SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Sage User

PlayOn and Gemstone

Hi,

I am getting some weird errors when using PlayOn with Gemstone (although didn't try it on any other sage installations, just with Gemstone).

Here is my problem, on my server (which I run in service mode), although I test any plugins I will be using, on my Server-Client UI before I take the dive on my PC clients.

Now I got PlayOn to show on my main menus and it will even populate a video list when I tell it to browse but when I try to play the video, it gives me a Error (-2) It can't play the file as it no longer exists on the hard disc. The popup window which displays the error also shows me some weird path (in my user folder) of where the temp file is supposed to reside. Now this happens ONLY on my PC Client. The Client UI on my Server (also where my PlayOn server resides) is able to play the videos I select.

I have PlayOn server installed ONLY on my server, with the plugin installed on the server and PC Client. Both server and pc client have gemstone installed.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by giacinto41; 10-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Sage User

Nobody experiancing this??

Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Sage Expert

Aside from the original problem of nothing showing, it's been working perfectly for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage Icon

Haven't seen this either.

J
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Sage User

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply. Something tells me this is some little configuration issue I am not seeing, as it works and plays on my server. The problem comes when I try to play a video on PlayOn but through my PC client (which is NOT my server). Essentially the error I am getting suggests that once the buffering is completed it cant find the temporary file it creates??

Can anyone comment on this??

Also does the PlayOn server need to be installed on EVERY PC that has the plugin installed or is ONE PC on the network enough (i.e. Server).

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

The Playon server only needs to be on one machine. I have mine on the same box as my Sagetv Server and my Client's connect fine from two different locations.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Sage User

Is there a PlayOn client I need to install?? As it is now I only have the plugin installed on my client machine.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage Expert

No Playon client. I have the plugin installed on both server and client. Don't know if it's necessary, but I've always had it setup that way.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Sage User

Hey SamGreco,

Tks for the response. I too am setup this way. Weird. What can i provide that would help me solve this problem?? Logs, pic of error, etc??

jorton, do you think this has something to do with gemstone or more likely with PlayOn or its config??

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage Icon

We don't really touch anything to do with playback of media so I don't think it is that. Although we did have a path issue originally when we switched from a STVI to a STV based install but that is all worked out now.

If you uninstall Gemstone and load the default Sagetv7.xml file with the Standard theme does the Playon playback work?

I would be tempted to do a fresh install on the client and then get Playon working on vanilla 7.1.9 Sagetv7 Client install with all STV updates applied. Then once you know Playon is working install Gemstone and make the Menu Manager changes to get the Playon menu showing and test again.

I reinstall my clients all the time for testing and it doesn't take that long to do.

J

Last edited by jorton; 10-03-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Sage User

I'm having no problem with Netflix to show menus and to play any video selected, with Gemstone. In fact, it seems a quicker experience than with Diamond. Have you tried stopping the Playon server and restarting it? I find I need to do that when I use other devices that are used in our house to play Netflix.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had issues with Netflix previously and reached out to PlayOn for support. Check this thread for how I resolved it. Not sure if it will fix your issue but it may help.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=377
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Sage Expert

I agree with jorton. A fresh install will at least tell you if it works "as designed."

Although, there were a few posts like this in the original Playon thread and some suggested Playon plugins as an issue on the Playon forum. But ultimately, this person solved it by uninstalling Playon and then reinstalling.

So maybe try the Playon uninstall/reinstall first.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Sage User

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I was gonna try seeing if PlayOn works through the default SageTV theme tonight. At the same time I'll try everyones suggestions.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Sage User

All this talk about PlayOn finally go me to install the 14 day trial. It seems to work perfectly for me under Gemstone (BTW to Jusjoken, I lowered the Heapsize to 1024 and Gemstone has been flawless).

My only question if anyone can answer is how to make PlayOn more accessible. Right now it is buried under More Online Services/page down a screen, then find it in a list of other items.

If there is a way to move it to the root menu, or a link somewhere on doing that, it would be appreciated. In looking at EPs original Playon thread, I had thought it would just show in the root by default. I am unsure how to do this.

Mike
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

Use the Menu Manager (from options on the main menu) and then Copy Mode to get the menu item from the old menu and copy to the custom Gemstone menu where you want it.

J
Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Sage User

Perfect, thank you!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Sage User

Sorry, but I was a bit hasty to report all is well with Gemstone and Playon plugin. The US Instant cue works fine but a visit to the other folders last night came up with the display "empty." I'm waiting for a reply from Playon, however. The empty folders also are appearing on the Playon plugin on my other device, besides SageTV.

Playon has been making frequent software updates lately that are installed automatically so it's hard to identify the culprit.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Sage Expert

Funny, I just updated Playon and now I can't get to the instant queue off of the main Playon> Netflix> Netflix Queue menu item. If I go into Netflix, I can get in that way. So I think the last update to Playon did something.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Sage Icon

Sorry cant help with this, no queue in Canadian Netflix, so it's never worked for me.