SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Chromecast

Really interesting stuff coming from Google - I see in THIS something actually changing the status quo in my home media centers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns

Bout half way through it starts talkin' about Chromecast....
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Sage Icon

Heh, just read about it and came here to post, and you beat me to it.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/google-chromekey/

My first thought was, remember how Jeff was interviewed once upon a time and talked about wanting to make Sage into a packaged dongle type thing? I wonder if there's any connection between those words and this device (meaning, the device could someday be pushed firmware that could include cloud-based DVR-type function). Could just be coincidence, but any time I see Google doing anything related to media on a TV set, I immediately wonder if the Sage team has any hand in it....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Really interesting stuff coming from Google - I see in THIS something actually changing the status quo in my home media centers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns

Bout half way through it starts talkin' about Chromecast....
Unfortunately they've taken the video private.

Interesting, though of course it doesn't work for any of us who still have non-HDMI TV's in their media stable. Still waiting on my old Mitsu to die.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WmpOis2UEJg

Or you could just see the video on the Chromecast website: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...romecast/#play

Last edited by Brent; 07-24-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Heh, just read about it and came here to post, and you beat me to it.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/google-chromekey/

My first thought was, remember how Jeff was interviewed once upon a time and talked about wanting to make Sage into a packaged dongle type thing? I wonder if there's any connection between those words and this device (meaning, the device could someday be pushed firmware that could include cloud-based DVR-type function). Could just be coincidence, but any time I see Google doing anything related to media on a TV set, I immediately wonder if the Sage team has any hand in it....
I just want my DVR/extender to be as good as an HD300, but as small and convenient as this USB dongle. Put SageTV/GoogleFiberTV on this dongle and sell it to the world. I know that is probably a pipe dream tho
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

"just click it on your phone and it plays on the tv...."

I can see the cell-overage bill outrage already. time to sign-up for UNLIMITED data!
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

It streams content from the source, not the phone. But there will be outrage none the less
Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Another commercial demoing Chromecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKG5...layer_embedded

Looks like open SDK as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Sage Expert

The inevitable question: Can it play MY media?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
The inevitable question: Can it play MY media?
Seems like the SDK allows for playing content from local source via a URL. Time for the brilliant SageTV 3rd party devs to explore this one. Would of course work only as well as your WiFi speed.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Would of course work only as well as your WiFi speed.
Maybe they'll get around to releasing an ethernet version. Would be nice to have the option. The problem is most people would prefer wifi for ease.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

I don't get it. Why do this and have googletv as a separate devices? Wouldn't it have been better to combine?

Where is the consumer Sagetv 8 non-fiber version!??
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
I don't get it. Why do this and have googletv as a separate devices? Wouldn't it have been better to combine?
Yes. Could be GoogleTV will eventually "on a stick"?

Quote:
Good question. Better question: Will we ever see a consumer, non-fiber version? I hope so but I'm not sure that is a for-certain thing.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I think eventually GoogleTV will incorporate the functionality of a Google Cast Receiver (much as this Chromecast dongle is).

Although in theory GoogleTV is really an android tablet without a screen, connected to a TV. I think it's days are numbered, especially if this Google Cast thing takes off.

With the proliferation of Smart Phones and Tablets, this kind of integration is probably the future of the living room. The big missing piece, assuming we can get local media to play back in the GoogleCast ecosystem, is how do we get PVR functionality. Sage's recording engine is still the best - I suspect we'll have a way to GoogleCast sage recordings in 3 months or less
Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I think eventually GoogleTV will incorporate the functionality of a Google Cast Receiver (much as this Chromecast dongle is).

Although in theory GoogleTV is really an android tablet without a screen, connected to a TV. I think it's days are numbered, especially if this Google Cast thing takes off.
I agree. There may be some functionality/apps transition from GoogleTV to ChromeCast as GoogleTV fades. Would be nice if they do some integration of Google FiberTV into GoogleCast also although I'm not sure how that would work.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Sage Icon

This product doesn't excite me. Am I missing something. This is simalar to what other products have (Samsung sync, Plex, I don't know what else).

This is what I found on the website:
Quote:
Subscriptions may be required to use with certain content providers.
Is there going to be some subscription client on most of their things? Or just only referring to things like netflix?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

One scary thing I saw in several of the articles about this on the internet is that part of the latest Android update is they are introducing a new "enhanced" DRM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't think this will come anywhere close to replacing SageTV but I can see it helping to add in a much needed feature, 1080p Netflix & Hulu streaming (Netflix is officially supported, don't know about Hulu) with an awesome way to actually select content (your Smartphone).

I just ordered one in order to replace the horrible Samsung SmartTV Netflix app which is junk to use and only does 720p.

Side note:
Please, please, please, don't say PlayOn - I don't consider that an acceptable option when it only supports 480p streaming.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post

Side note:
Please, please, please, don't say PlayOn - I don't consider that an acceptable option when it only supports 480p streaming.
PLEX seems to do this already but you need to get hardware at the TV. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nncddgkiibboil

I know not the same but you can queue and have it view-able full screen anytime.

Last edited by QueOnda; 07-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
PLEX seems to do this already but you need to get hardware at the TV. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nncddgkiibboil

I know not the same but you can queue and have it view-able full screen anytime.
If PlayOn would just get their act together and support 1080p then SageTV wouldn't be lacking for much...

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s

Last edited by will; 10-26-2013 at 06:08 AM.