SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

oh found you the drivers you were looking for
but the exe should work fine you do not need the folder or driver part files to install
you should be able to just run the .exe file

http://www.snapstream.com/Support/Do...2_96_22090.zip

read the previous post as well

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-20-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Sage User

OK... I'm about ready to pull my hair out (what's left of it), and my wife is about ready to shoot me for spending so much time on this... and getting nowhere.

Here is the latest:

I followed kny3twalker's instructions to the letter... uninstalled everything, and reinstalled using the 2.96 roslyn drivers... set the source to TV tuner. I still got the same thing... whenever I go into live TV, I get nothing but black screen and no sound. This is with the coax cable from my STB plugged into the "TV in" on the roslyn card. I know the coax cable is transmitting TV because it works fine when plugged directly into the TV or into the AIW8500DV.
I decided to try using SVideo as my source. So I plugged in the SVideo and RCA audio jacks into the corresponding inputs on the roslyn card. I know these cables are transmitting signals because I unplugged them from the TV, where they were working perfectly. Now in SageTV, with the source set to SVideo, any time I try to go into live TV the computer locks up for about 30 seconds and reboots!!! I tried this both with and without the coax cable plugged in. The same thing happens if I try to edit the channel list during setup. The instant I click "preview" the computer locks up and reboots.
So I cleaned out the 2.96 drivers and installed the 2.98 drivers to see if I would still get the crash with SVideo source. Sure enough, the same thing happens... and same black screen with no sound using the coax TV tuner source.

Remember, my installation CD from Sage was blank. Was there supposed to be something on the CD different from what I have tried? I noticed in the installation guide that comes with the bundle, that the CD has "MPEG software decoders" on it that need to be installed. I have this covered with the NVDVD software, right?

I'm starting to think that I might have a bad card... and will certainly try to get in touch with Frey's tech support when they open tomorrow (today... it's late) to see what they suggest.

One semi-success to report... I was able to get the USB-UIRT to blast digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8 to my STB!!! Woohoo!! (Don't know what the deal is with digits 0 and 9... but I'll worry about that later.)

Thank you very much kny3twalker, Opus4, and justme for your responses. You have been a tremendous help. I have learned a lot over the past 2 days, and feel like I can intelligently discuss my problem with Frey.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for me.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:44 AM
SageTVaholic

oh I found the download for frey installation of the card but do not worry about it, it sounds as if the card is DOA

http://download.sage.tv/BlackbirdBun...ndDecoders.zip
Edit one last idea

is your card being ignored in the property file

use notepad to open the property file in the sage folder and see if the card is being ignored in one of the line

ignored_encoders=roslyn capture(or whatever the name is for your card)

but thats it

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-21-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:21 AM

Yeah it does seem like a DOA. You're correct in your assumption that the NVDVD codec has you covered as far as Video decoding. But you aren't even gettinng to the stage of recording a file so that's a non issue with your problem.

As long as you did as kny3twalker suggested. Unistalling SageTV and deleting the dir. Making sure you Java is up to date and you only have one version installed. Then reinstalled Sage and used the tuner input as your source you should get a picture. Your testing the Coax with your ATI was a good idea to eliminate the Coax as an issue. I doubt that you'll find the card on the ignore line, as you shouldn't have even been able to setup a source if Sage couldn't see the card.

Definitely let Support know about all you've tried and maybe even give a URL to this thread as well.

Edit:Just to be safe you did remove and re-install(newest version) your Java VM. Making sure only one version existed. I forget whether, that was mentioned or not and at this point I figure mentioning it again can't hurt.

/justme

Last edited by justme; 06-21-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Sage User

Just for the record (and for the Frey support tech who will surely be reading this):

The drivers in the Frey installation .zip file that kny3twalker provided are version 2.99.22145. These are different from the drivers I have been trying, so I cleaned everything out again, and started fresh, using the new drivers and the MPEG software decoder provided by Frey.

I don't get the SVideo crash like I did with the 2.96 and 2.98 drivers, but I still get black screen with no sound when I go into live TV with either the coax TV tuner input or the SVideo input.

EDIT: Amazing that I can get such quick responses at 2:30AM... you guys are great!

Quote:
is your card being ignored in the property file
no mention of ignored_encoders in the property file
Quote:
you did remove and re-install(newest version) your Java VM
yes... I completely removed Java and allowed the SageTV installer to re-install the latest version (Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_04)

Last edited by Funky_K; 06-21-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just out of curiosity, did you enable the debugging console? I'd be interested to see if there is anything in there that could help you.

Quote:
Troubleshooting FAQs
Is there a debugging console for SageTV?
The console can be used to troubleshoot problems. You can do this by creating a new DWORD value in the registry. Go to start, run and type in regedit. Here's the path: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Frey Technologies\Common. Right click on the Common folder and select New – DWORD Value. Name it "consolewin" without the quotes and hit enter. Now double click on consolewin and change the value from 0 to 1. This will open up a DOS window for debugging when you start SageTV.
Be aware that when you close Sage the console goes with it, so if there is any information displayed that you want to keep, you'll need to copy/paste it out of there beforehand.

Regards,

Beau
Old 06-21-2004, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

you need to contact Frey ASAP and give a link to this topic
get a new card
Old 06-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
you need to contact Frey ASAP and give a link to this topic
get a new card
I sent them an email last night... no word yet. Don't they have a tech support phone number?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Sage User

I must say that I am very disappointed with the support I have received from Frey.
After over a week of email tag (it takes about 48 hours to get an email response from Frey tech support) and trying different things to get the card working, it seems as though Frey is trying to wash their hands clean of this problem. They told me I need to contact Hauppauge to see about a replacement card.

Shouldn't Frey be responsible for a replacement card? Now I am afraid I will have to go through this entire process again with Hauppauge.... and might not get a working card for several weeks.