SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Sage User

For those on google fiber tv, what client are you using?

Since post merger, just curious if anyone has been able to use their sage clients or hd 300 boxes to watch google fiber tv?

On my info page it says Sage TV 8 client which is not otherwise available (other than from google I understand)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I should be able to confirm this by next month roughly.

I've been told that the SageTV extenders will not be recognized by Google Fiber. I wish that weren't true. Once I'm on Google Fiber I'll confirm. Right now fiber has been run throughout all the streets/sidewalks in my fiberhood so they are now connecting building-by-building, unit-by-unit as most of my hood is multi-tenant buildings.

PS: You from KC also?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Sage User

Yeah, KCMO.

I have had google fiber for about a month now. Their tv interface is not well optimized. Sure wish we could tweak it. Also, I would like to be able to watch tv on my laptop/computers. Was wondering if I had a sage client if it would let me watch tv.

The internet speed is nice, btw:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5nv53kS.jpg (716.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch View Post
Yeah, KCMO.

I have had google fiber for about a month now. Their tv interface is not well optimized. Sure wish we could tweak it. Also, I would like to be able to watch tv on my laptop/computers. Was wondering if I had a sage client if it would let me watch tv.

The internet speed is nice, btw:

Wow...salivating over those stats!!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 PM
SageTVaholic

One would hope there is still a plugin system buried in there that could be leveraged - just a matter of getting into it. I promise if they expand it to my neighborhood, I will work hard at it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
One would hope there is still a plugin system buried in there that could be leveraged - just a matter of getting into it. I promise if they expand it to my neighborhood, I will work hard at it.
I assume attempting to connect with a v7 or hd300 client would be futile? Just odd that I can't watch for a service that I am paying for on any device I want.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch View Post
Yeah, KCMO.The internet speed is nice, btw:

What router do you have? Many routers can't handle WAN/LAN throughput anywhere near 1Gig. See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What router do you have? Many routers can't handle WAN/LAN throughput anywhere near 1Gig. See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/
That list is a bit dated honestly. Some of the routers they grade down for the early firmware, but never updated after they first came out. I have the Asus RT-AC66U which has been mentioned as one of the favorites by the few Google Fiber users I know. There are several worthy routers that can handle 1Gig now. But for many it will mean buying a new one when they do get Gigabit...
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Brent - I have 100Mbps service now that can run up to 150Mbps if I upgrade my modem - the issue is that I don't think my Asus RT-N16 can handle the speed.

p.s. It is nice to see your blog back in operation and I look forward to reading about Google Fiber/SageTV8
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
SageTVaholic

By the way Twitch -you're getting ripped off

The difference between your actual speeds and the advertised speed is over 50 Mbps - that is about 10X faster than the average broadband in the country!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
By the way Twitch -you're getting ripped off

The difference between your actual speeds and the advertised speed is over 50 Mbps - that is about 10X faster than the average broadband in the country!
To be serious for a second, most of these benchmarks use TCP, and report the end to end throughput to the application. On an ethernet network, there is roughly 78-90 bytes of overhead inside each ethernet frame:
14b ethernet header
20b IPv4 header (or 40b IPv6)
20b TCP header (not including timestamp option, 32b with timestamps)
---
For a total of 54 bytes overhead, so you have 1460b of payload (or 66b overhead with TCP timestamps, and 1448b payload).

Then there is more overhead outside the frame: 8 bytes of preamble & framing before the frame, 4 bytes of ethernet CRC after the frame, and a 12 byte inter-packet gap, for a total of 24b overhead.

So, assuming no TCP timestamps, the best you can do is use 1460b out of every frame, which is : 1460/(1514 + 24) = 0.949
And with timestamps, that number becomes 1448 /(1514+24) = 0.941

Or about 94-95% of the link speed. So he's getting EXACTLY what he's paying for.

Now: If anybody is still awake -- Will the Google Fiber TV extenders connected to a SageTV V7 server?? That's what I want to know!

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)

Last edited by drewg; 09-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Now: If anybody is still awake -- Will the Google Fiber TV extenders connected to a SageTV V7 server?? That's what I want to know!
Hopefully Brent can tell us this when he is up and running.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
To be serious for a second, most of these benchmarks use TCP, and report the end to end throughput to the application. On an ethernet network, there is roughly 78-90 bytes of overhead inside each ethernet frame:
14b ethernet header
20b IPv4 header (or 40b IPv6)
20b TCP header (not including timestamp option, 32b with timestamps)
---
For a total of 54 bytes overhead, so you have 1460b of payload (or 66b overhead with TCP timestamps, and 1448b payload).

Then there is more overhead outside the frame: 8 bytes of preamble & framing before the frame, 4 bytes of ethernet CRC after the frame, and a 12 byte inter-packet gap, for a total of 24b overhead.

So, assuming no TCP timestamps, the best you can do is use 1460b out of every frame, which is : 1460/(1514 + 24) = 0.949
And with timestamps, that number becomes 1448 /(1514+24) = 0.941

Or about 94-95% of the link speed. So he's getting EXACTLY what he's paying for.

Drew
excellent analysis but if anyone else is still awake, this can only be achieved in one direction if the other direction is unloaded. typically 2-3% of the rate in one direction is required in the other direction to support TCP ACK signaling. also, simultaneous UL/DL transmission will reduce achievable rates.

now the geek in me really wants to know: is that 1ms real or do they just not support decimal places and round up to 1ms????
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 AM
SageTVaholic

You guys are way, way ahead of me. When I get my Google Fiber installation finally I need to have some of you smart, tech guys to visit so we can really see what this Google Fiber & FiberTV can do
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Back to the router front, I, personally, have switched to an old Atom board running pfsense. WAY faster than most consumer routers, has a lot of great plugins, and some great features (like HTTP caching, for instance).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Back to the router front, I, personally, have switched to an old Atom board running pfsense. WAY faster than most consumer routers, has a lot of great plugins, and some great features (like HTTP caching, for instance).
pfSense FTW!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
pfSense FTW!
The funny thing is, I never even got around to buying a case for the thing - I've got my router currently running on this old atom board, neatly installed in a cardboard box from newegg... stay classy!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I run mine on a Super Micro Atom server. Rack mounted with IPMI.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Sage User

Well if anyone is in town and wants to bring their hd300 extender or sage client with them and try it out on the google fiber network, please let me know

As far as my router, it is the google fiber router which is Gig E. I'm able to transfer files within my local network at close to the full GigE. From external servers, is a different story.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
excellent analysis but if anyone else is still awake, this can only be achieved in one direction if the other direction is unloaded. typically 2-3% of the rate in one direction is required in the other direction to support TCP ACK signaling. also, simultaneous UL/DL transmission will reduce achievable rates.
Well, if its one connection running bidirectionally, then the data segments carry the acks for the other direction, and you loose nothing.

If its 2 (or more) connections, things get much more complex, and you tend to loose more bandwidth than you'd expect because the acks from one connection can get queued behind the data for the other connection, so it introduces artificial delay due to the queuing overhead. With a lan, and a NIC & OS that supports multiple TX & RX queues, most of this goes away & you're left with just the loss due to the acks. With typical consumer h/w, everything uses single queues, and you have the extra queuing delays due to the entire path from app to app (and not just the link) being carried in a single queue.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)