SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

View Poll Results: If Frey decided to charge a small monthly EPG fee, would you pay it?
Yes, I'd stay with SageTV 25 24.27%
No, I'd bale and find the cheapest thing out there! 78 75.73%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Sage Expert

It seems to me that most of the people saying 'No' to the fee live in the US. Us poor souls in the UK and elsewhere have to rely on things like XML downloads which, until recently, were a little flakey to say the least.

I like the idea of having something like 'SageUltra', with which you could get listings provided at an extra cost to the end user.
For me, and I'm sure I speak for lots of us in the UK, I would like Sage to be responsible for getting the program guide as opposed to relying on external XML downloaders. The more integrated the better!

If a monthly fee was required, I think that I would be willing to pay up to about 4/5 pounds.

My 2p
Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Sage Icon

I am about to purchase Sage as soon as their bundle with Plextor arrives Nov 04 to the online store. In theory, I don't have a problem with a very small monthly fee, but that is a very slippery slope, especially if Frey was bought out by MSNBC (just an example). I already pay for a monthly cable service. VCRplus came with my vcr, and to my knowledge, I am not charged for using VCRPlus. Why should this be any different with Sage? In very simplistic terms, Sage is a VCR for the PC, right?

I voted no. I would only change my vote if they wrote something legal that the monthly fee would never exceed $5 US.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

I voted yes, but it's a conditional yes. If I'm getting charged for EPG listings, I want ALL the listings (PPV in particular). It's all or nothing in my opinion.

-PGPfan
Old 10-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
I voted yes, but it's a conditional yes. If I'm getting charged for EPG listings, I want ALL the listings (PPV in particular). It's all or nothing in my opinion.

-PGPfan
How about no fee for Standard EPG and small fee for users wanting PPV ...

T.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

no way not paying for any of it
how about a way to use XMLTV for Pay PER View and still use the EPG
Old 10-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

yea..i shure miss my ppv listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
no way not paying for any of it
how about a way to use XMLTV for Pay PER View and still use the EPG

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 AM
Sage User

Goes Against the purpose

I am sure many people on here want to be as free in life as possible, have the least strings as possible. I did not get Tivo due to the annoyance of paying a monthly or yearly fee. To me, recurring bills are an annoyance and I just do not want one more.

I like Sage very much and want hope to stay with Sage but I do not like the idea of monthly fees and would look for something else if they came about. One of my computers is a Sony and it apparently has a free listing service with the gigapocket service. I heard that MCE 2005 has a free service... I have not verified either and do not plan to as long as Sage remains fee free.

I understand the need to make money, what I suggest is a flat (household) fee for sage, and multiple sage clients with free lifetime upgrades for a higher price and a lower pricing point to get people into Sage, lets say with one year free EPG.

As for monthly or yearly fees, no, they may seem like the answer, but they are not going to do what you hope for. Circuit city's Divx failed, the idea of licensing music for short term use has failed or will fail... People want to pay once not pay over and over.. come on, thats what taxes are for. No one would be very happy with an EPG tax.

Just charge more out of the gate if you need.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Everyone does understand that this poll was started by a SageTV user, not Frey Technologies asking what their customers thought of the idea, right?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Sage User

Upon further research...

It concerns me that after owning Sagetv for only a month or so they are considering now charging a fee (see change on main page of sage.tv)

When I purchased sagetv It boasted it had a free EPG. It still says free on pcalchemy.com website and on sage's official partner website:
http://www.xmediazone.com/products/xmzcomp_00.php

It compares sagetv to its competitors and also says no monthly fees.

If after owning it for only a month or so they change and start charging for a epg, I would be very upset.

Is the possible monthly fee only if you upgrade to 2.1? Not if you stay with 2.0?

Use to have a really great feeling about sage, told all my friends about it, was planning on building pvrs with sage for Christmas presents... rethinking my loyalty now that they are rethinking theirs.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishattorney
Upon further research...

It concerns me that after owning Sagetv for only a month or so they are considering now charging a fee (see change on main page of sage.tv)
I see nothing on their main page (or any other that I looked at) about ever charging a fee for the EPG. I have no clue as to what you are talking about.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wow.. This reminds me of the deal where you have to pass on a piece of info from person to person and at the end it is completely the wrong piece of info..

Look at the first post. It was a user asking what everyone thought. NOT Frey saying they were going to do it.

Nobody wants to pay for the EPG. Haven't seen anywhere that Frey said we would have to.

See ya, Randy
Old 11-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Sage Icon

I think maybe the first post needs some editing for both the subject and content explaining how Frey has in no way indicated any intention of charging for listings and that this is a poll created by a user out of curiosity. I actually never saw the point in this whole thread.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

It would not bother me at all if the thread was deleted. I see it pop up every few weeks, and new people are constantly assuming it is something that is being considered.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFranch
It would not bother me at all if the thread was deleted. I see it pop up every few weeks, and new people are constantly assuming it is something that is being considered.

I agree.. It should just be deleted...

Randy
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Everyone does understand that this poll was started by a SageTV user, not Frey Technologies asking what their customers thought of the idea, right?

- Andy
Apparently not. Pay attention people.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Also see my other previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
This is a bit of an old thread, so here's a reminder: this was probably pointed out somewhere in this thread already, but I don't feel like reading this old thread to quote anyone...

Frey dropped the EPG fee a long time ago. There is a file called "EULAclient.txt" in your SageTV directory. Part of section 9 says:
Quote:
9. ... Currently, Frey provides electronic programming guide service (the "EPG Service") to End Users at no charge. End User acknowledges that Frey reserves the right to discontinue provision of the EPG Services and to separately charge End Users for provision of the EPG Service.
I've been told that what this means is: Frey has no plans to charge for the EPG, but they are not going to promise that it can never change, for legal reasons.

While there are no absolute guarantees in life, I don't think there is much to worry about here.
- Andy, reconsidering whether this thread serves any purpose
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Closed Thread