SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

Need your opinions on prebuilt HTPC

Hi there
Ok I been looking for a prebuilt HTPC in my price range for my bedroom, to network with my HTPC in my TV room. I like to put SageTV Client Version 2.0 on the BR HTPC. My Needs are nothing top of the line just the basic dvd/pvr htpc and it must be prebuilt and inexpensive. I just don't have the time in my life to start another home-built project that I most likely will never finish.

So I'm Looking at TVPC 1: I'm thinking of adding a bigger HD and add SageTv client, USB-UIRT and a Hauppauge Roslyn PVR Card.

This is what I found............Take a look an tell me what you think. Don't hold back

http://www.tvpc.com/shop.html

Thanks guys for any opinions

Side-note: SageTV Version 2.0 is now polished e-nuff for my wife taste. So now I can sell my two ReplayTV's with lifetime, an make a small profit and be a 100% HTPC home
Old 06-22-2004, 11:30 PM
SageTVaholic

This could get ugly (and I'm in a kind of evil mood so don't take it personally).

1) Celeron (ick), something about intentionally crippled CPUs just bothers me.
2) It's an MSI base, lets not go there (I'm 0 for 2 with MSI)
3) XP Home, again with the crippled (maybe I'm just insane)
4) I'm not fond of the "Cube" style PCs but that's me.

If you want a pre-built Sage system, why not check out TapeItAll. They're a Sage partner (I think that's the right term) and thier PVR looks like a rather impressive. Here's the specs on their CES machine:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ight=tapeitall

and their product page:
http://www.tapeitall.com/Products.asp
Old 06-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
This could get ugly (and I'm in a kind of evil mood so don't take it personally).

If you want a pre-built Sage system, why not check out TapeItAll. They're a Sage partner
stanger89

Nothing personal taken.That's just the kind of reply I'm looking for. TapeItAll would be would be Great, But for one thing TapeItAll unit's does not support DD-5.1 audio playback with DVD's. And that is a "must" for my BR unit. The HTPC in my TV room is an "TapeItAll" which I am 100% happy with. It's perfect DVR for my C-band Dish. and The kids are more then happy with the TapeItAll's DD 2.0 audio. And it keeps their hands off of my Integra DPS8.3 DVD player.

I wish I could go with TapeItAll . I will give Mike of TapeItAll a call an see what he can do for me.

Thanks once again for the replay. All others are welcome.

Jones
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 AM

Ask mike if has SPDIF out then all need is a Creative Labs Creative Decoder DDTS-100 - Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic II & DTS Neo6 then you need set loudspeakers (5.1, 6.1 or 7.1)
Here a review of it
http://www.nordichardware.com/review.../2004/DDTS100/

Last edited by SHS; 06-23-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the Link.

My TapeItAll does have a SPDIF out. I'm going to have to look into this box.

thx
Old 06-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Well if want ask Q hit Creative Labs News server news://news.soundblaster.com
The only downside I can think of maybe with games, stereo should be fine.

Last edited by SHS; 06-23-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

With this Box I don't see anyway to hook this up to my HT speaker system. This looks to be for PC/computer 5.1/6.1/7.1 speakers only..............To bad
Old 06-23-2004, 10:39 AM

No it not made for reg HT speaker system which need a pre-amplifier like a reg HT Receiver has build in how ever you should be able to hook to pre-amplifier only with 1/8 to RCA.
Creative Labs Speakers has it pre-amplifier build in to the Sub Woofer.
I was just think that your BR which didn't have Speakers in it rigth now so I think that maybe GigaWorks Plus 7.1, MegaWorks Plus 6.1 or maybe MegaWorks Plus 5.1 good option in there.
I think is best over all option (1) Creative Inspire T7700 and (1) DDTS-100 Decoder for under $300 which has then enough power but I guest if need more killer power there alway the GigaWorks Plus 7.1.

Last edited by SHS; 06-23-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:48 AM
SageTVaholic

If it's got S/PDIF, that should be all you need for DVD playback. Just curious, but what are you going to be hooking it up to? And what decoders does it use?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
If it's got S/PDIF, that should be all you need for DVD playback. Just curious, but what are you going to be hooking it up to? And what decoders does it use?
My TapeItAll unit is stock. I really have not mess with any 3rd party decoders till yeasterday with FFDshow & DScaler Filter.

This is the reply I got back from mike 3 months ago about DD 5.1 and TapeItAll. He built the system so I thought he would know, an left it at that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Mike
Question, Can TapeItAll A2201 output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio when
using DVD's ? I just started using my TapeItAll A2201 to watch
DVD's and I believe all it is outputting to my stereo is Dolby
Digital 2.0 audio. Is there option in the setup that needs to be
check to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Or is the A2201 only capable
of Dolby Digital 2.0. If so is there a upgrade sound card that
will get me Dolby Digital 5.1

Thanks

"The unit only supports 2.0 via the spdif (digital) connector, however there may a couple of options which I will look into and get back to you on."

Thanks!
Mike
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what audio drivers are use. I did try all the check box options in XP and for the sound card, I even tired AC3Filter. But give up when I got that email from Mike.

thanks for the reply

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 06-23-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:58 AM

You only option when come playing DVD disc is to use reg Soft DVD Player like PowerDVD, WinDVD and not SageTV.
The other work around with DVD is and REALmagic Xcard but againe dosen't work well with SageTV with DVD.
Before start jump up and down it has nothing to do with SageTV it has to with 3rdparty DirectShow filter which most of them don't allow registry saving for there DirectShow filter or do allow for a few option like with InterVideo filter.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I used radlight to configure my cyberlink audio decoder
it can do up to 7.1 audio
Old 06-23-2004, 12:55 PM

Yup cyberlink dose allow per-config whit los option in it DS filter you know it odd InterVideo did to but stop allowing it after ver 3.
Only downside with them is dosen't support VMR or DXVA I can't wait see ver 6 I can hope they do much better job and stick with open DS filter option.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

I have found that it works fine when changing the DXVA mode in "sage" to D or C though
but yeah the VMR9 issue is weak cause I think it could surpass sonic in video quality
Old 06-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

Guys

You see This is why I want an at least 90% pre built HTPC system. I don't want to be dealing with PowerDVD, WinDVD ReaLmagic Xcard,audio decoder's DS filter options, and editing the registry

I'm fine with upgrading and adding hardware here an there. But for the most part I want something up configure and really to go.

I want to move on from SA Replaytv/Tivo dvr's with something that offers the best PQ. But I don't want a new hobby where I'm spending hours tweaking and optimizing an editing Registrys

Thanks for all the ideas. But my quest for a pre built Sage-TV based HTPC with DD 5.1 dvd playback for under $800 is still on.

Sidenote: I will try some of the things posted above in getting my TapeItAll unit to output 5.1
Old 06-23-2004, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sidenote: I will try some of the things posted above in getting my TapeItAll unit to output 5.1
Well these will probably be the only way

you know they make TiVos with DVD burners
I bet they can do the 5.1 out of the box and are around 800
sell in paper had them for that much price drop 100

also you can probably get the system perfected in less than a day or two but there will always be updates and add ons remember we are not locked down like a TiVo is
Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
Well these will probably be the only way

you know they make TiVos with DVD burners
I bet they can do the 5.1 out of the box and are around 800
sell in paper had them for that much price drop 100

I'm trying to get away from Replaytv an Tivo. Not go back to it.

The has to be a "non-hobbyist" HTPC solution for people like me.

And I will find it
Old 06-23-2004, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

SHS,

Are you referring to the TapeItAll specifically? I play DVDs in DD 5.1 from Sage all the time. The only things I can see keeping the TapItAll from outputting DD over S/PDIF is decoders or soundcard, either of which should be relatively easy to remedy I would think.

Fluffdaddy,

Are you wanting digital or analog 5.1?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

I'm talking about "TapeItAll". I would like to get digital 5.1 audio

*I'm going to email Mike of "TapeItAll" an ask why he says his units can't do 5.1
Old 06-23-2004, 04:28 PM

stanger89 there are two S/PDIF mode RAW which know as BitStream most comm ref to as AC3, DD 2.0 though 5.1, etc, etc or PCM most comm ref to as Wave.
Well this can be comm problem to is some DVD you need tell it use DD 5.1 in Audio Perf Setup on DVD Disc before play it or it fall back Stereo mode or DD 2.0 but it up to the External Receiver which should make no diff what kind S/PDIF output you weather it by it self or on a soundcard, Far I know there should be no reson for it not output DD 5.1 BitStream over S/PDIF port to and External Receiver which take care of the all of decoding.
It all possable your Receiver not Full Compatible.