SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Tweaks & Tips For A Newbie Please HELP!

Ok,

I installed my sagetv lastnight, but I know I have a bunch of tweaks and tips to do, to get everything just right.

Here are some of my questions so far.

***while Im watching tv on the tv, my pc's screensaver comes on etc...should I shut it off?? ...anything other tips on that??

***How do I confugure my streamzap remote for the bottom colored buttons, I know its under the setting in the system tray, but I wan't it like sage recommends, but after the first one, you have to go to browse, and then navigate to a certain file, but after I go into C/ProgramFiles/Frey Tech../SageTV/SageTV.exe---

it then wants me to go to event 29, or 24 etc... but how do I find that??

Thats enough for now.

Thanks cc
Old 06-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

If you have Sage configured to use its own built-in screensaver you probably do not need to use the one in Windows (as long as you leave SageTV running full screen that is).

I'd recommend turning off the Windows screensaver and all power management (those cause all kinds of weird problems)..

One thing I did do (for when viewing Sage on my computer monitor instead of out to a TV) is to turn all that stuff off except for the power managment for the monitor. The Sage screensaver (default) kicks in at 20 minutes and I set the monitor to turn off at 32 minutes. That way it will turn of the monitor if I just walk off.

As for the StreamZap remote settings, just click your mouse at the end of the line you browsed to for the Sage software in the StreamZap setup and then manually type in the extra " -event X" part. Be sure to leave a space between the .exe and -event and also a space between that and whatever event number you want to use.

You can find other event numbers listed in the faq section (I think).

Personallly I don't like the StreamZap... too big, bulky and awkward compared to the original much smaller (and in my opinion far mor usefull) remote that comes with the Hauppauge PVR-250 or USB2. Unfortunately (for whatever insane reason) Frey has decided to drop selling those and now sell the Blackbird and StreamZap remote combo instead.

You can find more info about how others are using girder to add many more funtions to various remotes elsewhere in the forum.

Hope that helps ya out a little bit getting started.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:22 PM

Here's the direct link. And here's the link to my FAQ post. I was feeling generious today.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Not to get into a remote argument, but I hated the original black remote, nowhere near enough buttons to be useful, and the Hauppuag IR sw is crap IMO (streamzap's isn't much better). But when you combine the Streamzap with Girder, it works great (still not quite enough buttons IMO). Anyhoo, if you want to reconfigure the Streamzap (or just set up the default behavior) there's a guide linked in my sig.

I don't know why Frey chose to switch to Roslyns, but I suspect it is due to users requesting a cheaper card.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Administrator

The silver Hauppauge remote, which is what comes with their cards now (well, at least the ones that come with a remote), has more buttons than the older black remote. BUT, at 34 buttons, it still doesn't really have enough.

The Hauppauge remote software is getting a bit better... still nowhere near as powerful as Girder, but there will be a few improvements. The biggest issue, I think, is the inability to send commands to windows other than the one with focus. That will be taken care of regarding sending messages, but I think keys still have that limitation.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

Interesting to note that yes the silver Hauppauge remote had only 34 buttons. At the same time the StreamZap has 35 (one more), yet it has less direct functionallity in SageTV (even with the macro keys) than the Hauppauge remote.

Not sure why you guys need more keys or bigger remotes. I like the SMALL handy size and ease of use of the Hauppauge compared to the big clumsy, oversized, and confusing ones like the StreamZap or ATI Wonder (and the ATI is way too heavy).

Maybe I just got small hands, a simplistic brain, and prefer ease of use?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mls
Interesting to note that yes the silver Hauppauge remote had only 34 buttons. At the same time the StreamZap has 35 (one more), yet it has less direct functionallity in SageTV (even with the macro keys) than the Hauppauge remote.
The silver remote shares 2 commands each on the 4 arrow keys, for example, where the Streamzap uses 8 buttons for those same functions. That can be good, though, when you are on a menu & want to change the volume of the video playing in the background.

Quote:
Not sure why you guys need more keys or bigger remotes.
It all comes down to personal preference... and no one remote is the perfect remote for everyone. Personally, I like the MX-700 & all its available buttons -- I like to have many commands directly accessible instead of always having to go through the menus to get where I want to go. I have just about every SageTV command I could possibly use mapped to some button. Edit: Oh yeah... plus the MX-700 can emit a different IR code for every function I use it for in a few applications, making it easier to use the Hauppaoge IR receiver/software to control everything.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 06-19-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, the Streamzap has plenty of buttons for most of my use, but I wish there were a couple more so I could map some of the DVD specific functions to buttons.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I find that the streamzap remote is ok, but I don't like how the number pad is on the top, IMO it would be better to have it on the bottom. Yea More Macro Buttons would be nice. Just My Two Cents.

,cc

***MY CURRENT SYSTEM***P4, XP Home w/SP2, (1) Blackbird Card w/ Streamzap Remote. 300 GB HDD. 256MB RAM. Using Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 w/Tv-Out
Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Sage User

MX-700 Config File

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It all comes down to personal preference... and no one remote is the perfect remote for everyone. Personally, I like the MX-700 & all its available buttons -- I like to have many commands directly accessible instead of always having to go through the menus to get where I want to go. I have just about every SageTV command I could possibly use mapped to some button. Edit: Oh yeah... plus the MX-700 can emit a different IR code for every function I use it for in a few applications, making it easier to use the Hauppaoge IR receiver/software to control everything.

- Andy
Opus4...Would it be possible for you to post your MX-700 .MXD file? I love my (2) MX-700's and your file would save me a ton of time. I plan to use IRMAN and Girder to get the IR commands to control Sage. I did not know, since you were using the Hauppauge card to receive IR, if that would keep the .MXD file from working with my setup.

I just got Sage installed and LOVE it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehopper
Opus4...Would it be possible for you to post your MX-700 .MXD file? I love my (2) MX-700's and your file would save me a ton of time. I plan to use IRMAN and Girder to get the IR commands to control Sage. I did not know, since you were using the Hauppauge card to receive IR, if that would keep the .MXD file from working with my setup.
See the link in my sig: "2) Replace it".

But if you aren't using it with the Hauppauge receiver, you really don't need to bother with what I did there; just program any code you want for each button & teach it to Girder.

I've attached a file that I _think_ is from back when I was trying to teach _real_ RC5 codes to my MX-700 (before I knew it wouldn't toggle correctly). If I found the correct one, this Pronto CCF file contains all RC5 codes, but they don't toggle. These would be perfect for using with a another receiver, since you wouldn't have to worry about needing them to toggle & you only need to teach Girder a single code per button. It has been months since I used that file, so I'm not sure it is the right one.

- Andy
Attached Files
File Type: zip RC5.zip (79.2 KB, 297 views)
Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Sage User

MX-700 File

Thanks, I'll give it a try this eve.

Steve
Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Sage User

Opus4,

The file you sent me is a Pronto file and it is great (the MX-700 edit imported it perfectly). The only trouble I've had with my MX-700/Girder setup is it sends the commands twice to Sage. So, if I'm naving around my pics, I use the Down action and it moves down (2) instead of 1. I tried using differnt codes, hitting the button quickly when teaching Girder, etc and nothing works. I tried using my kitchen TV remote to control Sage (re-learing with Girder) and it works great.

I've been reading that there is something about a "repeat rate" than might be adjustable. Have you ever heard of this? I don't know if the MX-700 software has the ability to adjust the "repeat rate" -- I'm going to look into that now. But.. do you know if Girder does???

Edit: I wanted to note I'm using Girder 3.3.0. I know that the newest version is 3.3.7 and didn't know if this was a bug in the older version.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by swithey; 01-13-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

I know very little about Girder, so I'm not sure what would cause that double action, unless it is also recognizing that it is an RC5-protocol code & isn't toggling OR if that Pront CCF file just doesn't have something right. You cold always try downloading the MX700 setup file in that Hauppauge link #3 in my sig lines & see if _real_ RC5 codes work properly. Or -- if you have a real Hauppauge remote, simply try teaching one of its buttons to Girder.

You could also goto Remote Central & download lots of CCF or MX-700 setup files just to get _some_ sort fo IR codes for a device to add to your MX-700.

- Andy
Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Opus4,

I have been to remote central and have tried a number of other remote codes. Some do the double, so do not (but it's not consistent). It's really funky. I'm starting to think the version of Girder I have may be buggy and need to upgrade. I'll try your Hauppauge link and see how it works out tonight. And, the latest version of Girder.

Side note -- My wife thinks I'm crazy because I've spent so much time on this SageTV project (in the eves).... But the part I keep telling her is it's just fun to do and I know I'll be happy with the final result.

Thanks again for you help.

Steve