HDMI though it looks like). Original HD-PVR records only up to 1080i.

Too bad they couldn't up the max bit rate for recording, although there's probably some sharp diminishing returns past 13.5Mbps anyway.
I would think that since most video streams aren't any higher than 16mbps (IIRC) then that wouldn't help to have a higher recording bitrate. I found an article saying it could be all the way down to 10mbps. I'm speaking of directv and dish. I'm sure (hope) verizon has a higher bit rate with cable being one of the lowest.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
This sounds pretty handy. What does it check for? For example, would it pick up on the fact that my satellite signal went out that night and recorded a "searching for satellite" message with long gaps in audio and a bouncing DTV logo for an hour instead? If so, I'd love to give your program a try. Our household seems to watch programs similarly to how you do (long after they've aired), so knowing that something went wrong and needs to be rescheduled is much more useful when you know it right away.
It simply scans a ts file for continuity errors, however it really isn't something I'd release at least at this state, I guess if you are interested I could clean it up, just let me know.

Quote:
Also, how are you triggering it to run? I suspect I can get SJQ to trigger it, but I'm curious how you're doing so.
I actually don't use SageTV, it runs in the NextPVR PostProcess.bat file that runs on conclusion.

Martin
Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
The original had that same spec, but apps like NextPVR and SageTV can set it higher. I think I have VBR up to 16 Mbs, after that I didn't notice any real difference.

Martin
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I would think that since most video streams aren't any higher than 16mbps (IIRC) then that wouldn't help to have a higher recording bitrate. I found an article saying it could be all the way down to 10mbps. I'm speaking of directv and dish. I'm sure (hope) verizon has a higher bit rate with cable being one of the lowest.
That's the bitrate of the source, and with a pristine source (like Dish or the cablecos get) you can pretty easily encode that low. Problem is by the time it gets to us, we have to contend with the compression artifacts created by their encoding, which makes the bitrate requirements higher for us than for them, and our encoders are generally not as good as theirs so that makes it worse too.