SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Sage User

Testing Placeshifter connection problem?

Last week my Placeshifter was working perfect. Had not been a problem for years! I put in a new video card and unplugged the ethernet cable to the computer. I have no idea what the problem is but when I went to use Placeshifter it would not work. (unable to yada yada) So, I remote in to the computer to find out what is happening and went to test placeshifter connection and I get this message. ** Could not connect to the Locator server. Either SageTV cannot access to the internet from this computer or the Locator server is not currently available. **

This is the first time I have ever seen this??? Most all other errors has to do with Port 31099. Which by the way are open.

Can anyone help me.... I am at my wits end???
Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Mine isnt working either, pretty sure the locator service is down.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM

The forum was also down as well so for me all most day
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Sage User

What is the Locator service? Is that something on Sage's part? Connected to the forum server?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage User

Same problem here.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Same problem here... what is funny is that I haven't used Placeshifter in years. Went to use it 2 days ago and it worked fine but gave me the "trial" message even though I had my license loaded (???). Yesterday morning I tried to reload the license and a couple other things. Went to a different house and was getting the message that it couldn't locate my server when I brought up the Placeshifter program. I thought I messed something up. Got home and checked everything out and kept getting the message described above. Game to the forums and see that others are having the same trouble... good I suppose since that likely means I didn't mess anything up!

Hopefully this gets sorted out... but it's been all last night and all day today so far that it has been down. Bummer.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Working again. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Sage User

And I'll confirm that !
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Sage User

Confirmed working again!! Do we know what the problem was? Or if there would be a work around, if this happens again?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

The Locator service was out due to the forum server outage, but it all should be working as of sometime yesterday.

But, for future reference, note that you can still connect using Placeshifter if you have the IP address of the server to connect to. One fairly easy way to know that is to use a dynamic DNS service, which allows you to use a URL address that gets forwarded to your home IP address. Your home router should be able to be configured to update that service regularly with your current IP address. Just search for free dynamic dns providers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage User

So, if I have my IP address and put it into the "connect to this server directly by its hostname or IP address", is would bypass the Locator Server? so when the server goes down again, like this morning, Placeshifter would still work? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Sage User

Hi All,

I'm not quite sure this is true. I have successfully been able to connect using a URL on my HD200 and HD300 when the locator service is down, however when using that same URL with the Placeshifter S/W on my Win7 system, it will not connect unless the locator service is working. It appears that the Placeshifter S/W on the PC wants to confirm that you are in fact using a legitimate copy of Placeshifter. BTW, it was down again earlier today (this morning, PDT).

Shelby
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Administrator

If you were unable to connect using Placeshifter, then something else went wrong or else you still have it configured to use the locator ID because you can configure Placeshifter to use a direct IP address or URL to connect to your own SageTV server w/o any need to contact or connect through the locator server.

What I said a few posts above is valid.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

such as dyndns.org? works for me
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 AM
SageTVaholic

I use no-ip. Works great.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Girl View Post
Hi All,

I'm not quite sure this is true. I have successfully been able to connect using a URL on my HD200 and HD300 when the locator service is down, however when using that same URL with the Placeshifter S/W on my Win7 system, it will not connect unless the locator service is working. It appears that the Placeshifter S/W on the PC wants to confirm that you are in fact using a legitimate copy of Placeshifter. BTW, it was down again earlier today (this morning, PDT).

Shelby
It worked for me... when it went down I created another profile with the current IP address and it connected even though my "normal" profile still indicated a not found status. You mention "URL" in your post... perhaps you were putting the http:// in front of it? I tried that and it didn't work but did work when I used only the IP address, colon, port number.