SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
... 2) What kind of processor/RAM hog is Plex when it's sitting idle and when it's streaming to a remote device? My Sage server (specs in sig below) is running SageTV service, PlayOn, YAC, Google Play Music server, and Splashtop already (though Splashtop is mainly for streaming reasons and I could uninstall that if Plex works). Concerns?

TIA.
The only issue I had with PLEX on my server (slow AMD (640?) quad, 2G ram) was that it put ALL the meta data in the "user data" area, which is normally on the system drive, which on my system had only about 2G free. Last time I looked, then they added a "hack" to move that data anywhere. I'm not sure if they've added it as a true feature yet or not. (with SSDs being a great system drive, more and more people need/want this feature)
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I have been using plex for a couple of months now. I use the desktop client in the living room and roku's in the bedroom. I use roku xs hardwired so I can set the bitrate limit to the highest (20). My server is an ivy bridge core i5 with 8gb of ram. I have no issues streaming to the roku's or any portable devices (iphone,ipads and kindles). The roku's stream dvd's without transcoding and most blurays are transcoded without any issues.

Anyways just thought I would chime in. I am currently working on a replacement UI for roku/plex client as the default roku ui is terrible at best. Plex to me is the most flexible option out there. I recently wrote a script and converted all my native dvd/video_ts rips and native bluray rips to MKV format. Willing to share my script if anyone needs help in that area. I highly highly recommend plex.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I have been using plex for a couple of months now. I use the desktop client in the living room and roku's in the bedroom. I use roku xs hardwired so I can set the bitrate limit to the highest (20). My server is an ivy bridge core i5 with 8gb of ram. I have no issues streaming to the roku's or any portable devices (iphone,ipads and kindles). The roku's stream dvd's without transcoding and most blurays are transcoded without any issues.
Will it stream blu-ray and DVD folder structures? I haven't gotten that far yet to try...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
Will it stream blu-ray and DVD folder structures? I haven't gotten that far yet to try...
No Hence why I wrote a script to convert to MKV's I simply use MakeMKV in my script and don't do any compression or changing of the files.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Sage User

Will the Plex android app wake a plex server?

SageTV7, Windows 7, Comcast, HDHR Prime(SageDCT), HD300
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz06 View Post
Will the Plex android app wake a plex server?
My guess is stock.. no.. But I imagine a plugin could be written?? Someone else will have to chime in..

Jim
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I use Qloud....to me, it comes closest to Air Video on the Android (simple/easy access to streaming over WiFi and Internet).
I too find AirVideo simple and quick. Qloud is similar, I.e. you don't need to be a programmer? lol
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson