SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Sage User

PVR-250 drivers won't install!!?!?

I just got my SageTV2.0 bundle with PVR-250, and I can't get the drivers to install.
First of all, the installation CD from Frey was BLANK!! So I went to Hauppauge's site and grabbed the latest drivers, but I can't get them installed.
Windows recognizes that there is new hardware, but when I try to install the drivers for it, it says it can't find the software.
I have a PIII 866 w/256MB RAM, WinXP Pro
I also ran the uninstall utility from Hauppauge to make sure there were no dll conflicts on my system... everything checked out fine.
I have also tried older driver versions with the same result.

Can anyone help?
thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

look at the FAQ
I wrote a nice article on how to do this

it is just easier than retyping it all to you in this post

if that does not work post again
Old 06-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Administrator

If this is a recent bundle from Frey, isn't that a Roslyn instead of the 'regular' 250 & thus can't use the drivers from the Hauppauge site? I think a few others had CDs that appeared blank. So... I think Funky_K needs to download the appropriate drivers someplace around here or at SHS's site.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Sage User

Thanks opus... I got the drivers installed

.... now if I could only get video
Old 06-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Funky_K
Thanks opus... I got the drivers installed
you mean kny3twalker, don't you? He's the one who wrote those intructions.

Quote:
.... now if I could only get video
If you provide more details of what is happening, maybe someone can offer suggestions...

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:17 PM
SageTVaholic

you need to install either the hauppauge decoder or a DVD program like WinDVD, powerDVD, cineplayer

for the best picture quality of the box look at the sonic DVD decoder pack
same as cineplayer but no application (you would be using Sage instead)
and it is only 15 dollars
the next cheapest option is use the hauppauge decoder but it is limited and not the best quality of picture or sound just so you know

http://www.cineplayer.com/decoder/default.htm?from=

you really do not need the mp3 stuff

and

http://www.cineplayer.com/cineplayer...ault.asp?from=

this one has more sound options but it 50 dollars

feel free to look at others
Old 06-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Sage User

I have NVDVD installed.... will that work work?
I have tried various combinations of renderers/sources/etc.

I should be using the AUX source if I have satellite coax from the STB plugged in... not TV Tuner... right?

I have tried default, overlay and VMR9 for the video renderer setting... but I think with my AIW8500DV I should have it on overlay... right?

My options for MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter are default, NVIDIA, and RAVISENT Cinemaster DS... I have tried all 3.

Thanks again... I appreciate the help
Old 06-19-2004, 12:33 AM
SageTVaholic

yeah if you have those three decoders available you should be find in the decoder setup
it probably is the source issue
and the 8500 should be able to do any rendering
maybe choppy with an 8500 when using VMR9 though

goto setup menu
then choose setup wizard

then choose add new source

then tv tuner

use external cable or DSS(satellite) box

then you want to use a constant channel (sorry did not go all the way through the setup wizard because it would erase my old setting)

the constant channel is usually like 3 or 4
so set the cable/DSS box to either 3 or 4 (usually on the back of the box like you had to do probably in the past with a VCR)

also I found that if you do not have a tuning device like it asks
hit the back arrow and it will give the option for to configure sage without it doing the tuning

you will need something once you get it working though to change the channels for recording when you are not there to do it(an ir blaster)

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-19-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Sage User

still nothing.... just a blank screen with no sound

i do have a usb-uirt installed
Old 06-19-2004, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

try hitting the DSS(cable)/TV button (thats what it is on my DirecTV remote) probably cable/TV on your remote or TV/ Video

use the cable box remote

do you have analog cable as well
that will normally would be used if the cable box was not on

also any errors?
Old 06-20-2004, 03:29 AM

I've been watching this thread for a while and...I just have this nagging suspicion that this is all going to end up back at the drivers. You said you got the drivers installed, were these the PVR250 or Roslyn drivers? Anything bought from Frey, within a month or so should be a Roslyn not a PVR250. If you do have a PVR250 then you should try Hauppauge's WinTV2000 and test for signal that way. WinTV2000 only works with PVR250 variants. I just keep thinking that you've somehow gotten the wrong drivers to install. Where exactly did you get these drivers, can you link to the page/post? Also if you are unsure as to whether your card is a Roslyn or a PVR250 variant, could you provide us the 5 digit # shown on the card's tuner? Also have you contacted Frey with an official support request.

I'm also curious to find out the results from kny3twalker's suggestion to use a analog cable/OTA source? You should at lease get static if you setup your PVR card to use the tuner input source. Also I didn't see you mention if you tried playing any Sage recorded MPGs in WMP or one of you DVD apps. This would allow us to know what is being written to these files by SageTV. With this info we'd know whether it's an issue of recording(drivers,Sage,wiring,etc) or an issue of playback with Sage.

Besides the drivers it seems like only a bad card, miss-wired connection(usually static not black screen) from STB to PVR card, or corrupted Wiz/properties(these two often make the entire Sage UI black not just attempts to watch/record TV) file has ever caused people to get just a black screen.

Sorry to show up out of nowhere and throw in a bunch of things. But I'm not sure that we've got all the info we should to know which area to work on. So I thought I'd mention some of the basic questions that are asked when issues occur.

PS:I probably won't get back to this site this weekend. Hopefully something I said will allow kny3twalker, Opus4, or someone else to solve your problem. Best of luck.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Where exactly did you get these drivers, can you link to the page/post?
I got them from SHS's site: http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4947
OEM Roslyn drivers 2.98.22124
I must have a Roslyn, because Hauppauge's drivers wouldn't install.
Quote:
Also I didn't see you mention if you tried playing any Sage recorded MPGs in WMP or one of you DVD apps.
I tried this last night with both AUX and TV Tuner Channel 3 sources. The recordings appear to be 0KB in size and won't play in WMP.
Quote:
could you provide us the 5 digit # shown on the card's tuner?
SN 6812783
Part ID 6002635

Not sure if those are the numbers you're interested in... after I get back from Father's Day stuff (Happy Father's Day!) I will try the WinTV2000 app and the OTA source, and check for numbers on the card itself.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:05 AM

WinTV2000 will not run on Roslyn base board Funky_K
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

OK start over clean

uninstall sageTV and then delete the program folder of frey's tech

then uninstall java

then uninstall the drivers for the roslyn(also you said pvr250 bundle not roslyn bundle, they are different cards)

not even sure if the hcw.clear.exe will do anything but give it a shot to uninstall the hauppauge drivers for the roslyn

then try using the 2.96 drivers from SHS' ftp site

ftp://www.shspvr.com

and look in the media center folder for the roslyn drivers 2.96

and install them after rebooting

then get the new java runtime for windows

then after installing install sage and reset it up

what do you mean by AUX?????????????????????????

are you using RCA inputs, RCA audio with Svideo, or Cable jack on the card from the cable box?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker

are you using RCA inputs, RCA audio with Svideo, or Cable jack on the card from the cable box?
kny3twalker: He's got another thread (blank screen... no audio) asking for help on the lack of video/sound. I suggested to double-check the conenctions to the card & verify that the correct Input Source is selected in SageTV. Of course, that would only be important if the drivers are already installed & working correctly... not sure how to test that on the Roslyn cards if WinTV2000 doesn't run on them.

- Andy
Old 06-20-2004, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I saw his other thread yesterday
I guess he thinks he is getting no help in this forum so try another

a way to test would be by using BeyondTV or sagerecorder

I am sorry to say it but I would use Beyond just because it has a channel scanner like winTV does and that could shed some light

I am betting this an input problem but I told to use the older drivers that did not support multiple cards, see if that make any difference

AUX???? still what the heck is that
sounds like an input on my sound card that I do not use(you know one of those on the board not on the back)

the card only has three inputs cable, RCA, and Svideo with RCA audio
Old 06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I guess he thinks he is getting no help in this forum so try another
sorry about the double post... i certainly do appreciate the help i am getting very much... just frustration i guess
Quote:
then try using the 2.96 drivers from SHS' ftp site
shs's site has these: 88x_oem_roslyn_2.98.22124_non-whql.zip
and there is another file: mce_2.96.22090.exe

do i install the 2.98 drivers and then run the mce_2.96 file to revert back to 2.96?
Quote:
I am using the cable jack input on the card (the TV one, not the FM one ). When going through the SageTV setup wizard, it asks which source I am using and gives AUX as one of the options... along with Svideo1, Svideo2, TV tuner, and some others.... I just uninstalled it so I'm not sure of all the others.
Note: If I plug into my AIW8500DV everything works fine using the ATI TV app.

Thanks again
Old 06-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Administrator

You are using a coax cable to the card or what? Does your box have svideo out instead? You may have been choosing the wrong Input Source in SageTV for the connection you are using.

Is there a list someplace for which Roslyn inputs correspond to which input sources in SageTV?

- Andy
Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
You are using a coax cable to the card or what? Does your box have svideo out instead? You may have been choosing the wrong Input Source in SageTV for the connection you are using.
Yes... RG6 coax cable from the "TV out" of my satellite STB to the "TV in" of the Roslyn card.
The STB does have SVideo out as well, which is going directly to the TV.
There is no question that the coax cable is transmitting the signal, because it works when plugged into the AIW8500DV.

I would like to follow kny3twalker's instructions, but not sure about the 2.96 Roslyn drivers. Does anyone have a link to them... or do I install them like I suggested in my previous post.

Again... thanks for the help!
Old 06-20-2004, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah you will not need to uninstall the drivers you are using now (2.98) and install the 2.96 (they are WHQL certified thats why they are MCE) and if you are connecting the cable coxial you need to choose the option when setting up as tv tuner not AUX

I do not get that with either of my cards and I have a pvr250 MCE(look the same as a roslyn but not one)

so you choose TV tuner
cause that is the input you are using then
you can configure it for the cable box or analog cable

just a couple things if you set it up for digital cable from the cable box none or your recording will be in stereo only mono
to get stereo you will need to use either RCA or Svideo with RCA audio

second if you connect the roslyn for digital cable you can change the channel when watching something on TV if it is recording with the roslyn or you will not get the entire recording (only what has been recorded before you change the channel)

it does sound like you are going to use digital cable though cause you got an USB-UIRT, so just remember those two things

it correct the mono sound recordings you can hook up the roslyn via another output from the cable box other than coxial(cable)

mine has two sets of RCAs and one svideo and one cable(coxial) ouput
but it still has only one tuner in the box

you probably do not need to install the WHQL drivers but can if you want

BUT most importantly use TV tuner as input source and configure it from there

This is for advanced user below so only do this after you have it running and if you have any questions please post

also you can set up the roslyn for two sources and get options out of the deal

first you need to connect to the roslyn with both coxial and either RCA or svideo

then configure the first coxial input as TV tuner and the RCA/svideo input as well either svideo or RCA

the TV tuner you will configure for analog cable and the RCA/svideo you will configure for digital cable

this way if you are recording something from analog cable you can still change channels with cable box to watch something else from

you will lose a little quality recording somethings from analog rather digital but not much

and then you will only be forced to watch liveTV that is being recording when it is something from digital cable

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-20-2004 at 05:31 PM.