SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

P2 Updates

Any word on the next batch of enhancements to P2?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think there will be any in the near future.

I've reached the point where we use sage just for TV viewing - recorded / live.

I find myself using online services like Pandora / Netflix / Amazon / Hulu for most everything else, which sort of works in a kludgey way in Sage but is very nice in the Google TV / Roku / Chromecast world.

If any bugs turn up in P2 I'll probably fix them (especially if I see them!) but I don't expect much beyond that.

btl.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I don't think there will be any in the near future.

I've reached the point where we use sage just for TV viewing - recorded / live.

I find myself using online services like Pandora / Netflix / Amazon / Hulu for most everything else, which sort of works in a kludgey way in Sage but is very nice in the Google TV / Roku / Chromecast world.

If any bugs turn up in P2 I'll probably fix them (especially if I see them!) but I don't expect much beyond that.

btl.

Same boat here, and less andless of sage for anything other than a reocrding backend. I personally haven't used sage in my house in over 4 weeks. Jamie uses it occasionally to watch her shows, but even that is maybe 2 times a week. She has been using plex and roku.

Bialio - check out this https://aereo.com/

Coming to chicago on sept 13th -- i know you are in Texas somewhere (i think) so it may be available for you already. Im hoping it will fill the "livetv" void in the roku plex environment.

Wrems is using it now, and said its mostly good, but def. can use some impovements. Either way you can get a free no contract 31 day trial!

I am also seeing some major progress from a few mythtv developers which are trying to utilize the HLS support built into newer mythtv builds to stream not only LIVE tv from myth to roku, but also recordings and such. this would prevent the need to transcode all of your recorded content.

might end up being a nice option.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah , aereo is coming to Dallas soon, but their website is very light on details of how it actually works. When you boil it down, is it just another cloud based video stream?

I probably will keep on keepin' on with P2 on an HD300 as my viewing device of choice for TV - mainly for comskip. I've seen .edl files be off enough that I'm not ready to process the commercials out.

btl.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Yeah , aereo is coming to Dallas soon, but their website is very light on details of how it actually works. When you boil it down, is it just another cloud based video stream?

I probably will keep on keepin' on with P2 on an HD300 as my viewing device of choice for TV - mainly for comskip. I've seen .edl files be off enough that I'm not ready to process the commercials out.

btl.
yeah, the comskip thing... thats why i keep both copies until we are done watching it. sage holds the clean full copy in raw form, and then unraid server has the mp4 with comm cut out. I was running 2 sections in Plex for a while - DVR - No Commercials and DVR - Commercials for that exact reason.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

P2 is very nice (). I'd encourage you to maintain it. Only a small number of changes would make it even better.

SageTV is for much more than live TV. Family photos, videos, Cinema Movies, Music, LiveTV, Recorded TV...

None of the other solutions have such a nice integrated solution.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
SageTV is for much more than live TV. Family photos, videos, Cinema Movies, Music, LiveTV, Recorded TV...

None of the other solutions have such a nice integrated solution.
I used to agree, but No longer do. Plex MEdia Server and is media management capabilities are top notch, and not limited to the sage ecosystem. Mobile, web ui, TV, on network, off network with plex sync, it has everything i always wanted for sage to do and more.

all of the above mentioned are part of plex's core system: see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 2.18.05 PM.png (518.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

I'm always open to investigating alternate solutions.
How does Plex integrated with an HDHR or Ceton?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
no direct integration via plex. you would need to use custom developed agents/scanners to access anything recorded via the hdhr or centon such as:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57842

the above code is integrations with SageTV - so recorded TV/Movies or ANYTHING actually that SageTV knows about and stored in its database.

because of the current project scope of Plex Media Server there is no push for "Live TV" to be integrated into plex. that being said there is a fork out there of guys that are working diligently on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Plex is not a PVR It is simply a frontend to view prerecorded shows or ripped DVD's ... Music and Photos.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

Ok - so that makes it basically useless from my POV.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

I need a client-server solution that does all of the above.

Are there any real contenders to SageTV?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I need a client-server solution that does all of the above.

Are there any real contenders to SageTV?
Contenders no pretenders yes. There is NEXTPVR also BMC with NEXTPVR plugin.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok - so that makes it basically useless from my POV.
what renders it "useless" the no live tv aspect?

plex is true client server in every sense of the word... its just not a closed ecosystem like sage. meaning that its not limited to sagetv client sfotware, or extenders. (i realize that the likes of Sean and other rockstar devs have done things to make content available via other means)

plex is not just a front end for you media as nyplayer said its much more and includes channels to allow for aggregated content. Its more of a content aggregator in my opinion.

if you are looking for something to do "All of the above" including live tv, and online content well, the only thing that comes close is xbmc, and thats not even close in my opinion.

I much prefer for roku on the tv, and then once aereo tv comes to chicago on sept 13... we will be using that for live tv.

you also have the option with roku/ios to do something called simple.tv which is a pvr all in one box with added ability to stream outside of the network for streaming solutions:

the only thing close to a one stop shop for dvr, online content, personal content, that does them all well is roku with plex/simple.tv/aereo/sagetvplugins/netflix channel/{music channels}/amazon vod

just my opinion. Everyone has a different set of requirements, and as such no 1 solution is perfect... for pvr - sage was it.. but as my household changes w do less and less live tv and more online / recorded content which roku is really hard to beat...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Right now I find online content useless for my needs ... I guess I really do not care for streaming etc... When I watch TV I mostly watch live sports and like to seat in front of my large screen TV Drink a beer etc. or go to the game.... And most of the channels I watch are not available online.

I really do not care to watch TV on a phone tablet etc...

A good example today was watching the Solheim Cup on the golf channel they switched to Online Streaming for about 2 hours. Worst 2 hours I have experienced watching sports. Commercials constant Interruptions... Quality sucked... sound sucked..

and this is with a speed of
Download Speed 60Mbps and upload speed of 12.27 Mbps

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

I came here expecting to see a discussion on P2 Updates

From my perspective... I've been extremely busy with some other projects lately, and I've been spending less time on the SageTV side of things. I joke to people that I'm semi-retired from SageTV Sage/P2 is working great for my needs, and I don't see myself moving from it in the short term... but I suspect that I'll be moving to Plex at some point.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Can anyone who has moved away from Sage explain: are you using something to keep track of what has been recorded and/or watched to avoid recording endless copies of various shows from piling up in recording directories? That's probably the main thing that has kept me from moving away from Sage as a frontend.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage is pretty good about not recording multiple copies of the same thing - it doesn't depend on you watching the site (in sage) to not record extra copies of it...

btl.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

But once you delete the show, if it isn't marked Watched, doesn't Sage record it again?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

That I don't know.