SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problems Editing Shows Ive Recorded HELP

Ok, Recently Ive been messing around with trying to edit some of the shows I've recorded (taking comercials out), and then re-naming them what they were and replacing them back into the sage recording directory.

But out the four that I have done, 2 of them have started off playing fine and withen some point of watching them they freeze up....not only does the show freeze up but so does sage, I have to ctr+alt+del to close sage and reopen it.

When the files freeze, they freeze in the same exact place each time...but sage thinks that the file is still palying..(the clock still moves).

Ive been editing them with mpegVCR by womble, using their free trial.

The files freeze at different points for each show, but always at the same place for each show.

Ive tryed playing the files through win. media player...and they play fine.

Help Wanted.

Thanks, cc

***MY CURRENT SYSTEM***P4, XP Home w/SP2, (1) Blackbird Card w/ Streamzap Remote. 300 GB HDD. 256MB RAM. Using Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 w/Tv-Out
Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, Recently Ive been messing around with trying to edit some of the shows I've recorded (taking comercials out), and then re-naming them what they were and replacing them back into the sage recording directory.
One thing to keep in mind is that Sage keeps the info on the files length in it's database. This info is based on the original recording, so editting and putting it back with the same name could cause issues. Sage would expect certian things from the file that would not be true. Of course if you add it back to the import library instead, you're going to lose the show's detailed info. But I'd do that and see if Sage plays the file fine as an imported Mpeg2 video with a different name.

Last edited by justme; 06-24-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I will try doing that, & let you know.

Thanks, cc

***MY CURRENT SYSTEM***P4, XP Home w/SP2, (1) Blackbird Card w/ Streamzap Remote. 300 GB HDD. 256MB RAM. Using Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 w/Tv-Out
Old 06-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok,

I moved it under the import directory, & still the same pause.

I have no idea what it could be...like I said it plays fine through WMP.

I don't see how the file could have gotten messed up??

Any more help appreciated.

Thanks, cc

Old 06-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone have any ideas???

,cc

Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 PM

Sorry, no real usefull ideas but... Is it just this one file? If it is all files or you still have the original... Can you re-edit it and try that file? Also you might want to try another video editor, like VideoRedo(they have a free trial). If another editor makes a difference you should contact Wombles to notify them of this issue.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

As for taking the original file and re-editing it, no dice, Ive tryed that.

But I might look into trying another editor, does VideoRedo have to re-encode or is it like Womble's VCR where it just re-saves it??

Thanks For The Ideas.

cc

Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

it just saves
also if you have the same problem with VideoReDo contact them
they should("will") try to patch that
Old 06-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, Downloaded the trial of VideoRedo, got it installed, but I can't seem to get anything edited. I open the original file that I want to edit, I choose to cut the beginning of the file until the show starts to cut first. So I go to the start of the file push<sel. Start>then get to when the show starts and press <Sel End> then I have tryed to cut selection etc.. doesn't seem like it is doing anything. Im assuming its like MpegVCR where right as you edit something you can see the results, but when I try to go to the beginning of the file to see how good the editing is...it starts from what I thought I edited out....CAN ANYONE WHO HAS USED THE EDITIOR GIVE ME THE BASICS ON HOW TO EDIT OUT THINGS SUCH AS COMERCIALS.

Thanks, cc

Old 06-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

You have to save the video. It's basically set start, set end, and either use "cut selection" or "trim unselected." Saving the video will cut out the red areas in the progress bar.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh, Ok,

Thats why I wasn't seeing any progress yet, I have to wait until I save.

Thanks thatdude90210.

,ccerj8

Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
One thing to keep in mind is that Sage keeps the info on the files length in it's database. This info is based on the original recording, so editting and putting it back with the same name could cause issues. Sage would expect certian things from the file that would not be true. Of course if you add it back to the import library instead, you're going to lose the show's detailed info. But I'd do that and see if Sage plays the file fine as an imported Mpeg2 video with a different name.
Would that account for Sage thinking that an edited file is 0 minutes? I edited the commercials out of a file, and it plays fine through Sage. However it always appears as 0 minutes in length - so if I try to fast-forward, it just quits back to the imported video screen..
Old 07-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Where are you trying to play this editted SageRecorded mpg2 from. The normal dir where Sage puts it's recordings or the import dir used for adding other media for Sage to play? If it's the dir sage uses to save recordings then you may(see Sonic advice below) not be able to get around it. If it's in the import dir you might want to change it's name if it's still the same as the original recordings name. Sage should reimport the file(checking it's duration) if it has a new name. As long as the file's stream is not corupted(not always vivsible in playback) then it should playback fine(with the correct duration).

I've also seen this issue with duration before occur with AVIs. I believe it comes from the fact that there are multiple codec on the systen that could playback the file. One gets used by Sage to add the file to the import dirs database and then another gets called for playback. You can get around this by making sure that your codec's have the same prioirtes as used in your SageTV setup. Another simple solution many users have found is to just use the Sonic decoder. It seems to be very reliable in the info it feeds.

I hope something in this was helpfull.

/justme

Last edited by justme; 07-07-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Sage User

Aha! I was tossing the edited video back into Sage's recording dir. I moved it to a different import area, and now its fine. Oh, and I am using the Sonic decoders. Thanks for your help!